Thinking about orcs.....

Orcs were my first warhammer army and I've always really liked playing them. Reading Murphyslawyers posts about starting up an escalation Orc list has me thinking about playing my orcs again.

My first question is: what do you use for biguns' nowadays? There are no bigun' figures, true?

Maybe nobody uses them and thus no-one cares about how to represent them?

After seeing your dark elf army I could only image what your O&G army would look like.

Now on to your bigun' questions:

1) People just nominate a unit as their biguns'

2) No, there are no bigun' figures

3) In all honesty, I've only seen save orc bigun's used in lists so it's not hard to pick out the single horde of savages on the table.

I use as many of the champion orcs as I can. They are included with the regular boyz set...and the sprue with the musician/banner has 3 other bodies that work well for big uns also. After that, I put on as many shoulder pads and helmets as I could find and my block of 40 look pretty big uny. 

I think you could make some adjustments to some 40k nobz as well.

I run choppa and board for the 5+6+ I go deep as opposed to horde and I really like the war-banner in there. Its just solid and gives the boyz an incredible static combat rez that can be tough to earn back through wounds. BSB typically finds himself there too for even more... Most people take savage big uns, too unpredictable with animosity and frenzy checks, Ill stick with my regular boyz. 

Thanks for the good info!

I doubt I'll go down the savage Orc road....I've never been big on the frenzy thing for orcs...and the imagery doesn't really grab me either.

My first thought is something like:

low magic, like a NG lvl2 and a goblin lvl2 on a wolf.

a big unit (40... Is that big enough?) of black orcs with a BO BSB, and a BO warboss

A big unit of Orcs or Biguns (again, how big is big?) with a big boss.

Night goblins with fanatics and netters (50 enough?)

Boar boy biguns

2 doom divers

Giant (I dug out a treasure from my catacombs tonight)

3 units of wolf riders

Thoughts?

Your proto list is pretty decent

Only one unit can be big uns however.

40 man blocks are pretty healthy, use your big uns on your foot orcs.

The regular orc boy big unz should probably be 50

Boar boyz are the disappointment on damage without a character

I'd do

Boss on boar

Black orc BSB to go in the boyz

Lvl 2 scroll caddy

Goblin hero on wolf with GW

Goblin hero on wolf with GW

50 orc boyz big uns, FC, shield

2 x 25 NG, fanatics, nets, STD, musician

4 units of 5 wolf riders

40 black orcs, FC

6 Boar boyz, FC , spears

Giant

Doom diver x 2

Thanks for the good info!

I doubt I'll go down the savage Orc road....I've never been big on the frenzy thing for orcs...and the imagery doesn't really grab me either.

My first thought is something like:

low magic, like a NG lvl2 and a goblin lvl2 on a wolf.

a big unit (40... Is that big enough?) of black orcs with a BO BSB, and a BO warboss

A big unit of Orcs or Biguns (again, how big is big?) with a big boss.

Night goblins with fanatics and netters (50 enough?)

Boar boy biguns

2 doom divers

Giant (I dug out a treasure from my catacombs tonight)

3 units of wolf riders

Thoughts?

Your main fighting force between the BO's, BigUns, and Boarboyz are all orcs, you need ORC magic. Get a level 2 in with the BO's and put your BSB with your big uns to quell animosity, that makes both of your main blocks immune to squabble. Orc shamans are awesome, they are tough and can buff up with magic, the character sniping is great, and hand of gork can win games... as a horde of black orcs suddenly appear on your flank... 

40 is satisfactory on Orcs. 50 is too many, straight up. 

I like everything else in the list, that is my only suggestion. 

Thanks for the tips!

Can a direct damage spell be cast from a second rank?  Particularly the Orc signature spell which is a direct line and thus would hit the orc in front of the caster.....I'm thinking no.....

@HeroZero:  I like the goblin BB on wolfs with GWs idea.  I don't really have any so thats a great reason to make some new characters which is always fun (I have one but he's in need of an upgrade) Fun modeling possibilities are springing to mind.  I presume you just choose your charge targets very carefully so that you survive long enough to strike with your GWs?

Those are just the haters Lion. Can you blame them for wanting to report you for too much awesome?

Ah, yes what a swell group of fellows y'all are! Thanks!

....and for the record, my count is indeed zero. I just thought that maybe I had to get through some required due diligence period to get off the "Double Secret Probation" list or something.