Apoc Game? May 15, 16, 17?

dalmer

I'm not coming empty handed...I'll bring chips or some dessert! I too approve of this eating all day thing! We will have official breaks tho as they are important to the apoc thing... Details will be revealed Friday.

make him bring brownies, this is NOT a drug reference, the Wilkee brownies are AMAZING

• Like 1

Deployment completed, indeed.  The board very much resembles what our little narrative has been...

The Tau barely had time to evacuate, the Archangels barely had time to dig in their armor to assist.  The forces of Chaos loom on the horizon and their guns are being brought to bear...

With enemy drop pods slamming down around them, the Tau are hoping to survive the initial onslaught as their rapid response forces vector in to assist.  Meanwhile, Archangels strategic command has verified a singular presence on the battlefield... a singular presence that must be dealt with swiftly. 

"The One Hope for the Doomed is Not to Hope for Safety..."

... Apoc rules, page 62

When deploying a Battle Formation, nominate a point on the table.  All units in the formation must be deployed within 36" of this point.

So your Battle Company needs to cluster somewhere, sadly.

Dunno if that means the same for Eli's tanks.

We'll have to re-deploy, as I bet this changes your strategy a bit...???

Totally missed that! So glad you caught that... The rules of the battle company totally aren't worth that but it was the way I organized them. I'd pick the banner the far flank with all the Marines is wrong and I'll fix that... The dreads still might be okay the others of mine are good.

Thanks for bringing that up. See you are totally getting this, glad to have another detail rules oriented guy playing.

Is it any where on the table? Cuz I might only need a little wiggle... Most of my stuff is central...

Also knowing this by the rules all of my Marines have to go into reserve...

Any illegally placed models go into reserves. Pairing this with the all together thing really messes with that... The point is also where my pods have to aim but not where they stop... We can discuss quickly and do some measuring then I'm at your mercy for how you want to handle it.

Edited by VonVilkee

Options as I see them.

Leave deployment as is, I lose all benefit of the battle company and possibly the dread conclave. Assume my pods hit first turn and move forward. The rhino/razor back formations are good as they a single unit.

Allow for slight redeployment of my battle company to abide by the 36" thing.

Follow rules as printed and force my illegally deployed models into reserves.

Had an absolute blast, totally made a Tactical miscalculation and proceeded to grind out 4 turns plus a little. Almost turned it around but ultimately the dice didn't Co operate and we gave up turn five.

Brads Tactical acumen was spot on and Don follows directions well :P. Well played gents, a well deserved victory.

Hello there,

I'll write up a more-detailed summary tomorrow, but here's at least my personal perspective (so please don't read it as anything other than my ponderings):

1.  Going into the game, I gave Brad choices of what Dark Angels successor stuff I could bring:  lots of models; few models but very tough; a mixture.  Brad suggested my Deathwing option, as Eli had a ridiculously large amount of AP3 stuff.

2.  I ended up only fielding 60 models... (50) Deathwing, (1) Deathwing Chapter Master, (4) Land Raiders, (3) Predators, (1) Storm Eagle and (1) Stormsword because Eli suggested bringing it to have fun with.  I was a little worried with regards to the layout because all my termies would have to foot slog it (no transports allowed) and I was concerned that after the deep strike everything would just drive away from them and they'd be just absolutely blown to bits by ranged fire as they trudged to try and catch stuff to assault it.

3.  Set-up occurred.  Brad and I decided to "bait" the left flank by tossing out basically all my armor there, thinking it would be a shot magnet.  Brad said we would just need to make it through the first round of shooting by the enemy and our counter-attack would be pretty solid in its own right.

4.  Like almost all my armor was vaped the first turn, very frustrating not being able to shoot 3 Land Raiders and 3 Predators basically the whole game... but oh well, technically they did their job but they could've done their job for a couple turns.  To put it in perspective, I didn't even move my land raiders before 3 were done with.  Just sucked.

5.  My job was to assault, so I did.  Worked pretty well and surprisingly the enemy charged me, so I was happy with that.  I knew my role the entire battle and didn't try and play otherwise... Brad just told me from our first emails to send my guys in to soak up firepower, hopefully survive and just wreck face in assault. 

6.  Brad's job was to shoot and he did, so I did my best to keep stuff from harassing Brad.  So again, just tried to play my role in the strategy.

7.  The first turn we had a ton of the objectives so were up 12-0 at the first break.  Brad bought an orbital strike (it sucks, don't buy it) so after the first break 11-0.  Brad told me right then and there that the game was effectively over from his point of view because the way the objectives and the enemy were spread out... he just didn't think they could get to enough of the objectives to really impact us in future turns.

8.  At the end of the second break, we had jumped to a 26 to 6 lead.  Folks bought some stuff and it went to 23 to 5.  Brad told me that based on his quick calculations, it would be very hard for the Chaos guys to come back and win... they'd have to have almost all the objectives at that point, and were very, very far away from two of them.

9.  Played two more turns and the Chaos guys wanted to start turn 5 to try and get back into it, but a certain Rhino got immobilized so they called it.  They figured that was their chance.  Scored ended 42 to 13, with us holding 3 objectives, them holding 2 and 1 being contested/no call.  So I guess if they got the 2 objectives that were somewhat mid-board, final score could've been 36 to 25 but I don't know if the center one would've gone easily... some termies still around it.  But that's why folks roll the dice, ya never know!

Hopefully everyone had fun, I did... but felt bad because I've still got a pretty steep learning curve.  Getting better, though because I remember most of the basic stuff... and I got a lot of exposure to some weird stuff like multi-assaults, base size and movement, tank shock, etc. that I haven't seen in my previous 5 games.  So I appreciated everyone's patience.

And hey, at least folks got fed and got to stand on cushioned flooring instead of concrete. 

• Like 1

oh and in the future I'd do a CAD and not the Apoc formations.  Having stuff bunched up like that, or conversely Corey having to field his entire battle company within 36 inches, really doesn't do it for me.

More tactical flexibility in being able to have stuff spread out.  Just my $ 0.02.

• Like 2

Brad was right, as soon as you guys hit the table with everything perfectly deep striking I realized my mistake of not declaring an all out 36" move and then flat outing... If the surrounded rhinos were at the door of that deep middle objective instead of just bearly to the Centre one I think the back and forth of the game would have been much closer.

Totally right on the not being able to spread out just destroying my usual flexibility... It was a hard lesson but I feel the grind was great we were definitely behind the whole game but if the dice would have been kinder it totally could of worked... It just didn't.

Next time we play no extra points for super heavies unless they have more than 8 hull points :)

Great learning game tons of fun with epic moments of survival and good lessons learned.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.