This is epic! But is it Epic Scale?

Justjokin

Well, this is GW we’re talking about. They have the long term memory of a particularly dimwitted goldfish… So you can’t expect them to remember they’ve previously published multiple games in 8 mm and 6 mm scale and currently have two in that scale on the market right now. Which they mention by name in this very article.

So this is a “new scale” for them. 

Somehow.

The article says that stuff from the current Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis games are compatible with this new one. Both of those games are nominally 8 mm scale whereas the old Epic 40000 / Space Marine Adeptus Titanicus games were nominally 6 mm… Of course, GW has never been particularly good at actually having anything be to scale with whatever scale they claim the game is.

(And I fully expect the community at large to just rock with old Epic models anyway.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new epic is 30K, and it is 8mm scale. So not great news for old epic players but probably not the worst. The big thing is going to be the ruleset. If the rules are good, then they can be applied to older armies and such. Keeping an eye on this as I have a decent investment in epic 40k and would like to see that get revitalized.

Epic 40,000 (1997 Edition) was probably one of the best games GW ever published. Up there with Battlefleet GothicMordheimNecromunda, and Lord of the Rings if you ask me.

I don’t think anyone will have any issues seeing people field “6 mm scale” (Chaos) Space Marines, Titans, and Imperial Guard in lieu of the “8 mm scale” (Chaos) Space Marines, Titans, and Imperial Army of the heresy era. Old school Epic grognards with extensive xenos armies might be a bit locked out… But it’ll probably only be a matter of days until the community creates xenos lists.

I think for myself- the new edition will probably provide nice terrain and minis - but I think the existing rules for epic Armageddon are just fine as they are.  Especially considering the online resources for epic gold and other versions. 
this 30k edition will most likely be just imperial factions that already exist in 30k - no xenos. 
Why wait for the community to come up with additional rules - when one (or several) already exists for 40K epic?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Why buy it for terrain and minis, when we know that GW’s just going to drop it from their production line within a year?

3D printer go brrrt! 

Apparently the Aeronautica Imperialis minis are compatible with the system... and apparently all the Xenos AI minis have gone "last chance to buy." If this is going to actually being a new "Epic" than anything not Space Marines is probably going to be years and years off... and since I just got an order in of a bunch of cool 6mm Necron minis, I won't be holding my breath much for Legions Imperialis (although it is cool seeing minis in this scale in plastic, even if a lot of the STLs out there look way better, lol).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Why buy it for terrain and minis, when we know that GW’s just going to drop it from their production line within a year?

3D printer go brrrt! 

very true - I would be printing anything I needed as well - but I thought if anything may be worthwhile - it was those bits lol.

-d

• Like 3

well, one thing we can be sure of, it will have an epic price point. I'm going to skip this one. Even though the models look very cool, I know I just don't want to pay GW's prices. The current prices for titans are $75, $100, or $170 in epic scale. I am truly astounded by the sheer level of greed from GW. They have already said that the full contents of the new box is no where near what a full army should be. Seriously? I suppose $750-$1000 is the standard entry point for a new GW army these days? What gets me is that price is regardless of scale.

That does bother me. I would have picked up the starter set...and been really happy about all the cool new minis. And then as the new releases come out with, IMHO asinine prices, it would get tossed in the pile and forgotten. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part that making something more affordable would allow more people to get it and they'd end up still making money instead of constantly pricing things as a massive luxury. 

Yay 3D printers!

• Like 1

All my needs for a small scale scifi combined arms wargame are being met quite well by BattleTech and Alpha Strike these days.

Not only does Catalyst turn a blind-eye to the plethora of third-party miniatures on the market, they also don’t give a hoot about 3D prints. Of course, they also sell their own miniatures (which are great) for pretty dang low prices. Full retail price on their “lance packs” works out to be ~$6 per fig.

GW’s sculpts maybe are fancier with all sorts of itty-bitty details, dynamic poses, and whatnot… But I’d argue those sort of things aren’t really wanted for giant stompy military robots.

I do have a huge nostalgic love for Epic 40,000. If this iteration of the game lasts longer than three months and they sell the rulebook separately, I might be tempted to buy the book… and 3D print a bunch of tiny beakies.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...