19 hours ago, blackvigil said:

Hey everyone! I am curious if there is anything in the works for 2024. I've played in several OFCC's in the past, and I'd love to bring a new team. What's up?
Failing any info on OFCC, does anyone know of chill, sportsmanship-heavy, and hobby-focused events in the PNW?

Hi there.

Due to the low interest in last year's event, the Senate has reluctantly decided to skip any formal plans for OFCC this year. There might be a large scale competitive 40k event sometime during the summer, but nothing concrete has been planned so far. The club leadership has decided to mainly focus on building up interest in attending Game Nights at the Ordo clubhouse, along with monthly 40k tournaments and quarterly BB events.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news. 🙁

• Sad 2

Thanks for letting me know. It's a bummer, but that's how it goes. My .02 is that game nights at the clubhouse are an inherently limited draw because it offers little more than my local game store, but it's a lot longer drive. OFCC has always been different from other tournaments. It offers a totally different play experience than other tournaments, and it's worth traveling for. I know you guys in the Senate are doing your best, but I figured I'd give my feedback. Thanks again. 

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, blackvigil said:

Thanks for letting me know. It's a bummer, but that's how it goes. My .02 is that game nights at the clubhouse are an inherently limited draw because it offers little more than my local game store, but it's a lot longer drive. OFCC has always been different from other tournaments. It offers a totally different play experience than other tournaments, and it's worth traveling for. I know you guys in the Senate are doing your best, but I figured I'd give my feedback. Thanks again. 

I appreciate hearing your feedback. One thing I want to mention to everyone is that while most participants enjoy their experience playing in an OFCC, the experience running/organizing the event can sometimes be very different. To be blunt, being a Head of Gaming or member of the support staff can be a thankless endeavor at times. There hasn't been a year since the first OFCC where someone didn't complain about army composition, scenarios, painting rubric, etc. We have had 10 different organizers over the last 20 years for the 40k teams event and most of them only headed up the event once; a few of them twice. BigTal was the HoG 3 times and our recently retired senator Evil_Bryan is currently the only person to head the event 4 times; 3 of those years in 2017, 2018, and 2019. And even he was reluctant to do it again in 2023, I think mostly due to changes in the overall 40k meta, plus the fact that GW had the new edition launching 2 months prior to the event. Along with the struggle to find good organizers, the senate also has to contend with negative feedback from potential players and past participants. I had a long talk with our HoGs for the 40k Doubles event in 2023 and they told me that they visited just about every Discord server in the PacNW to promote their event. A lot of the responses were basically "I've never heard of that event, so it's probably not good" or "I went to that event X years ago and had a terrible time, so OFCC is crap!" I was shocked to hear that, but it aligns with the strong emotions and attitudes (both good and bad) that people have shown regarding OFCC. 

In closing, hopefully Ordo can get to the point where we have good solid event organizers and positive overall vibes from the local and regional communities about running an OFCC-type event again. Maybe even in time for 2025? 😎

• Like 1

Thanks for relating all of those experiences. I am bewildered that people would have negative things to say about OFCC, but I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have played in 5 events, 4 40k and 1 fantasy, and only had 1 bad game the whole time. That game was with a player more concerned about winning than the spirit of the event, imo. I chalked that up to being his problem, not a problem with the event. I am sure he thought it all was "lame" because nobody was being sweaty about things. 

Anyway... Thanks for giving this so much thought and responding to me. I was reading the rules and set up for the partners event, and I would love to participate in something like that. I don't have the bandwidth to be a HOG, but I would certainly volunteer to help out with a future event. I am glad this club is still around even though I'm a filthy casual. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackvigil said:

Thanks for relating all of those experiences. I am bewildered that people would have negative things to say about OFCC, but I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have played in 5 events, 4 40k and 1 fantasy, and only had 1 bad game the whole time. That game was with a player more concerned about winning than the spirit of the event, imo. I chalked that up to being his problem, not a problem with the event. I am sure he thought it all was "lame" because nobody was being sweaty about things. 

