Planetary Onslaught

dalmer

Hello there,

Planetary Onslaught info:

Description

Invasion and conquest in the 41st Millennium

Across the vast galactic expanses of the Imperium of Man, a desperate war of survival has raged for more than ten thousand years. Countless savage battles are being fought at any given moment – and none rage more fiercely than those fought between an invading army and a desperate defending force.

The Book

The 112-page hardback supplement Planetary Onslaught brings together and updates the rules for 3 Warhammer 40,000 expansions – Planetstrike, Stronghold Assault and Cities of Death – and presents them as stages of planetary conquest. Play them individually, or string the three different sets of rules together to create an epic campaign that tells the story of the fate of an entire world! One player assumes the role of aggressor, and the other defender, playing through the three phases with additional rules tying the whole campaign together into a single, brutal Planetary Onslaught.

There’s also a huge array of updated datasheets for Fortifications and Fortification Networks, new Siege War missions, and full campaign trees for Planetstrike, Stronghold Assault and Cities of Death games.

The Contents

-        6 Planetstrike missions
-        6 Stronghold Assault missions
-        6 Cities of Death missions

-        Rules and campaign trees for a Planetary Onslaught campaign – play through the conquest of an occupied world from invasion to destruction!

-        Updated datasheets for the following Fortifications, which can be used by any Warhammer 40,000 army:

Aegis Defence Line
Imperial Bastion
Imperial Strongpoint
Wall of Martyrs Imperial Defence Line
Wall of Martyrs Imperial Defence Emplacement
Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker
Wall of Martyrs Firestorm Redoubt
Wall of Martyrs Vengeance Weapon Battery
Macro-cannon Aquila Strongpoint
Vortex Missile Aquila Strongpoint
Fortress of Redemption
Void Shield Generator
Basilica Administratum
Manufactorum
Sanctum Imperialis
Shrine of the Aquila
Manufactorum Armoured Containers
Twisted Copse
Skyshield Landing Pad
Honoured Imperium
Promethium Relay Pipes

-        Rules for the following Fortification Networks, usable by any Warhammer 40,000 army:

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Defence Network
Void Relay Network

-        Rules for the following Fortifications and Fortification Networks usable by the Tau Empire:

Tidewall Shieldline
Tidewall Droneport
Tidewall Gunrig
Tidewall Rampart
Tidewall Gunfort
Tidewall Defence Network

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Planetary-onslaught-HB-ENG

• Like 3

Not seeing the plasma obliterator in that list.

Very disappointing to see those TAU fortifications clearly listed as not okay options for my tyranids (despite the rules that come with the kit not saying anything of the sort).

And really sad to see we're not getting updated BRB terrain rules. They really do need a terrain book, that just covers how to use normal, non-GW terrain.

What did you seriously expect to happen?

Oh, regarding the TAU fortifications, yes, I expected them to be availibe to any 40k army, just like how all the imperium fortifications are welcome in any 40k army. And the rules in the box don't dispute this point. I don't see a fluff reason that any of the TAU fortifications are more unreasonable for my tyranids to field than them having an Aquilla, or bastion, or fortress of redemption. And I defintely don't see a balance issue. If anything, I should get a lower point cost to field TAU fortifications in a non-TAU army, just because I can't benefit from some of their features. 

Oh, regarding the TAU fortifications, yes, I expected them to be availibe to any 40k army, just like how all the imperium fortifications are welcome in any 40k army. And the rules in the box don't dispute this point. I don't see a fluff reason that any of the TAU fortifications are more unreasonable for my tyranids to field than them having an Aquilla, or bastion, or fortress of redemption. And I defintely don't see a balance issue. If anything, I should get a lower point cost to field TAU fortifications in a non-TAU army, just because I can't benefit from some of their features. 

I think the fact that they have abilities that explicitly only work for Tau models are the reason why they are restricted to Tau armies. Obviously they still could theoretically have some uses for other forces, but that's a bit of a marginal case.

I think the fact that they have abilities that explicitly only work for Tau models are the reason why they are restricted to Tau armies. Obviously they still could theoretically have some uses for other forces, but that's a bit of a marginal case.

I call bull[big bad swear word] on your reasoning, citing Honoured Imperium being available to all armies as blowing a hole in your thought process.

I call bull[big bad swear word] on your reasoning, citing Honoured Imperium being available to all armies as blowing a hole in your thought process.

I don't think it's a good reason, and let's not pretend that GW is ever consistent with their rules or reasons for things, but that's what I'm assuming that GW is rationalizing it as.

I think that they should've done race-specific fortifications a long time ago, because the rules easily permit them. That they largely haven't up until very recently and then suddenly done a surge of stuff for Tau and only Tau is quite weird, but complaining that other armies don't get to take those fortifications when they can't use most of their abilities is rather futile.

I don't think it's a good reason, and let's not pretend that GW is ever consistent with their rules or reasons for things, but that's what I'm assuming that GW is rationalizing it as.

I think that they should've done race-specific fortifications a long time ago, because the rules easily permit them. That they largely haven't up until very recently and then suddenly done a surge of stuff for Tau and only Tau is quite weird, but complaining that other armies don't get to take those fortifications when they can't use most of their abilities is rather futile.

Personally, I'm expecting race specific fortifications for all armies, eventually. But as is, looks like GW is making the imperium share, while they procrastinate about building other terrain features for the other factions. 

It would not surprise me if some of the existing fortifications are found in the IG codex next time around. Those Wall of Martyrs sets, in particular, seem designed with IG exclusively in mind.

Tyranids are another army I'd expect to have fortifications in their next codex. No buildings with AV value, but I can totally picture some immobile tyranids being added to the army as a fortification slot. They came close, in their current codex, by having a warlord trait that transforms existing terrain into dangerous, so GW was clearly thinking about tyranid terrain options then. 

For space marines, I've always thought SM should have something like the Aegis defense line, except that it drops into play (like from the sky). Very halo-ish, but that copyright would not stop GW from making a very similar version and "forgetting" that they borrowed the idea when in comes time to sue other companies that copy them....

Yeah, Forge World had already produced some Tyranid terrain pieces, so it wouldn't be hard to do something for them.

I think the reason they haven't done other races' stuff is that they are kits with a limited market, but to think about it so is any kit for a non-Imperial race, so I'm not sure what the reason for making, say, a new kit for the Deathwatch flyer but not a terrain kit for the races. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do it in the style of the building kits they have, with a bunch of modular pieces that can be assembled into 1-4 different fortifications of various kinds.

(By the fluff for it, Aegis Defense Lines actually are dropped into play; they come in little crate thingers that are airdropped into a battle zone and the troops on site unpack them and voila, instant fortress.)

I was surprised when those AoS terrain pieces were released without also having 40k rules. So easy to expand their market, without any changes to the models. That chaos Dreadhold, especially, is perfectly sized for 40k, and that gate fits a land raider without conversion.