KoW game night  

10 members have voted

1. 1. what days work for you(~5-6pm)?

• monday
    • wednesday
    • thursday
    • friday
    • saturday
    • tuesdays(at wow if they have room for us!)
  2. 2. game store preference(sorry pdx only!)

• Guardian Games
    • Red Castle(there's some unfortunate rumors of closure though...)
    • Portland Game Store
    • Western Oregon Wargamers(would need senator permission obviously)
    • time is more important than location for me!

so im tired of not seeing hordes of fantasy critters marching across tables(no sigmarines do not count!).  lets embrace some change and try out Mantic's spin on GWs failure!  I'm getting the rulebook today and really want to get a group of guys together to learn this game and have what we use to have on sundays at WOW.  so I'm going to reach out to a few stores in the area after i get some ideas on this topic!  i left out sundays because i will be playing infinity that day at WOW and am not going to rain on raindog's parade.  Tuesdays is 40k/whatnot and i don't want to have conflict of interests if i can help it.  so hopefully i got these polls right.... although i seem to suck at figuring formats on here for some reason lol.   let me know if you guys know specific nights that i should avoid as well! if we have less than 10 guys interest i think portland game store might be the way to go that way the couv guys can hop on down if they can.  plus they generally have the most openings for game nights it seems and of course beer which is my main concern  :biggrin: .  please vote only if you are seriously interested in getting together for this!  i think the first night we will have demo-ing and just trying to learn the game structure.  after that i plan on trying to put together an escalation type league.  i have plenty of free time right now so why not  :wink:.  oh and WOW is really only an option if we get a senator on board......

cheers guys and lets get dem square bases back out!

DP

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

For the time we have had plenty of room on Tuesday at wow. Would love to see a few new folks in until next league/event.

I'm interested but not sure when. My commitment would likely be every other Friday. Gg has aos and malifaux likely no room for another wargame.

• Like 1

For the time we have had plenty of room on Tuesday at wow. Would love to see a few new folks in until next league/event.

I'm interested but not sure when. My commitment would likely be every other Friday. Gg has aos and malifaux likely no room for another wargame.

alright then i added tuesdays at wow as a possibility!  

FYI PGS has Xwing on Wednesdays. We were able to get a table but it was pretty busy.

-T

thanks T, yea i know of xwing night on wednesdays for pdx gamestore.  hopefully can get an idea of people's availability this week and then work on the gamestore/club options. 

Have not played, but looking forward to trying it.

MY THU and FRI eve's are booked.

What works for me:

TUE 6-10 @ GG or WoW

WED 6-10 @ GG or WoW

SAT 10-4 - any venue in PDX metro or Vancouver

SUN 11-4 - any venue in PDX metro or Vancouver

Just got the new rules.

Figs still on the way.

Want to put painted minis on table.

Prob start playing in December.

I had always written off the KoW models as sub par, mostly after looking at the elf models. Theyre pretty bad. But yesterday I looked at the other armies. The ogres are amazing, as are the dwarves and abyssal dwarves. Basilleans are ok not great, but mantic can make some really good models. And at the prices theyre offering I could end up with a full kow army (like 200 models) in one click. Dangerous stuff.

• Like 1

I had always written off the KoW models as sub par, mostly after looking at the elf models. Theyre pretty bad. But yesterday I looked at the other armies. The ogres are amazing, as are the dwarves and abyssal dwarves. Basilleans are ok not great, but mantic can make some really good models. And at the prices theyre offering I could end up with a full kow army (like 200 models) in one click. Dangerous stuff.

Yup,I picked up a 1500 point Basilean army during the kickstarter and for the most part the models aren't bad.Actually only the rank and file troops seem to be of what I would consider marginal quality,the larger cavalry size stuff is pretty good,,just a bit below GW but the price is certainly right:)

Another thing im really groovin on is the diorama style of building the units...for instance theres really no need to build models specifically to rank up on a movement tray as there doesn't need to be the "full" amount of models on the tray.For my Men at arms I ended up with 45 total I think,,I plan to make 3 regiments out of that using 15 per tray leaving a bit of space in between models,then filling that in with stumps and scrub:).

Sure its pretty much an army of movement trays fighting each other but they can still be some sick looking trays of troops!

• Like 1

The new ogre models look really good imo. The dwarfs have always been some pretty decent alt things for 8th. I'll let this go til next weekend and then make a decision!

Cool! Ben and I are getting a test game tomorrow night. This will be my second game.

What I like about Kings of War is this: It is as if you take the scope of warhammer and you draw back one step. It's now less about individual units and more about the army as a whole, which in general is larger. This is a game of units, not heros or monsters (though they are in there). That's kind of why I got in to warhammer in the first place, I wanted to see armies battling, not one unit with a couple monsters on the flanks and a blender lord up front. Warhammer is rad and has lots of flavor, but Kings of War feels much more tactical and even historic. I like that!

Did my first test game this last weekend with my Son helping me out,we did Gobbos vs Undead 1000 points.Ended up a somewhat close game with the Gobbos pulling off the win.

Really like the clean rule system and the game captures most all of the movement finesse of WHFB.We played with 2 regiments of shooting units per army along with each side having a warmachine..the machines are a bit unpredictable but wow,the shooting blocks messed stuff up!.

I will probably use my OnGs for now until I get the Basileans all built up.

Looking forward to a game date and location:)

• Like 1

So best gamenights do look like Wednesday or Tuesday from poll. As for place they look quite spread out lol. Since there's room on Tuesday at wow I think we will start off there until they kick us out. I'm thinking we can start out with smaller games at 1000 points and get the feel of it. Now 1000 points is not like a 1000 points in whfb. It will seem quite bigger I think. I got permission from the wife so I can meet up Tuesday's now hehe. So let me know who can make it next Tuesday the 27th for a head count. I'll try and get there whenever a senator is there and set up terrain.

• Like 1

So best gamenights do look like Wednesday or Tuesday from poll. As for place they look quite spread out lol. Since there's room on Tuesday at wow I think we will start off there until they kick us out. I'm thinking we can start out with smaller games at 1000 points and get the feel of it. Now 1000 points is not like a 1000 points in whfb. It will seem quite bigger I think. I got permission from the wife so I can meet up Tuesday's now hehe. So let me know who can make it next Tuesday the 27th for a head count. I'll try and get there whenever a senator is there and set up terrain.

I would love to watch a game tomorrow and see if it will fill my much needed Fantasy fix. I will be opening the club house at around 3pm.