Anyway... Thanks for giving this so much thought and responding to me. I was reading the rules and set up for the partners event, and I would love to participate in something like that. I don't have the bandwidth to be a HOG, but I would certainly volunteer to help out with a future event. I am glad this club is still around even though I'm a filthy casual. 😛

There's always someone who complains, most of it is people you can't please anyway or they wanted a face melting competitive event. 99% of attendees love the event. OFCC isn't for everyone, but those who attend, usually know what to expect.

The simple reason for no OFCC this year is administration support (as @Blustorm stated) but also cost. A 2024 event was not addressed early enough or HOG's (Head of Gaming) volunteering to run large enough events. Also, the cost of the venue is usually in the $6k-$10k range, and breaking even on that is a must. We don't see that happening this year without a longer run time up to the event. It's not abandoned, just not this year. The Senate is addressing longer term planning and lots of new faces too. Which is great to see the club healthy again after Covid.

There was discussion of a larger 40k event, but nothing firm yet and it would likely be at a smaller/cheaper venue (not in a hotel).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, Blustorm said:

Hi there.

Due to the low interest in last year's event, the Senate has reluctantly decided to skip any formal plans for OFCC this year. There might be a large scale competitive 40k event sometime during the summer, but nothing concrete has been planned so far. The club leadership has decided to mainly focus on building up interest in attending Game Nights at the Ordo clubhouse, along with monthly 40k tournaments and quarterly BB events.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news. 🙁

Sorry to hear this.  I opted out of last year for the fact it was a doubles event.  As far as I recall the 40k team event was 4 person teams and not a 2 person doubles team.  Instead, I went down to Eugune with the 501st as Darth Revan for an Emerald baseball game.  That was my very first major event with the 501st.  Also, just wasn't feeling the doubles event.  My team also was not feeling splitting into two groups for it.  I feel it with a new edition being released soon.  It was like in 2017 I had time to paint up a 7th ed list and had no idea what to replace in it for an 8th edition list.  As one of my units was just removed for 8th.  Which then meant I got stuck with a lot of the Tau lists that year.  

I am surprised to see the response about OFCC bad.  The only one I can think of being bad was perhaps a team that had a misunderstanding in 2018.  Thank you for sharing the reasoning on why it is not happening this year.  The 4-person team event is the only time I really enjoy 40k since its generally not as cutthroat as a typical game of 40k.  

• Thanks 1

The doubles event at the last OFCC was a tournament ... WCP style event. You were right to avoid it if you were looking for the "event" that OFCC has been in the past. I did enjoy the doubles tournament - but it wasn't the good feeling event of the past that I miss and still do. It didn't feel like OFCC... and the 40k tournament wasn't that either sadly.  I am looking forward to one day getting back to that team event... when the OFCC is back.

-d

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torg said:

The doubles event at the last OFCC was a tournament ... WCP style event. You were right to avoid it if you were looking for the "event" that OFCC has been in the past. I did enjoy the doubles tournament - but it wasn't the good feeling event of the past that I miss and still do. It didn't feel like OFCC... and the 40k tournament wasn't that either sadly.  I am looking forward to one day getting back to that team event... when the OFCC is back.

-d

Being transparent, much of the 'old' senate has become more of a player than active senator (but still around). We have a lot of new blood in our senate, and it's great to see such active people running Ordo. I haven't seen so much activity in the Ordo Clubhouse for a long time, lots of events, tournaments, and more.

As for old OFCC style, without a HOG (Head of Gaming) to run it the old style, there's a chance it won't return in the same fashion (maybe a hybrid). That hasn't been set in stone, but that's the reason there was a doubles event last year. Simply because no one who volunteered knew how to run it in the old OFCC style. We were very lucky to have any 40k representation, thanks to those who did step up and run it.

We're always seeking volunteers 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2