ok - I think I am making this mistake again - fantasy battle...

OK - I have tried this 2 times before in my time playing war-games.  Warhammer Fantasy Battle.  I have had a skaven army over a decade ago... long time ago.  I have had a Vampire counts army... about 6-8 years ago.  I had purchased isle of blood (whenever that came out first) and started building a high elf army - and played that edition a couple times.  It always boils down to... not liking the way the game itself plays.  Mostly the (well you set up wrong...therefore you loose.

I have went and saw the last Hobit move this weekend... and well lots of fantasy battle imagery has seeped into my brain.  The last couple days in my spare time I have been wandering over the the GW site - looking at ... FANTASY BATTLE... I feel kinda cheap now.  But I am really liking the look of those wood elves... and I am fighting the urge to purchase some... someone help me with this madness.

1) is the game the same (you set up wrong... therefore I have smashed you in 2 turns...you loose...again) game?  what is different now?

2) woodelves look cool (always the first thing that draws me in)... are they any good?... forgiving somewhat? 

3) should I just wait 30 days for this fever to pass?

-d

Ive seen a couple new players start, one stuck with it and one didnt. The one that gave up couldnt stand how badly he got beat in his first few games. You have to find a reason to love it beyond the gratification of thinking your strategy was superior. Youre going to get beat a lot at first, theres too much to learn to be good for a while. Part of that means it will take a few games before deployment makes sense. The whole hobby is a commitment. But its really, really great and worth it.

2) woodelves are a good army with a limited amount of options in list design. Surprisingly hard to paint, I think.

3) no

Ohh I lose plenty - I've played 40k for over 20 years... But I've always felt that even after a horrible set up. I can still make a game of it most of the time. Yeah I still lose - probably more than average lol. But it's having a chance that's nice.

In the past with fantasy it's no lie like - yeah so you lose because you should never set up your army that way ... That basic fact of losing before a single die is tossed? That kills it for me every time...

I've had bad games in 40k. I've been tabled by mid game - lost just about every way possible. I've won just about everyway as well (not as much as losses lol). But I can't seem to think I have ever lost before dies are rolled lol. (Unless it's a total mismatch).

- d

Deployment is important, but an army like wood elves is fast enough to move into a better position if they need the advantage.  I haven't played a single game in 8th where I thought I lost because of deployment (unless I completely screwed myself!).

Wood elves are a great army, and can participate in every phase of the game.  They are very approachable, and have a low model count/starting cost compared to a lot of armies.

Give it 10, if you still feel the itch then start up an army.

I dunno, I think there are games of 40k where you are winning or losing before the armies are even put on the table!  

That said I'll agree, WFB has a steeper learning curve and is traditionally not as forgiving to new players or big mistakes.  

But it sounds like you have the same bug as I have always had: the imagery of WFB is just amazingly alluring!  Let go of the outcome and play for the imagination and for getting better and learning, and you'll have a great time!

• Like 1

just been reading the WE book...not bad at all. I think any of the elven armies right now are pretty good to go with. Lots of flavor and nice options. Just saw Hobbit today, and man, do I wish the WE stag looked like the one in the movie. That was sweet. Wish the dwarfs had access to pikes like the movie too. Or the ram cav! yeah...kind of hard not to want to play fantasy after that movie.

• Like 1

i feel you do need to get ahold of deployment first in the game to be successful, but once you do(after about 10 games) you wont make many deployment mistakes again.  knowing your opponents army and how to adjust to terrain just takes a bit.  but after you get over that hump you'll see success.  great thing about WHFB is it still has a lot of shananigans i feel, so sometimes you'll win or lose due too some luck.  you can be smashed to the point of thinking you stand no chance in one turn and then get a lucky charge off and boom you've turned around and win.  i like the fantasy of it as well because dwarfs have always been my favorite fantasy characters.  and people love elves, undead, lizards and daemons.  its a fun game! :)