How to keep snow looking powdery

AgentP

My tyranids are based in a rocky snow theme.  I've always made my snow by mixing snow flock with hobby glue and applying.  It tends to look really good for a month or two.  But I've found, however, that over time the snow looks less fluffy, and begins to look more like a spit bug threw up.  (Which I suppose is a tyranid theme all its own)  Anyone know a trick for keeping the snow fluffy looking?  

• Like 1

yes - I've been stuck on a snow theme for quite a long time… (hope to change that soon) … anyhow I do as westy states - put glue down (sometimes diluted slightly with water) first… then I put the snow mix in a shallow bowl and "dip" the figures base through the snow… tap off lightly and set aside to dry.  I only recently started using some different snow products… one is the GW stuff which I found to be kinda "bulky" or too big?… if you understand that description.  I also have tried the "army painter" brand which seemed to better to me. I also ordered the "ground glass" snow from CMON - but I have yet to try that.  

All the snow I use has tended to brush off over time - its been 5-6 years for some of it - it still looks ok to me - but if I were to put some of the figures into a display case long term - I would probably redo them.

In the past I used some stuff I got from CMON years ago… "tri-star" or something was the brand…. it is a very fine powder - awesome stuff… micro-beads of some kind.  But I am running out of it and can't seem to find it to buy anymore.  

Lastly - when doing "snow themed" I use powders - currently I use the make-up style from Tamiya… the powder gives a nice frosty look to the figures …near the snow areas (legs… etc).  I also use it on the wind blown edges as well to pull together the entire snow effect.

-d

Its all about a multi layering effect with snow. I am doing a  free workshop at Mythic Realm Games in Salmon Creek on the 3rd Saturday of every month if you wanna come and have a look. I have messed around with snow bases for years and finally found a method of layering the snow products to make them look pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

Its all about a multi layering effect with snow. I am doing a  free workshop at Mythic Realm Games in Salmon Creek on the 3rd Saturday of every month if you wanna come and have a look. I have messed around with snow bases for years and finally found a method of layering the snow products to make them look pretty awesome. 

Yeah, I wasn't entirely happy with the results I got from one go, but I was on a deadline, so I left them at that for the moment, but I've been thinking about ways to build up a couple of layers for a better effect.

• Like 2

Hello there,

My son puts his Space Wolves on snow bases.  We use white sand from Michaels, the sparkly kind.  It's like $ 3.00 for a huge bag.

Glue goes down on the base, dip the mini and it's so far been very durable, looks snowy AND has lil' icy nuggets in it, covers well and catches light in neat ways.

Stay safe,

don

I did an IG army in snow, and the best snow effect I found was to make a glue, paint, and baking soda mix and paste in on the bases, then dust it with more baking soda while it was still wet, and blow off the excess. The underlayer of the paste gives it body, and the dust layer makes it look powdery. Once thoroughly dry, a spray sealant will help keep it intact, but it will still be susceptible to wear. Looks great, though.

That is just what I do for my army.the extra baking soda keeps its powder look, and the seal keeps it there.

Water, white paint, white glue, baking soda. Power baking soda over the gloooooop and wait untill it is good and dry. Then seal well

For extra fun, get some gloss varnish, and hit the edges of the snow piles,like parts are melting.

From what I have read, it is the white glue that yellows, if you use PVA then in theory there is no problem. Snow seems a matter of taste more than anything. I liked the Secret Weapon tutorial because then have comparison photos. Personally I like the snow flock for model rail roads (shredded plastic) mixed with PVA glue and water effects to make a slushy putty.

I was thinking of doing a spring snow feel for my Orcs with just a patch left here and there. Now being from Michigan I will say that if you want realism snow isn't very fluffy after a couple of days. It hardens slightly and has more of a smooth shine effect and towards spring it is clumpy with bits of dirt and other bits showing on the top melted side. Not a clean look but more like the real thing.