6th Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournament

Lord Hanaur

You can see all about past tournaments here:  http://40kambassadors.com/rules.php

A unique...CAD?  Do you mean a Detachment?  I'm intrigued by the suggestion but can you expand on that idea?

Yes, I mean Detachment in the vein of a Combined Arms Detachment. Make one for the tournament- call it "Ambassador Detachment" and give it it's own rules. Possibilities include:

- Anytime you score a Victory Point, score +1 VP

- You can re-roll all the dice for one roll once per game (like re-roll all the to hit rolls of a shooting attack, or re-roll an invulnerable save). You still can't re-roll a re-roll. To use this ability, the player must make a short speech detailing why he is making the reroll and how it will help his faction. "In the Name of the Emperor, we MUST make our armor saves to preserve the foundation and way of life for Humanity in the Galaxy!" or some such. Make it fun!

- Anytime you fight a Challenge, you may declare a "Diplomatic Solution": Instead of fighting a close combat, each model in the challenge makes a Special Leadership Test unaffected by Fearless or any abilities: The model that passes the Leadership Test AND rolls the lowest wins the Diplomatic Solution: The losing model must be removed from the table as he takes the "Diplomatic Proposal" back to HQ. You may use Heroic Intervention to remove another model instead (you've selected a courier to take the message back). The winner of the Diplomatic Solution wins the Challenge and the loser MUST make a fall back move, even if they have a special rule that says they never fall back. The power of Diplomacy! 

- Select one HQ Character from your army, but not your Warlord: This model is your Ambassador to the enemy: He gains the Independent Character ability, and becomes a friendly model to BOTH players, but may never shoot or fight in close combat. This model must join the enemy Warlord and stay within coherency with him, and if the enemy Warlord starts in reserve, the Ambassador joins his unit and comes in with him. Thereafter, the model must always stay within coherency of the enemy Warlord, but does not count as a model for transport capacity or restrictions for movement/special abilities. Once per game, at the beginning of the enemy turn before Reserves are rolled, the Ambassador may use "Lend me your ear". If the Ambassador passes a Leadership Test, he has gained the attention of the enemy Warlord, and the Enemy Warlord and any unit he has joined, may not move, shoot, charge or use any special rules/abilities, as they listen to what the Ambassador has to say. If they are locked in close combat, they immediately fall back 2d6" (and the enemy unit may only consolidate d3") to listen to the Ambassador. At the end of the turn, the enemy Warlord may roll a Leadership test (Fearless or automatically passing LD tests do not apply): If he passes, he takes the Ambassador prisoner and scores an extra victory point. If he fails, the Ambassador is recalled. In both cases, remove the Ambassador from the table.

The Detachment itself would be: Compulsory: 2 HQ (one Warlord, one Ambassador), 1 Elite (must be an "honor guard" for one of you HQ's), and 2 Troops. Optional: 1 HQ, 4 Troops, 2 Elites, 3 Fast Attack, 3 Heavy Support, 1 Fortification, 1 Lord of War. If your Ambassador survives to the end of the game, you gain +1 VP. The compulsory elite choice must be a Command Squad, Honor Guard, etc. for the Warlord, (all Generals are surrounded by a staff of people...). If the army does not have such a unit available, then you must take an elite unit to represent such a squad.

During the tournament, you can have a "Diplomatic Conclave" consisting of only the Ambassadors from your army. Set up all the Ambassadors from the tournament on one table. Randomly select one to be the Speaker, and another to be the Master of Arms. Set these two models in front of all the others. Then, randomly select a player. They may attempt to debate the Speaker, or fight the Master of Arms: To debate the Speaker, each player rolls 2d6 and adds their Leadership: The player that rolls highest wins the debate, scores +1 VP, and becomes the new Speaker. If you fight the Master of Arms, both players immediately fight a Challenge: The winner of the challenge scores +1 VP and becomes the new Master of Arms. Any ties in both the Debate or Challenge ends the player's turn, and both players score +1 VP, but the Speaker or Master of Arms stays the same. At the same time, you can use this as an opportunity to judge the best Ambassador model that best represents their army as another special prize for the tournament.  

