6th Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournament

Lord Hanaur

Just cheaking.. Secound day starts around noon for the last two games?

No. We would start at 10 most likely to make certain people have time to get home.  

In other news:  We have made strides as of today in updating the website.  It isn't complete, but a lot of questions may now be answered by going there.  Again we will be announcing when it is fully updated and ready for the next event.

• Like 1

No. We would start at 10 most likely to make certain people have time to get home.

In other news: We have made strides as of today in updating the website. It isn't complete, but a lot of questions may now be answered by going there. Again we will be announcing when it is fully updated and ready for the next event.

If you start a 12non on Sunday we are done by 6pm 7 at the latest version. Seams quite early. The normal tournament went tell 8-9ish when it was one day. How come people can't get home on Sunday?

I was looking through the Army Construction Rules, and noticed that the "Trap Doors" upgrade is prohibited. Might want to list it as the "Escape Hatch" upgrade instead, since that's the actual name for it in SA.

Also, re:

Conjured units are considered to be under your control, but not part of any Detachment. As a result, benefits from your Warlord such as Conqueror of Cities and benefits granted by being a part of a given detachment do not apply to conjured units."

Not being part of a Detachment wouldn't necessarily prevent Summoned Units that are Bros from benefiting from a Warlord Trait. Many of the Traits simply work on Friendly Models and/or Units within a certain distance, regardless of Detachment. You should alter that text to either make it clear that you're making a Rules Change, or remove the portion about Warlord Traits, since those aren't actually the 40K Rules.

Ill look at the Warlord thing.  

The construction rules will have some more clarification but I wanted to get things up and started so people would have the important things and some previous verbiage is probably still there.  I have to consider the Fortifications specifically.  There are some that won't be allowed, as before, so that will get updated as well.  

But do feel free to read through it and let me know if you see anything else.  Better to catch it all now than later.

Some of us have a fairly long drive to get up to Seattle.

Are you driving home for both days?

I have seen you go to Spokane for a two day event. Most events start at 11am on the second day as it is a Sunday. When the store will open that day will factor in as well. They have to pay for someone to open early may change start times at lest.

What are the food option you are looking at this time? Are you doing it for both days? or just the first?

I dont know where that is.

Corvallis is halfway down Oregon, maybe 3 hours North of me.  One of the things in my consideration of going or not is sleeping, and how long I won't be sleeping in my own bed.  And two hour difference in start time can make the difference between Corvallis, Eugene, Bend, or further south being able to drive home or not that night.  

I already know I won't be able to attend this year, so I'm not fretting it right now, but it is a concern I understand.

In consideration for some of our diabetic attendees we will take a lunch break on day two assuming it is a two day event, and will likely have some snacks for people to eat the second day to answer your question.

The venue has always been cooperative with me and they will this time as well.  So those who are travelling, and there are a fair number who will if previous attendance is any indicator (we've had people from as far off as Califnornia attend), we should be able to start at 10 on Sunday, even though the store IS normally open at 11.  I'm on top of it.

As has been said, we want to give people as much time as we are able to get home.

As for driving, a weekend of gaming with friends isn't the worst mini-vacation I ever heard of.  This one, in my entirely bias'd opinion, is worth the trip.  I leave that to your discretion of course.  The show will go on either way, but I hope you can all make it.

• Like 1

Corvallis is halfway down Oregon, maybe 3 hours North of me.  One of the things in my consideration of going or not is sleeping, and how long I won't be sleeping in my own bed.  And two hour difference in start time can make the difference between Corvallis, Eugene, Bend, or further south being able to drive home or not that night.  

I already know I won't be able to attend this year, so I'm not fretting it right now, but it is a concern I understand.

I understand the need to drive home. For sure. I drove to Storm of Silence in Spokane this year. Which is over a 5 hour drive to my home. I knew the tournament was going to end around 5 or 6 that night. I stayed the night and drove back in the morning. It was safer to do that and made for a relaxing day instead of rushing to get home at night.

The Game Matrix doesn't open Sunday entail 11:00. Starting the second day at 11AM to 11:30AM would make sure everyone gets their in time. Also it makes things easier for the store as they don't have to pick someone to come in early to open the store that day.

I can see getting the tournament to end for people can get home sooner.

Maybe having a shorter lunch the second day.

Or playing 4 games Saturday like the old days and the one game on the second for the final rounds? This could free up time for people with long drives.

Having the tournament go 3 and 2 s the best though.

