Shield Your Baals!

WestRider

The formation on the upcoming White Dwarf 

"Got the new WD today, there's a Flesh Tearers formation in it. I'd post pics, but mine is in german, so it'd be useless. 
It consists of 3 tactical squads, 1 assault squad, 1 vanguard squad and 1 furioso. 
The entire formation ignores disordered charges and are stubborn as long as the vanguard vets are alive. They allso all gain +1I on the charge." 

Source: 4chan /tg

• Like 1

Well, the non-DC version is "only" 130.  

Let me ask a question, with the stats you see, what point level would make sense to make him viable for use?  

Honestly? Not a lot. He just doesn't have anything going for him other than his statline- he has no real special abilities to speak of, no useful wargear apart from the one-shot melta, and nothing else unique about him at all. He is a pile of numbers, and not even an unusually good pile of numbers at that (he still eats it to the first failed Power Fist save, etc.) I would be really hard-pressed to pay more than 90pts for him, and even that is not an exciting price for what he brings.

Characters with no abilities and no gear just aren't good, is what it boils down to. Tycho has a handful of minor abilities, but none of them are stuff he shares with his squad at all, which doesn't do him any favors.

See that's exactly the problem with assault-based SCs.  You can't price this guy at like 50 pts, but even then is it worth taking him outside of style?  

Characters that make the rest of the army better are just always more valuable, and I don't know what the points would be like to balance out the two...

He's not even an assault character- he has no melee weapon. the fact that he has Hatred is basically a joke, because a Nob or Warboss will put him down like a chump pretty much every time.

Hate is conferred to the unit and it is true that those ork blobs present a challenge for SM assault units. He's also got a pretty reliable combi-melta. I agree, mostly worthless, but he's got a few nifty options should the right circumstances present.

Pax you should know better. You yourself field a chaplain with assault centurions. If you want cc support that chappy you enjoy is far more valuable than tycho.

Completely agree that a chappy is better. Character is mostly useless and I'm really not sure why he's present in the codex with a profile like that. Still, was trying to defend him by saying he was contextually worthwhile.

No it isn't. Zealot, the ability that Chaplains get, is conferred to the unit, and Preferred Enemy is conferred to the unit, but Hatred is not.

Serious? Well, was last edition. Fail there. Mostly worthless character.

Have the codex in my paws.

Still disappointing.

File Shared Scanned PDF with bookmarks or it didn't happen.   :wink:

The new bases are interesting, and I wonder if they are in part a way to help combat knock off models.  Now that they're doing "true scale" bases, maybe they'll do True Scale Marines.  Am I turning Blue yet?