• Like 1

hehehe.  I like some of those.  Anything that is role playing based, i dig.  It's my background I am much more a roleplaying guy than a war gamer and these suggestions are fun.

I will say that because this is actually a Tournament and not a games day per se, some of these would just have too large an impact to be practical, while some would be perfect for a games day and it gets the mind churning.  

One feature of the Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournament is the Secondary Objectives.  They are revealed after the game starts.  Some of these things could be interesting fodfder for Secondary Objectives.  I'll definitely give it some thought as to how I could incorporate ideas like that.

One interesting usage of the Ambassadorial Detachment would be to solve the trouble with the Skitarii and the mechanicus.  You could also in theory, I suppose, create it so that it kind of prepares people for the Secure the Escape Tarmac And Break Their Force Cohesiveness mission.  Such as:1-2 HQ, 1-3 heavy Support, 1-3 Elite, 1-3 Fast Attack, 2-6 Troops choices,  You wouldnt strictly speaking want to make using that Detachment mandatory but it's food for thought.  not sure i want to interfere with the codex's to that extent but it's great input,  I have to say.

I hope you get to attend this year.

• Like 1

"this is not a games day per se". But are we not all showing up with our little plastic and metal toy soldiers to play make believe war? And don't we play games to have fun? So let's have some fun!

Right now, your tournament is no different from any of a hundred others I have ever been to. The only difference is you cap the number of players that can bring a certain army. Secondary objectives revealed after the game starts- do you have some random table with 100 thrilling objectives such as "Make a 12" charge" or "hold Objective 3 for two turns!" or "Fight a challenge this round!" How is that any different from Tactical Objectives or Mysterious Objectives? Its not, because every veteran player has played that style of 40K over the last two years. It's stale, it's boring, and no one will remember it because that's whats expected.

You have a fantastic opportunity to actually make a tournament that everyone will remember because it will be so different from what everyone else has already played in. Otherwise, the 6th Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournament will be just like the five Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournaments before it, and the same as every other 40K tournament out there and the only thing people will remember is that they didn't get to play the army they wanted to because Bob registered his army first, and that a three Wraith Knight list won last year. 

Shake up the status quo, make your tournament unique and something everyone will remember and have fun at.

• Like 1

Your exhortations to excellence are appreciated.

I would beg to differ as to how "like" other tournaments it is.  I mean tournaments are going to have commonalities no matter our intent.  But we aren't using ITC missions, we don't include a random Maelstrom component in the way the ITC does, and the mission design is unique to the event to encourage all comers type lists.  Have you read them?  The Secondaries are not just Maelstrom type Objectives.  The joy of ensuring you won't see the same army twice is also refreshing, to say the least, and we've had (for the most part) great attendees, so the vibe has been very good.  The pay outs are more than excellent.  I think you'll enjoy it, should you attend (I hope you can).

Having said that, input is always welcome and I liked a lot of your ideas.  Implementing them in a way that will make sense in a tournament that is not just a games day was my concern and that was what I meant.  I do enjoy creativity.

• Like 1

Seriously. This is going to be my fourth time attending, and what I'm actively hoping for is an experience much like the first three times I went. There are a few little details I would do differently if I were running the thing, but at the end of the day, it's been a blast every time, and I'm really looking forward to doing it again.

• Like 1

"this is not a games day per se". But are we not all showing up with our little plastic and metal toy soldiers to play make believe war? And don't we play games to have fun? So let's have some fun!

Right now, your tournament is no different from any of a hundred others I have ever been to. The only difference is you cap the number of players that can bring a certain army. Secondary objectives revealed after the game starts- do you have some random table with 100 thrilling objectives such as "Make a 12" charge" or "hold Objective 3 for two turns!" or "Fight a challenge this round!" How is that any different from Tactical Objectives or Mysterious Objectives? Its not, because every veteran player has played that style of 40K over the last two years. It's stale, it's boring, and no one will remember it because that's whats expected.

You have a fantastic opportunity to actually make a tournament that everyone will remember because it will be so different from what everyone else has already played in. Otherwise, the 6th Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournament will be just like the five Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournaments before it, and the same as every other 40K tournament out there and the only thing people will remember is that they didn't get to play the army they wanted to because Bob registered his army first, and that a three Wraith Knight list won last year. 