I am kinda worrying and fretting as it's 11 October, and we still have no idea when this is going to be, how many points, rules, etc. etc. Please don't drop the website on us a week before the tournament! Some of us have to make arrangements for work, get a hotel or place to stay, etc. etc.

Can you at least confirm it's Oct 29th-30th? Can you at least tell us how many points (1850)? Anything on Detachments and Allies? Scenarios? I'm just thinking I'd like to get a couple practice games in, and not knowing anything at all about how to write my army is a bit frustrating.

We also only have 18 days until Oct 29-30th. Dropping a big name tournament packet like this only two weeks out will hurt attendance.

• Like 1

I am kinda worrying and fretting as it's 11 October, and we still have no idea when this is going to be, how many points, rules, etc. etc. Please don't drop the website on us a week before the tournament! Some of us have to make arrangements for work, get a hotel or place to stay, etc. etc.

Can you at least confirm it's Oct 29th-30th? Can you at least tell us how many points (1850)? Anything on Detachments and Allies? Scenarios? I'm just thinking I'd like to get a couple practice games in, and not knowing anything at all about how to write my army is a bit frustrating.

We also only have 18 days until Oct 29-30th. Dropping a big name tournament packet like this only two weeks out will hurt attendance.

The Ambassadors zeal is most gratifying.

I mentioned that this will not happen in October.  You will have plenty of time.  Sponsors were slow to respond this year, so we had to hold out and wait on them (which is no problem, and we obviously appreciate the enormous support we are able to provide).  We have some gifts for the Ambassador as well that must be ordered.

I am close to announcing a date.  It may even be a couple months.  It isn't the way I would have preferred, but the show will go on and it's that much more time for people to prepare.

I have updated the website quite a bit however, so that people can start to kind of poke around and learn about it.  So please do take a look around.  It is subject to change at this point until we formally announce.

Added bonus is, you can start practicing the missions immediately.

http://40kambassadors.com/index.php

• Like 1

The Tournament had typically been scheduled for the end of October.  We won't be able to make that deadline, so have your ears to the ground and we will let you know sooner than later.  Formally we don't anticipate that news will be coming until sometime after October 8th while we work on technical issues.

Play with pride.  Good luck Ambassadors.

He is on schedule with his announcement ;)

Thanks for the prompt reply! I just want to get my army all shiney and chrome so I don't look like some kind of Grot with a paintbrush! Getting some game time in with the scenarios will be awesome! When we roll up to a table and my opponent says "Ah! Blood and Sand scenario!" and I'll be taking off my clothes and putting on my sandals and unsheathing my Gladius shouting "Those Who Are About To Die, Salute You!"- well, that would be embarrassing and I'd rather be like "Oh! That's an euphemism for Purge the Alien!" 

Thanks for the prompt reply! I just want to get my army all shiney and chrome so I don't look like some kind of Grot with a paintbrush! Getting some game time in with the scenarios will be awesome! When we roll up to a table and my opponent says "Ah! Blood and Sand scenario!" and I'll be taking off my clothes and putting on my sandals and unsheathing my Gladius shouting "Those Who Are About To Die, Salute You!"- well, that would be embarrassing and I'd rather be like "Oh! That's an euphemism for Purge the Alien!" 

Lol.  Well that was visual.  

So go to the link and play the scenarios next time you get a game in with someone.  I STRONGLY recommend this, now that we have time, Ambassador.  Your forces will appreciate the time to adjust to the task ahead.  

Four of the missions are essentially unchanged (minor tweaks for 7E issues, but otherwise the same).  One mission is new and all Ambassadors will want to practice it so they can alter their armies accordingly if they feel that's even necessary.  Veterans of this august event can tell you that only a fool goes unprepared into the Elvensword Arena.

Quick Question.  

Many people have wanted to know if there were additional tournament dice they could purchase and often the answer has been no.  This year, if there is anyone who might wish an additional set of them, please let me know in the next day or so.  The order is going in and unfortunately I have no faster way to ask. Let me know if so, and how many and i will try to accommodate up to the time I order them.

In Secure the Escape Tarmac:

- Can Walkers also benefit from the extra movement in No Man's Land?

- Since it's no longer normally possible for a Vehicle to move over Cruising Speed in the Movement Phase, there are no longer any "usual penalties and benefits of doing so", so some should be listed here.

- In general, the wording should be cleaned up a bit, to make it more clear that you can't, for instance, move at Combat Speed, take the extra 6" from No Man's Land, and still count as moving at Combat Speed.

