Last Kit You Assembled

Figured we had all of these "last movie/book/song/yadda yadda yadda" threads, and then realized we didn't have one about model kits. So maybe some nice mod will sticky this.

First entry, 40K Tau Pathfinder box.

Price $35

Inside - a unit of 10 pathfiders, with all of the weapon options, plus three drones (all of the special ones).

Contents for $$ = 5/5 This is a great box. For the money, you get a complete squad, with every weapon option currently available to them, plus can make three drones of the non-standard gun drone type. Plus, if you have extra drone tops, you can make all of them.

Look of the models = 4/5 these guys are pretty good. No more than two of any leg set, and two sets are completely unique. Lots of bits to add too and some interesting extras to make your unit leaders stand out.

Ease of Assembly = 5/5 this is the first kit from GW where two gun arms go together and it fits perfectly! I was amazed. I have fought constantly with GW kits where the two arms need to line up. Normally there is one and only one placement that works. Well this kit had the gun placements much more flexible, and they still fit together. Why GW can't make more kits like this, I don't know...but it was a joy to assemble.

Overall = 5/5 This is one set every Tau player should have, if not multiples of. I have some broadsides and a riptide to assemble next, and I'm hoping that the Tau continue to impress.

• Like 2

SM Centurions. I feel like this kit is rather more complicated than it needed to be, given that a bunch of the detail is hidden once you put it all together. That said, once I got the hang of them, they really do go together very well.

The downside is that the poses are super-specific, so unless you're going to do some major conversion work, every set of three Centurions is going to look pretty much the same. There are also no poses where the Models look like they're actually firing their guns, which seems odd.

Magnetizing the weapons went fairly easily, but does require some care. Each weapon fits with a specific arm, in a specific way, so you've got to be careful about exactly where you put the magnets, but that hyper-specific fit also means that they stay in place really well, and can use smaller magnets than you might think.

Cash-wise, on the one hand, they're $26/Model, but on the other hand, those Models cost 60-90 Points each or so. That's not actually a bad Points per Dollar ratio as GW goes.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Nightmare whiskey golem

Instructions on line were 3/5, given they are online they could take the time to show which part of the sprue goes where. As legs and arms galore.

Model 5/5 one of their best fitted plastic kits. It goes together nicely once you know where which piece goes.

• Like 1

Wyrd Miniatures Hog Whisperer. The model like most of the Mk2 Malifaux stuff is absolutely gorgeous and the assembly was much easier than it was for other Mk2 models I've assembled. I love having fully posable kits a la GW-land, but Wyrd is definitely doing the "one dynamic pose" thing right with some very evocative models. Overall, I'd give it 5/5 for looks and train/5 for assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

FW XV88-2 Broadsides. This would be an amazing kit if it were plastic. Great detail, nice sculpts, great casts (something like 4 tiny bubbles total across 3 models), almost no flash except for the sprue points. The Heavy Rail Rifles were a bit bent, but nothing that a few minutes with a bowl of hot water couldn't sort out. Options for poseability, which is where the issues start to come in.

Both the legs and the arms/guns have quite a bit of freedom of movement, but actually getting them together involves fitting 5-7 bits of resin together simultaneously, some of which really don't hold in place at all until glued, and trying to get them right before the superglue sets. If I could use plastic cement, or something else that had a couple minutes of working time, it would be an awesome kit, but as it is, building them has been really frustrating.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Warlord Ruined Farmhouse - plastic kit with no assembly instructions, and generic pieces that you assemble however you want. That is the worst and best part of this kit. On the one hand, you can put together the pieces how you like...which lets you put two ruins of buildings..however, since the pieces are somewhat generic...and very roughly made...getting them to actually line up to be glued is a huge pain.

Thankfully the Loctite has really helped with this kit. Pinpoint placement of the glue and the fact that it is gummy really helps these uneven pieces fit together. Well together enough to be held into place. I'll probably go back with something else just to be sure about the bonds.

I have four of these kits, and have put two together so far. I'm hoping to do something cool with the last two..maybe join them together in some way... who knows...pics forthcoming.

• Like 1

OOP RT Space Marine Land Speeder. No instructions.

After much paint stripping, started assembling. Super confusing design. Unclear if I have all the parts. Near constant, "what the hell were they thinking?" moments...

Still, loving these old marines.

OOP RT Space Marine Land Speeder. No instructions.

After much paint stripping, started assembling. Super confusing design. Unclear if I have all the parts. Near constant, "what the hell were they thinking?" moments...

Still, loving these old marines.

You think that one was bad? Find yourself a nos 3rd edition land speeder. Plastic, but oh my!

Except for that horrible gap, I never found the 3rd Ed speeder to be that much trouble. The real problem with the metal ones comes after you get it built, when you try to play it without it doing cartwheels and breaking apart again.

Yeah, I've already had to put some putty in it, just to keep it together and to make the bits line up - was that or sawing and lots of pinning.

Except for that horrible gap, I never found the 3rd Ed speeder to be that much trouble. The real problem with the metal ones comes after you get it built, when you try to play it without it doing cartwheels and breaking apart again.

The GAP! Ugh.

And the metal ones just get pinned. Problem solved!

The real problem with the metal ones comes after you get it built, when you try to play it without it doing cartwheels and breaking apart again.

Started thinking about this bit more. Ever run a pin through the flying stem? I have now....Drilled from one end to the other and inserted a steel rod. Should hold pretty well even if the does fall or do cartwheels. I'll admit, it's kinda cool drilling through clear plastic.

• 2 months later...

Cult Mechanicus Kastelans. Amusingly, my opinion of the Models in this kit are pretty much opposite when looking at them as Kits and as finished Models.

The robots themselves are kind of boring as Models, but are a great kit. Really easy to make all the options swappable (don't even need magnets, just cut down the rim on the wrists, and the different hand options pressure fit. The carapace weapons pressure fit, too), and if you cut away the pegs that are there to line the various bits of the legs up, you could re-pose them pretty much however you want. They also did a pretty good job laying out the sprue points, a bunch of them don't even need cleanup because they end up somewhere inside that they're neither visible nor blocking a join. The only real issue I found was getting the heads on. Theoretically, they can be put on so they rotate, but I couldn't get them to line up with the grooves in the neck unless I glued them to one half first.

The Tech Priest who goes with them is the opposite. Great Model when just taken on its own, but no options except for two possible heads, and some slight choice of angling on the pistol arm and the "hand" of the servo-arm. Also lots of little fiddly joins that don't all line up as well as they should. If you're just getting one set, he's awesome, but if you're getting a bunch, these guys are going to start looking really repetitive, really fast.

EDIT: Comparing the finished Models to the box, I either misread something, or they misprinted the instructions, and I got two of the legs mixed up. Regardless of whether it was my mistake or theirs in assembly, I did each one entirely from one Sprue, and it was definitely laid out wrong there. Take the right leg from one Sprue and the left from the other Sprue for each Robot. Otherwise, you end up with one leaning awkwardly, and the other sprinting forward, and neither really attaching to the base that well.

FW Thanatar....

Hips narrower than a catwalk supermodel, and probably just as flimsy!

Needs pinning all over the place, some parts just want to fall off...

Trying to align two legs, two feet, two hip joints and one groin plate simultaneously.... Well... Language!!!!

And it's not even for me.

FW Thanatar....

Hips narrower than a catwalk supermodel, and probably just as flimsy!

Needs pinning all over the place, some parts just want to fall off...

Trying to align two legs, two feet, two hip joints and one groin plate simultaneously.... Well... Language!!!!

And it's not even for me.

Sounds much like my experience with the FW Broadsides :P