Shield Your Baals!

WestRider

Or just vanguard vets in small units with a melta bomb on the sarge and a power axe.  Cheapish and dangerous to basically everything.  Then one unit of assault terms with the captain that comes stock with that warlord trait that gives a bonus to coming in from reserve.  

Now you can null deploy, bring in the ravens on turn 1 and then bring in the whole army turn 2 (the captain makes the roll a 2+ and then you get to reroll because of the detachment) and assault.  That's seriously potent.

• Like 1

0xRFadS.png

Ok, so he just duplicates the re-roll on reserves, but still, it works for the stormravens.  

Null deploy and then assault on turn 2 with 90% of your forces.  Dirty math says I could have:

Captain Karlean

5 Hammernators

8-9 units of 5-strong van vets with power axe/meltabomb

2 stormravens

2 10 strong tactical squads

Or just vanguard vets in small units with a melta bomb on the sarge and a power axe.  Cheapish and dangerous to basically everything.  Then one unit of assault terms with the captain that comes stock with that warlord trait that gives a bonus to coming in from reserve.  

Now you can null deploy, bring in the ravens on turn 1 and then bring in the whole army turn 2 (the captain makes the roll a 2+ and then you get to reroll because of the detachment) and assault.  That's seriously potent.

Doesn't work. Teleport homers require being on the table a turn prior. So even if they arrive turn 1 with the birds and the tactical marines, you can't benefit from the teleporter until turn 2.

Main issue I'm seeing is opening up the entire army to interceptor fire.

Main issue I'm seeing is opening up the entire army to interceptor fire.

Only army that can spam interceptor fire that much is Tau, and as long as SOMETHING survives, you should be beating them in combat on turn 2.  Even if they go all-in on interceptor, their best hope is killing the stormravens and that's about it.  And, of course, if you look at their list and see that they have that in spades, just deploy normally...  

Only army that can spam interceptor fire that much is Tau, and as long as SOMETHING survives, you should be beating them in combat on turn 2.  Even if they go all-in on interceptor, their best hope is killing the stormravens and that's about it.  And, of course, if you look at their list and see that they have that in spades, just deploy normally...  

Mostly true. Though if allowing full GW rules, I can spam multiple fortifications by having multiple CADs. This does mean that loads of interceptor weapons is possible with any army. Most events ban multiple fortification uses, despite BRB rules to the contrary.

That BA detachment is rilly rilly rilly dumb. The formations seem middling, but not awful- probably about the power level that formations "should" be at, as opposed to nonsense like the Lance or Firebase.

Including the psychic power and Maelstrom cards in the WD issue is actually fairly clever; good on GW for doing that.

@Fluger: They all have to have Jump Packs.

Why exactly is it dumb? It looks like a ton of fun to me. The detachment actually looks like it could do some damage.

Ok, but what are the odds of failing both?  

Seriously though, what are the odds?  I'm guessing somewhere on the order of very unlikely.

It's a cute idea, but it's basically the kind of thing that anyone could come up with in half a second of thought and there's not really any theme to it other than "a lot of units from the Elites slot I guess." The units aren't grouped together in any real thematic way and the detachment doesn't really do anything particularly special (the Descent of Angels bit is something that we had already had for two full editions, so it hardly counts as new and special.) It also isn't particularly flexible on a tactical or strategic level, so it doesn't really earn any points on the mechanical functionality front, either.

Basically, it comes off as very lazy game design. A lot of the other detachments aren't that impressive, either, but this one just being a thing where you essentially just have one slot repeated over and over and over and over again makes it feel even more boring.

And yeah, I don't think the odds are that low. They're not great, but that's sorta beside the point- what's a lot more problematic is that one half of your army could quite easily come in and get shot to pieces in short order, leaving you with little or no board position for turn 2. Feeding the enemy one chunk of your army at a time, bit by bit, may not be as bad as being tabled but it's just as sure a path to losing.

1 in 36

I'm not sure that's right though.  I'm making two rolls that pass on 3s, so if both fail there are only 4 outcomes that cause that (1,1; 1,2; 2,1; 2, 2) so the odds of failing it on a single roll is 4/36.  But then I get a re-roll and the same thing applies, so wouldn't it be 4/36*4/36?  

• Like 1