- Dangerous Terrain Tests are normally failed on a 1, not a 6. Does "a difficult* terrain test of 5+" mean that you're immobilized on a 1-4, or on a 5-6?

All of these came up in a game the other night, and we weren't able to reach a consensus, working just from the wording in the Mission.

*Also, Difficult Terrain Tests are not actually a thing.

In Secure the Escape Tarmac:

- Can Walkers also benefit from the extra movement in No Man's Land?

- Since it's no longer normally possible for a Vehicle to move over Cruising Speed in the Movement Phase, there are no longer any "usual penalties and benefits of doing so", so some should be listed here.

- In general, the wording should be cleaned up a bit, to make it more clear that you can't, for instance, move at Combat Speed, take the extra 6" from No Man's Land, and still count as moving at Combat Speed.

- Dangerous Terrain Tests are normally failed on a 1, not a 6. Does "a difficult* terrain test of 5+" mean that you're immobilized on a 1-4, or on a 5-6?

All of these came up in a game the other night, and we weren't able to reach a consensus, working just from the wording in the Mission.

*Also, Difficult Terrain Tests are not actually a thing.

Again and truly, thanks for testing.

Walkers are a type of vehicle, per the first line on page 90 of the main rulebook.  Good catch.  As written, a Walker could do that.  That wasn't intended so I will address that.

The line on Cruising speed is technically accurate, but unnecessary for all the obvious reasons.  However it should read "combat speed" there to be meaningful. The essential upshot of using that rule is to increase the top end speed of a wheeled, tracked or hover vehicle, but in no way to change the effects on shooting of doing so.  I'll clean that up.

The text should read that it's a dangerous terrain.  I will also make sure that is less confusing.  In order to execute the additional 6" move, you must not have moved through any kind of difficult terrain.  However, doing so prompts its own special roll.  On a 5 or 6 you would immobilize after pivoting and then moving 6".

If we're fielding questions:

-Desecrating (or re-consecrating) the Shrine is done in place of shooting. Can this be done by units which can perform run+shoot actions (such as Eldar with Battle Focus or Tau in a Hunter Cadre)? Can a unit that is inside a transport give up their shooting, presuming the vehicle has fire points or is open-topped? The text seems to allow it, but it's a bit counter-intuitive.

-Does the -1 penalty to defender units for being within 12" of the shrine apply on a per-model or per-unit basis? In other words, does the whole unit have to be in range or just part of it?

-Can the defender sacrifice a unit that has a point cost but did not actually pay points for to The One? Something such as a unit brought into play with a conjuration power, spawned from a Tervigon, or disembarked Tau drones?

-The Linebreaker objective in The Shrine Point is different from the rulebook version- it does not specify that the unit needs to be a scoring unit. Is this an oversight?

-In Blitzkrieg, the rules for deploying objective markers specify that they cannot be placed within 8" of each other- this presumably overrides the normal rules forbidding placement of objectives within 12" of each other? Does it also allow objectives to be placed within 6" of a board edge (which is normally forbidden), or is that still prohibited?

-The Blitzkrieg tertiary objective is to contest your "own" objectives. Does this mean to simply have a scoring unit on them, or must the enemy be attempting to hold them and you stopping them? Is this affected by the presence of Objective Secured in any way?

-Super Eclipse also uses special objective-placement rules. Can these objectives be within 6" of a board edge?

-In Secure the Escape Tarmac, the players alternate deploying units (or declaring them to be in reserve.) If I have a unit and an independent character I wish to attach to them, is that counted as a single "choice" for deploying, or would I first place one of the unit/character and then for a later "choice" deploy the second one in coherency with them? What about units embarked in a transport? Are Infiltrators handled the same way as reserves where you declare a unit to be infiltrating as one of your "choices"?

-In many of the missions, the text notes that you roll off and "the winner deploys first." Is this accurate as printed, or is it intended that the winner of the roll-off can choose to be second if they so wish?

-Do fortifications count as a battlefield role for purposes of Escape the Tarmac?

-The Evacuation mission does not list when fortifications are to be deployed, though the other missions specifically change things to have them put down before objectives instead of the usual time.

-Which FAQs and/or supplements will be in effect for the tournament? Specifically, the inclusion (or non-inclusion) of the GW draft FAQs and the Death from the Skies supplement, both of which are considered fairly contentious. There are also things like the Imperial Space Marine and other "minor" supplemental materials are also worth considering.

• Like 1