Slayers!

andozane

I don't think they are considered part of any of the Grand Alliances. That way they can be proper mercs and not have to worry where their loyalties lie because it's always with the gold!

The Ogre Kingdoms are, or at least were, a merc force. Since Destruction's seems light on members anyway...

Plus, savage orcs and slayers?

Part of the Ogre race are mercenaries that being the Man Eaters. They even had a Regiment of Reknown in Golgfags Ogres but the race as a whole were not mercs. The race could be thought of more as nomadic tribes moving around the lands but that is from the world that was. People seem to forget that the Orruks or the Duardin or the Ogors are not the same as they once were. So there is no reason why merc Duardin would not work for green skin savage Orruks. I personally hope that they introduce the Dogs of War to AOS. Would add lots of character to the games.

• Like 1

If they aren't slayers, then what possible reason would they run around practically naked? Oh, and the fact that they have "slayer" in their freaking name?

You are surprisingly passionate about these little plastic naked dwarf figures.

I think they look pretty cool. I'm not gonna buy any, but they look pretty nice to me. Good sculpts, like most of the stuff GW has released for AOS. That is subjective of course.

• Like 2

Yes AoS needs a mercenary faction!

Totally pointless given that GW has no rules that restrict armies by faction. If you want a merc army, just make one. No GW reason you can't.

If the players are creating comp systems that restrict armies by faction (which they often are), then the need for a "merc faction" needs to be addressed by those comp systems.

That said, I've been considering Destruction to be the merc faction. Of all the factions, they seem like the one that would go to war just to feed their bellies, or for coin. Despite the name, destruction, they don't strike me as overly bent on destroying the world, or anything else. They like fighting and eating.

Totally pointless given that GW has no rules that restrict armies by faction. If you want a merc army, just make one. No GW reason you can't.

If the players are creating comp systems that restrict armies by faction (which they often are), then the need for a "merc faction" needs to be addressed by those comp systems.

That said, I've been considering Destruction to be the merc faction. Of all the factions, they seem like the one that would go to war just to feed their bellies, or for coin. Despite the name, destruction, they don't strike me as overly bent on destroying the world, or anything else. They like fighting and eating.

I was thinking more in terms of them releasing a Battletomb for an AoS version of Dogs of war or something along those lines.

I was thinking more in terms of them releasing a Battletomb for an AoS version of Dogs of war or something along those lines.

I got that. Just seems rather pointless if their aren't faction requirements. A regiments of renown battletome, might come out, though.

Though as presedence, have you seen that "Everchosen" book? Those "Varenguard" can be assigned a chaos god of worship each turn, rather than being fixed as one. Having a "merc" unit which could change faction keywords during the game seems like something that might come out.

Mind you, such a thing would be a disaster for the current comp systems...

Actually Dogs of War is my favorite army from fantasy. Basically the army is ranked as neutral. In the rules, there were three nuetral factions that being Tomb Kings, Ogre Kingdoms, and Dogs of War.

Just because you can have whatever you want does not mean that a mercenary faction is not a thmatically interesting choice. Also some synergies and bonuses for having faction based units are a thing so throwing some models into a force is not always a good idea.

Now these dwarf units on the hand are a giant waste of potential. When I look at how much time was spent on them I can tell the sculptor really tried to make them stand out and did a great job of doing so. The problem is this style of model screams Cathay immediately and was wasted on greasey nakid little stunties. Look at that style and tell me they couldn't have just made them human instead. Now I realize this will never happen but they could have at least tried to do it right. I'm also annoyed they believe these units to look like mercenaries. I'm sorry but the fail button was hit on that idea. Nothing I mean absolutely nothing about them says mercenary.

I'm disappointed that this was an AoS release when this could have been done years ago as a true fantasy army minus the dwarf concept. Now don't get me wrong I love dwarf armies but this is sad.

• Like 1

Actually Dogs of War is my favorite army from fantasy. Basically the army is ranked as neutral. In the rules, there were three nuetral factions that being Tomb Kings, Ogre Kingdoms, and Dogs of War.

Just because you can have whatever you want does not mean that a mercenary faction is not a thmatically interesting choice. Also some synergies and bonuses for having faction based units are a thing so throwing some models into a force is not always a good idea.

Now these dwarf units on the hand are a giant waste of potential. When I look at how much time was spent on them I can tell the sculptor really tried to make them stand out and did a great job of doing so. The problem is this style of model screams Cathay immediately and was wasted on greasey nakid little stunties. Look at that style and tell me they couldn't have just made them human instead. Now I realize this will never happen but they could have at least tried to do it right. I'm also annoyed they believe these units to look like mercenaries. I'm sorry but the fail button was hit on that idea. Nothing I mean absolutely nothing about them says mercenary.

I'm disappointed that this was an AoS release when this could have been done years ago as a true fantasy army minus the dwarf concept. Now don't get me wrong I love dwarf armies but this is sad.

excitedapplauseminionsdespicable-me.gif

Is there a list of other release later in the year? Curious if they are redoing some of the older armies soon

GW used to do this. Then groups like "Chapterhouse" starter producing kits for unreleased models. A lawsuit or two later, GW no longer gives any warning with releases.