Warhamster Meeting 11/18/14

Munkie

Soooo.... That was one hell of a week, huh?

A lot of opinions, a lot of noise, and an unacceptable amount of drama.

What is a Warhamster? I don't know exactly, but I know we didn't behave like them this week.

First of all, no, I'm not stepping down. However, we are going to be electing new leadership positions next month and I've already done 2 consecutive terms. You're going to have a new president soon, but I mean to right this ship before I go.

So we all agree that we need a meeting but what exactly do we want to discuss?

I've heard people calling for votes on what it means to be a Warhamster, discussing how we approach pickup games, opening the forum, restructuring Warhamster leadership, and more. Well okay, but we can't take care of all that in one meeting.

So we need to organize our thoughts. Jim will be posting something to give a little perspective on who we are, and what we've already decided on. If things need to be reevaluated, we can do that. But we are not living in the end times and if the meeting is just filled with more of the same that has been going around on the forum, we aren't going to get anywhere.

So feel free to post what topics you'd like to cover and we'll see what we're working with. But please, let's try to focus on specifics. Things that can be debated and voted on.

In the meantime, let's get back to basics. We're all here for one reason--we love gaming. Let's do our best to remember that this Tuesday and just get some games in. Our petty grievances will be forgotten and buried under an avalanche of dice. We play games to escape the drama of real life, so let's leave the drama at the door.

See you Tuesday.

• Like 3

Okay, so it seems like our meeting essentially is going to be focused on 2 things, one contingent on the other.

1) First an issue on membership.

a) are we trying to grow, maintain, or (gasp) shrink?

b) are we wanting to make membership a specific, attainable thing, or leaving it as "whoever shows up and considers themselves a Warhamster?"

c) if we are making membership a specific thing, how do you obtain it, how do you lose it, how do you regain it? What is the goal of membership? Do we collect dues, etc.?

d) are we opening the forum or leaving it as a request for entry?

2) Depending on what we decide for this first issue, we will then decide if the government should be restructured to serve that definition? Obviously the more formal we get, the more structure will be required.

Any points I'm missing?

If not, I'll see you all tomorrow to start this at 6 at Dark Tower.

• Like 2

Can't make 11/18 - I'm being silenced:

I received a PM from Jim Grahm informing me that, "several complaints from different people about the tone of your posts over the past week or two. You're coming across to others as unnecessarily (Ed. Sp?) rude, derisive, and counter-productive." I have been asked to surrender my first amendment rights in favor of the 'Ordo-Code'.

No problem! I've asked Jim to delete my account. I'm a firm constitutionalist, folks. None of hat I've said here has been any more inflammatory than some of the other rants I've sen but no matter.

One Question I'd ask Mr. Grahm publicly is this: Why threaten to ban me from Ordo for the same tone that you thanked me for using when you sent me a Private PM congratulating me on popping off on Kevin when you "couldn't" (presumably on behalf of working dads everywhere)/

Half the reason this club is falling apart is that its not sire if it's one of Jim's experiments or an actual separate entity. Personally I no longer care. Once you threaten to curb my words, I'm out. I  sincerely hope that I have not caused anyone here any problems and have truly not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. It's too bad we won't be gaming on Tuesday nights but I look forward to seeing you all on other days. Or, if, you're butt-hurt about it then, not. Either way I wish you all the best.

Take care, and for what it worth gentlemen, I'd fight for the club you want not the club you have.

So I received a PM from Jim Grahm informing me that, "several complaints from different people about the tone of your posts over the past week or two. You're coming across to others as unnecessarily (Ed. Sp?) rude, derisive, and counter-productive." I have been asked to surrender my first amendment rights in favor of the 'Ordo-Code'.

No problem! I've asked Jim to delete my account. I'm a firm constitutionalist, folks. None of hat I've said here has been any more inflammatory than some of the other rants I've sen but no matter.

One Question I'd ask Mr. Grahm publicly is this: Why threaten to ban me from Ordo for the same tone that you thanked me for using when you sent me a Private PM congratulating me on popping off on Kevin when you "couldn't" (presumably on behalf of working dads everywhere)/

Half the reason this club is falling apart is that its not sire if it's one of Jim's experiments or an actual separate entity. Personally I no longer care. Once you threaten to curb my words, I'm out. I  sincerely hope that I have not caused anyone here any problems and have truly not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. It's too bad we won't be gaming on Tuesday nights but I look forward to seeing you all on other days. Or, if, you're butt-hurt about it then, not. Either way I wish you all the best.

Take care, and for what it worth gentlemen, I'd fight for the club you want not the club you have.

Well there is some drama spam there. Good times.

Anyways I think the structure of and positions within the club should be discussed at this meeting. I think we should get this sorted out before elections. Do we want to maintain formal leadership or revert to our natural state of smelly nerds?

• Like 1

I valued and still do that he had the courage to state what he felt in a strong tone. I understand that if that is how he reacts to a reminder of the code and that certain people were uncomfortable with his words that the removal of him was necessary.

That said I also feel we should have had a group discussion before icing him out. I'm disappointed in the process that went down. I was not privy to it and will therefore not pass full judgement. I will not be interested in any leadership position going into 2015.

• Like 3

Thanks for doing this Kevin!

I'm going make a couple of posts to break out a couple of the issues, along with some rough straw polls so we know where we roughly stand. I know there are other issues that have come up, but government and membership are two that have stood out to me. I think it's best to separate the issues and tackle them one at a time.

I would like to see two things.

1. A formal Club Championship. Whether this is broken into individual games, ie a Warhammer 40k Club Championship, or run as a gauntlet of any/all games we take care of. 

2. This is pinned with the above, but I really feel we need an events coordinator. Someone who helps make sure we as a club run a few events here and there and coordinates with the store space about their events. This person would not necessarily be required to run the events, just make sure they happen. Ie if we decide on a club championship, makes sure it happens.

I was thinking about this last night, and had the following idea:

What if we drafted a schedule of meetings to plan/discuss - say once a season. At these meetings, we can talk about projects/events, and if we have one, we elect a person to run the club for that season. (I know some things take longer to plan, but I think the idea might work with some tweaks.) Basically, we'd be kind of like Romans - democratic but electing a dictator in times of emergency - emergency fun, that is!

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.