Warhammer Old World Interested Players & General Discussion

Heya all, now that the prices are released and we have confirmation the other seven WHFB armies will have army rules released, who else is excited?

I tend to like big army rank & flank games so I’d love to get many of us together for semi-regular games, a narrative campaign, etc.

What armies are folks interested in playing, or already have from WHFB?

• Like 1

hmmmm I'm torn. On the one hand, all I really need are the books. I have existing armies, and while I don't have much in the way of TK, I do own stl's for an entire TK themed army. So now I have to have an internal conflict between the collector in me and the hobbyist. The new TK box would give me official TK models in case I ever wanted to use them in an official event (weak) but it would also go towards my collection (moderate) vs paying a significant amount of money for models when I can simply print what I need and have already incurred that cost (strong). Ugh.

• Like 2

oh, I'm a long time WFB player, I currently have full armies for high elves, wood elves, dark elves, orcs, goblins, vampire counts, empire and dwarfs. I traded or sold my beastmen, lizardmen, and tomb kings. I had a smattering of chaos at one point for AoS because the models were so cool, but traded those in to MM. So we can definitely play.

• Like 1

http://shogunminiatures.com/index.html

Wanted to put this out there. I will be going this route. They make wonderful simple metal movement trays (I get the flanged). I will be buying a bunch of 25mm sized trays now for all of my 20mm units. No need to rebase everything since I magnetize my bases. Just toss down a quick coat whatever color blends with your unit's bases and you are good to go. I haven't bought from them in years so I hope they are still in business.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

oh, I'm a long time WFB player, I currently have full armies for high elves, wood elves, dark elves, orcs, goblins, vampire counts, empire and dwarfs. I traded or sold my beastmen, lizardmen, and tomb kings. I had a smattering of chaos at one point for AoS because the models were so cool, but traded those in to MM. So we can definitely play.

Lol, oh wow, yeah you’ve got no excuse not to play in that case!

• Like 1

I am in for games. Live to the south a bit, but am excited to get back into a "real" Warhammer game! I've been on and off with 40K over the years, still butt hurt about AoS, but playing some Necromunda lately and it's been a great time. Mostly have my Dwarves (need rebasing) and Chaos Warriors (maybe Beastmen depending on the playable lists). For dead armies I have Chaos Dwarves, and Demons.

Also, Hello Bro G and wisetiger! Long time no see!

• Like 3

See my link above for shogunminis. I don't intend to rebase at all, what a pain in the ass that will be. I magnetize my bases so I'm just going to order trays for 25mm bases and put my dudes on them. They'll just have extra space between (which for some armies will make it easier for them to line up). I have seen some interesting trays with 20mm slots in them. If I can find STLs for those, they might be nice to print out too to sit atop a metal tray. I've got my books and such on pre-order and now just waiting for them to come in. I also promised my wife I am not buying any more minis for the rest of the year. If I need something, I'll print it or do a real trade for it (while cash for minis is technically a trade, it doesn't fit within the spirit of the promise 😉 )

Overall though, really excited about playing warhammer fantasy battle again. I know I could have been playing older rules or 9th age, but honestly, I didn't like the direction that 8th took the game. I mean some of the units were very cool and great models...but the overall design of the game was geared towards people buying more minis...not being a great game.

I've gotten my hopes up that this is a return to something akin to 6th edition which I absolutely loved.

• Like 3

Its been far too long.

I am definitely getting my WoC and my Skaven ready for this. Just gonna make new movement trays for the bigger base sizes and get to raiding my enemies. 
I've been scouring the internet on the rules and the army lists and am frankly impressed at what this game has become. They did a great job bringing back WHFB and I am excited to get models on the table and start trying out lists. 

My focus will be on WoC to start, but I have a feeling the legacy armies will be widely accepted at tournaments etc... so Skaven will eventually make an appearance. Heck, if the game system does well, we could see these legacy armies getting full releases in the next couple of years, who knows.

I hope we can get a semblance of our old WHFB group together again, that was the golden age of gaming, IME. 

Miss Y'all!!! 

• Like 4

I'll consider WtoW a success if Raindog comes back. 😉

I would not get hopes up about the "Legacy" armies. So far GW has been pretty clear that they aren't going to be support in the future beyond the "get by" lists. Which is a shame. I don't understand why honestly....they picked the two armies that had the worst overall sales to relaunch the game, so why not support the others? No idea. How can they not have Vampire Counts...or even just Necromancer armies?? Fine, the vamps are off licking their wounds...but necromancers are still an issue. Gah...irritating. Will have to wait and see how good the legacy lists are. 

But by pairing down the number of armies, that could allow them room to introduce new ones like Tilea, Cathay or Kislev. They are willing to introduce new models to the game. So releasing a total new army seems possible. Just have to wait and see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

I have been in talks with Raindog, and yes he plans to play. It may have been a topic of discussion between us and a Sheller or two... and Yarbicus has mentioned a plan as well. But lets not get our hopes too high until we've all played a few games.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sankaku_jime said:

I ordered all the rule books on the 6th just waiting for them to arrive so I can immerse myself in all the fluff haha. I have Orcs and Goblins and Empire painted and ready to go I just need some of the modified movement trays!

Ok, I need a link for that.  I didn't realize they were releasing real information until very recently and I have failed to navigate the twisty maze of passages which all look alike at warhammer-community.com to find anything useful.

• Like 1

I’m getting my Orc WarBand together. I have a lot of Black Orcs and Savage Orcs and I found some great proxies to fill out the rest of my list. It will be a little while before it’s all together but I figure if I start now I’ll have it ready by spring sometime. Hopefully the new releases for the orcs will be out sometime this year so I can get the Boarboyz back in my list. 

Haven’t been here since End Times. Long time. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 10:30 AM, Brother Glacius said:

I would not get hopes up about the "Legacy" armies. So far GW has been pretty clear that they aren't going to be support in the future beyond the "get by" lists. Which is a shame. I don't understand why honestly....they picked the two armies that had the worst overall sales to relaunch the game, so why not support the others? No idea. How can they not have Vampire Counts...or even just Necromancer armies?? Fine, the vamps are off licking their wounds...but necromancers are still an issue. Gah...irritating. Will have to wait and see how good the legacy lists are. 

But by pairing down the number of armies, that could allow them room to introduce new ones like Tilea, Cathay or Kislev. They are willing to introduce new models to the game. So releasing a total new army seems possible. Just have to wait and see.

No the Legacy armies are not getting Journals but the PDF's will be as complete are the Grand Army books. Won't know for sure until they are actually dropped.

Not sure what I want to start off with. My main army has always been Vampire Counts. But as they are legacy, might want to go with something else. I figure there might be a ton of TK players out there to start with, but I like that army too. Or I might just wait for my books to get here and then I can see which one appeals to me. Ugh...too many choices and they are all good.

• Like 1