WHF Cheese Grater! Dice Age Games 1/31/2015

lustriangod2

One reason to be wary of running End Times magic: it slows the game down considerably, especially if there's a Loremaster of Hoeth or sig. spell Slann. In the few games I've seen / played, the magic phase can easily last half an hour, which makes it very hard to get the game finished in the allotted time.

I think it depends on the players.  i played End Times magic and it added maybe 20 minutes to the game.  If you can cast spells quickly and make your choices fast then you're good.  If someone is bringing 3+ lores to the table then that person had better know what their spells are.

I mean, I've played against people who take 5 minutes to think about which spell to cast when they only have 6 spells to chose from.

im just saying that RAW states that a wizard attempting to dispell rolls a d6 to see how many dice he can use... you can forgo your wizard level to not have to roll the d6 as an alternative option.  dwarfs dont have wizards(so no d6 roll), but their army inherently has a +2 to dispell.  so dwarfs have that lovely option of not having to roll the d6 and still have a +2... unless there's a faq i dont see how else it could be interpretted for dwarfs?

If you're talking about the Anvil discussion over on Bugman's, I agree wit the Salgar guy explaining why each anvil spell only works once. =P

That said, I'm happy for my dwarf opponent to have a magic phase if it gets rid of 200 points of war machines. =P

oh i agree with that interpretation.  im not fighting/pushing that.  its a stretch and a half.  and its more like 300 points :) im on the fence to bring the anvil or not.  this would be one of the few times i would ever consider bringing it... 

im just saying that RAW states that a wizard attempting to dispell rolls a d6 to see how many dice he can use... you can forgo your wizard level to not have to roll the d6 as an alternative option.  dwarfs dont have wizards(so no d6 roll), but their army inherently has a +2 to dispell.  so dwarfs have that lovely option of not having to roll the d6 and still have a +2... unless there's a faq i dont see how else it could be interpretted for dwarfs?

This is true, dwarves don't roll for how many dispel dice to use.  It's really not that big of an edge if your opponent still rolls a high casting vaule.  If you dump more dice into a few dispel's, then the rest will just start to wreck.  Also, if you toss lots of dice to stop a big spell....I'd be all for that because then I could go to town with tossing 2 dice at spamming the low value spells.

So, yes, it's a luxury for dwarves to ignore the rolling D6 for dispel dice; however, on the opposite side of the equation, it could assist your opponent.  Having a level 4 using End Times magic is pretty huge for the casting game.

This is true, dwarves don't roll for how many dispel dice to use.  It's really not that big of an edge if your opponent still rolls a high casting vaule.  If you dump more dice into a few dispel's, then the rest will just start to wreck.  Also, if you toss lots of dice to stop a big spell....I'd be all for that because then I could go to town with tossing 2 dice at spamming the low value spells.

So, yes, it's a luxury for dwarves to ignore the rolling D6 for dispel dice; however, on the opposite side of the equation, it could assist your opponent.  Having a level 4 using End Times magic is pretty huge for the casting game.

thing is you still roll for generating dice for spells.  thats the tricky part that takes off a bit of the edge to the 'umph' factor from the insane amount of dice.  there's a larger chance that you will fail to cast with end times magic just due to the probability you may be limited to a single die.  the trade off is obviously you should get off more spells.  but it will be very random and crazy.  im interested in how it will pan out.  whoever gets paired with me we can go grab a beer or something while waiting for other people to finish because games will be muuuch faster with my list/army :)

I was also making the spell spam for 10+ to cast based on the ability for my caster to toss 3 dice while getting the 4+D3 or 4+D3+1 when casting dark magic.  You witnessed what happens when rolling 3 dice and getting a +5 for dark magic spells was like last night.  It's a 1 in 6 chance to roll a 1, and again my statement was purely made with the caster I'm bringing to the event.  I've played the End Times magic rules a few times and the rolling for casting dice wasn't really that big of a deal because I wasn't focused on casting the big spells.  I just wanted to push out as many hexs and spirit leaches as possible.

With all of that being said, yes, there are many armies who don't have the luxury of using certain items or casters to use End Times like certain casters are able to.

So, what is you read on the attribute of High magic and the end times rules? The attribute says the the slann can change out a spell from the common lores once he has successfully casted the spell from High. So with the End Times saying that if you know one spell from any lore you know all of them. Does this give the slann the entire list?

Well, from what I can see on 3 different forums, it sounds like a big debate, but since the reading says that you can swap out a spell from a common lore and then we are playing the end times rules. Where you know one, and know all. We have come to the conclusion that this rule will stand as what we feel was intended to be. If you gain a single spell from that lore, no matter how you obtained it. You are gifted with the entire book of that lore.

Yes, but I don't get the important walk between world's spell which helps my monster last survive into combat. You see. I can swap out a spell, but I truly never lose that spell and only gain a new lore by swapping. I may not need the whole book. I may just be a lore dependent based on my enemy, but I feel I need high magic