Shake up the status quo, make your tournament unique and something everyone will remember and have fun at.

I will disagree with this. This tournament is not like every other out there. In fact it plays very differently then any ITC tournament I have been too. Only facing one of each army is unique. Getting two brackets opens the limits this year which is nice. Getting food included in the price is rare in this area. I have only seen that in a few tournaments back east.

The mission are different and not the norm that people play in the ITC or from the BRB.

I don't see the tournament need fixing as it is not broken at all. He is looking at making it a 2 day event which is growth and change by adding a new mission.

I hope it can go do two brackets this year but I don't mind if it is only one. I like the format from the last few years and it makes for a nice 4 game event with food and fun time.

Making this two day event makes a lot more work for the TO.

Honestly I like the one day event for how this tournament is set up. Growth is good but I think I like it how it is now over the two day tournament for this year.

All and all, if it is not broken don't fix it.

I want to see GSC and make the astartes into two space marines variant slots, such as blood angels and ultras, since there is so much you can do in terms of gameplay with astartes.

I also like the cad + 2, but it doesnt allow some hijinks that the various codexes have designed.

I have found this tournament to be quite different than other tournaments, and incredibly refreshing. Two days can only mean double the fun.

• Like 1

Kewl, it would be good to have you there.  I know that we talked about it once before but it didn't work out.  Last year we didn't feature the Skitarii, because of the third mission and concerns about merging the two codex's and how that would work.  I think there's more to work with now.

I imagine there would be some others that would like to run such a thing as well.  It's a fairly popular army idea and again a distinctive force.

That's because it hasn't been set.  Did you read the post?

The normal procedure will be that I will announce when registration is opening in advance to make it fair.  Last year we filled the first bracket within about 2 hours of when that happened.  I think there might have been one Ambassador that was the next day or something but essentially it was filled.  We want to make sure everyone has a shot to get in.

So once that announcement goes out, you will be able to register using the website within a few days of that.  Those who register early do save some money, which was most of the Ambassadors.

When you register, you will be asked to choose a second and third choice of army.  I recommend doing this if you can, because those who register first are of course going to be made Ambassador of their faction.  As happened last time, multiple people may register at the same time, and this resolves that issue.  It also gives me the ability to keeps your place in the tournament should that happen, instead of just refunding it and saying "sorry, someone already chose that one".  Another value of it is that some people legitimately don't care what faction they are going to play.  I for example, play a multitude of forces and could play any army proficiently on short notice, and I think its safe to assume I'm not the only one.  Your first choice might only technically be a first choice because the system makes you put one first.  If someone else can ONLY play one army, it tells me who i can negotiate with on that point.  However your best bet is to choose a second and third choice if you can and are willing.  Be honest with yourself on that point:  a bad attitude based on the fact you aren't playing your first choice is the wrong attitude at this tournament.  No one wants to hear a players saying "Well if I coulda played X I woulda won" and so on.  Ultimately we want you happy and proud to be the Ambassador of your faction and you will have the maximum amount of fun doing so.

I hope that helps.

So, that doesn't address what I was saying.  What has changed with regards to AdMech in the last year that you decided that they are being permitted this year, while they weren't permitted last year?  

More people with more experience with the Army and how the two Dexes really do function as a single Army that got split up for marketing purposes. AdMech was still really new at the time decisions had to be made for Elvensword last year, and with the specific number of Factions available at that time, the simplest course was just to drop it.

More people with more experience with the Army and how the two Dexes really do function as a single Army that got split up for marketing purposes. AdMech was still really new at the time decisions had to be made for Elvensword last year, and with the specific number of Factions available at that time, the simplest course was just to drop it.

Bingo.

• Like 1

To qualify as an ITC Grant Tournament it has to be five rounds.  Don't know if we will, but it's been talked about a lot since last year.  Attendance certainly made it justifiable.  It really WAS a Grant Tournament had it been five games.

Why do you ask?

Just cheaking.. Secound day starts around noon for the last two games?