Anyone Playing?

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to get people to play ninth age since I moved out here and have only gotten 2 opponents. they both had lizard man armies... I post up looking for games and no one responds. Seems like all of you like fantasy so lets get some games in! If we play it, people will be interested.

for the record, I wouldn't play AoS even if you paid me to, it's awful. just play ninth age or the older editions if you don't care about the meta (I don't)

Is anyone in Portland still interested in playing 9th age. I haven't tried it out but have been getting interested after reading up on the rules and watching battle reps.

I have been trying to get people to play T9A since january! I will totally throw some dice if you're interested. I'm free today and most nights

I miss you guys dearly.... 

I havent thrown dice in an age. I am a fan of dead games.

8th edition Fantasy was awesome despite all the BS.... I know how to play it. I can play a game in 2-3 hours without having to thumb through rules and figure it all out again. The problem with 9th edition is that I have to re-learn the entire game. At least when GW did the updates, certain aspects of the game changed, but for the most part we knew what we were doing. 9th age has TOO many changes to the core of the game. Not a fan.

AOS is boring. Ive played it many times and I'd play it again but its Boring and doesnt provide the strategic planning spark 8th did when I left the game store after a game or two, Simple as that. 

Confrontation 3.5 (the best miniature game ever created) to Confrontation 4 with all the pre painted plastics did exactly what AOS did to 8th.... Killed it for me and most. 

SO if anyone wants to play dead games, 8th ed or Confrontation 3.5. Im down. Other than that, my dice and toys are put away. 

• Like 2

I miss you guys dearly.... 

I havent thrown dice in an age. I am a fan of dead games.

8th edition Fantasy was awesome despite all the BS.... I know how to play it. I can play a game in 2-3 hours without having to thumb through rules and figure it all out again. The problem with 9th edition is that I have to re-learn the entire game. At least when GW did the updates, certain aspects of the game changed, but for the most part we knew what we were doing. 9th age has TOO many changes to the core of the game. Not a fan.

AOS is boring. Ive played it many times and I'd play it again but its Boring and doesnt provide the strategic planning spark 8th did when I left the game store after a game or two, Simple as that. 

Confrontation 3.5 (the best miniature game ever created) to Confrontation 4 with all the pre painted plastics did exactly what AOS did to 8th.... Killed it for me and most. 

SO if anyone wants to play dead games, 8th ed or Confrontation 3.5. Im down. Other than that, my dice and toys are put away. 

miss you too bro... sometime when i actually have a life ill hit you up for that

FYI, 1.0 was officially released. So the rules aren't changing until September at the earliest. Never a better time to learn the rules ;)

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page

Having lived through one real edition change, I'd say no more rules changed than normal. At least for the core rules. Since all the armybooks changed too... There's a bit more to learn. But I feel like most people don't read to learn what every army does before playing. They prefer to learn on the battlefield. In that case, it's only a teensy bit more than a normal edition change.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to giving the new 9th Age rules a try. I liked Kings of War tons, but it lacked that WHFB flavor that makes Fantasy so fun. The few games of the earlier iterations of 9th Age nailed it, while correcting a lot of the power creep that 8th had created. I'm guessing that carried over into version 1.0.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Damn you Jim for having an informed opinion... forums are for *speculation*, soapboxing, and venting, don't you know that?!?

When my bros and I cool off a little on our MF frenzy (read: when we have finished buying and playing all the factions, which were are closing in on) I know I for one will definitely be interested in breaking out my Bretonnians and Dark Elves and having a grand old time learning 9th, which seems like as good an attempt at revising 8th as any, and far better than most!  Thanks to the ETC and other Super WFB Nerds for putting in the discussion, time, and effort to save the whales (that's me).

I'm only going to be at the OFCC for Friday this year (traveling Sat morning) but I hope you and some of the other long-time WFB guys can find time to run some 9th Age games and stoke the fires!  

I'm really looking forward to giving the new 9th Age rules a try. I liked Kings of War tons, but it lacked that WHFB flavor that makes Fantasy so fun. The few games of the earlier iterations of 9th Age nailed it, while correcting a lot of the power creep that 8th had created. I'm guessing that carried over into version 1.0.

My first game of the final version of Ninth Age was a blast. If you liked 8th edition, but thought some things (elves, uber-magic, unbeatable hordes) were a bit much, you'll love Ninth. If you missed the tactical advantages you got by hitting a unit in the flanks or rear from 6th and 7th, you'll love Ninth. If you lamented the fact that there were a few units in each book that were too good not to take, and wished there were more viable units, you'll love Ninth. It's amazing what happens to a game when units are costed appropriately.

The lack of premeasuring, fixed-distance charges, and skirmisher redirecting shenanigans are all things I miss from 7th, but I honestly think the game is better off without them.

Nathan, I'm not 100% on my travel plans yet, but if I'm down early enough on Friday, I could be persuaded to bring along a Fantasy army!

• Like 1