6th Elvensword Ambassadorial Tournament

Lord Hanaur

If we're fielding questions:

1-Desecrating (or re-consecrating) the Shrine is done in place of shooting. Can this be done by units which can perform run+shoot actions (such as Eldar with Battle Focus or Tau in a Hunter Cadre)? Can a unit that is inside a transport give up their shooting, presuming the vehicle has fire points or is open-topped? The text seems to allow it, but it's a bit counter-intuitive.

2-Does the -1 penalty to defender units for being within 12" of the shrine apply on a per-model or per-unit basis? In other words, does the whole unit have to be in range or just part of it?

3-Can the defender sacrifice a unit that has a point cost but did not actually pay points for to The One? Something such as a unit brought into play with a conjuration power, spawned from a Tervigon, or disembarked Tau drones?

4-The Linebreaker objective in The Shrine Point is different from the rulebook version- it does not specify that the unit needs to be a scoring unit. Is this an oversight?

5-In Blitzkrieg, the rules for deploying objective markers specify that they cannot be placed within 8" of each other- this presumably overrides the normal rules forbidding placement of objectives within 12" of each other? Does it also allow objectives to be placed within 6" of a board edge (which is normally forbidden), or is that still prohibited?

6-The Blitzkrieg tertiary objective is to contest your "own" objectives. Does this mean to simply have a scoring unit on them, or must the enemy be attempting to hold them and you stopping them? Is this affected by the presence of Objective Secured in any way?

7-Super Eclipse also uses special objective-placement rules. Can these objectives be within 6" of a board edge?

8-In Secure the Escape Tarmac, the players alternate deploying units (or declaring them to be in reserve.) If I have a unit and an independent character I wish to attach to them, is that counted as a single "choice" for deploying, or would I first place one of the unit/character and then for a later "choice" deploy the second one in coherency with them? What about units embarked in a transport? Are Infiltrators handled the same way as reserves where you declare a unit to be infiltrating as one of your "choices"?

9-In many of the missions, the text notes that you roll off and "the winner deploys first." Is this accurate as printed, or is it intended that the winner of the roll-off can choose to be second if they so wish?

10-Do fortifications count as a battlefield role for purposes of Escape the Tarmac?

11-The Evacuation mission does not list when fortifications are to be deployed, though the other missions specifically change things to have them put down before objectives instead of the usual time.

12-Which FAQs and/or supplements will be in effect for the tournament? Specifically, the inclusion (or non-inclusion) of the GW draft FAQs and the Death from the Skies supplement, both of which are considered fairly contentious. There are also things like the Imperial Space Marine and other "minor" supplemental materials are also worth considering.

1.  I am unsure what the actual issue is in the case of Eldar.  Battle Focus (page 148) says simply that you "must take both actions before you move onto the next unit-otherwise the chance to make the second action is forfeit".  So in the case of Battle Focus you could not shoot.  Therefore you could not use Battle Focus if you wished to Consecrate.  Battle Focus requires you to do both, explicitly.

2- One model in the unit.

3-  The mission covers this.  The unit must have originally cost 75 points or more.  As Disembarking Drones do not originally cost 75 points, they would be unsuitable.  Similarly a summoned unit did not originally cost you 75 points.  Therefore as the mission says, it would be unable to be used.

4-  Naturally, it needs to be a scoring unit.

5-  The Objective markers in Blitzkrieg can be anywhere in the enemy zone, so long as they are more than 8" from each other.  As it specifies this, it overrides the normal rules which say "unless otherwise specified do this..."  That means they could even be against the board edge, though if you consider it, that wouldn't probably be the best plan most of the time.  But you could.

6- Contesting objectives is not technically a rule.  You control something if you're within 3" and the enemy is not.  Nothing changes here.  So in essence when you are within 3" of your own objectives is what is meant there, as you could then contest it if someone challenged you for it.  Objective Secured does not actually allow you to "contest".  It allows you to control an objective if the enemy unit does not also have the rule.  Clearly you have failed to contest an objective you do not control.  But I can see that the wording, while no one has ever had any troubles understanding it, could definitely be corrected to say simply that "so long as you are within 3" of your objectives and no enemy controls it, you have achieved this objective".  "your" is defined as the ones in your deployment zone.

7- Yes.

8-  The 7th Edition rules clearly state that you must declare that a character is with a unit when it is placed into reserve and obviously they are one unit so in the case of reserves, you would announce it at the same time as one reserve.  If deploying on the board, then you would place one unit and later join him to the unit by placing him in the unit if that was your desire.  In the case of a Rhino, Chaos Marines and a character, they would be deployed separately.  Perhaps first the rhino, then the unit declared to be embarked, then the character declared to be joined to and embarked upon it.  Infiltrators are as normal.  Once all forces are deployed, you roll off to see who places them first and do so in order.

9. Take it literally.  It is accurate.

10. Excellent question actually.  Yes.  They have a Battlefield Role.  Like Lords of War, if you don't have one, it does not count as a Primary Objective for your opponent.  I'll need to make that clear.

11.  An oversight from previous editions.  As written it would happen when your forces are deployed.  I'll have to consider that butthats how it plays now.

12. Draft FAQ's are just that.  We will be using the ITC FAQ (not to be confused with the ITC Format of course) barring any changes we list on our site.

1.  I am unsure what the actual issue is in the case of Eldar.  Battle Focus (page 148) says simply that you "must take both actions before you move onto the next unit-otherwise the chance to make the second action is forfeit".  So in the case of Battle Focus you could not shoot.  Therefore you could not use Battle Focus if you wished to Consecrate.  Battle Focus requires you to do both, explicitly.

What about units inside transports consecreating/desecrating?

Edit: And use of Death from the Skies?

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly doing this and then the LVO the next weekend may not be a doable thing for me. Sadly.

I beleive in you.  You can do anything if the will is their.  Ask Matt and Glen.  I was pretty much crawling the last three games at the Bay Area Open after my back went out right as i was starting game 4.  Good lord.  But uh fought through and made it to the end!

18 spots are filled and I havent even had coffee yet! Way to go fellas. Make sure to register if you haven't. It would be cool to fill every slot by the end of day.

How come there are only 7 Factions listed as taken on the site? Does that mean the first bracket is completely full, and we're that far into the second? Or that those are the ones that are taken in both brackets? Or something else entirely?