World of Tanks - any players?

jesselowe

No, the crew for each vehicle is fixed (and I believe mostly historically accurate).

Different vehicles have different crew allocated.  For example the Russian KV-5 has a 6-man crew.  Commander, Gunner, Driver, Radio Operator, Loader, Loader.  The Marder II that you mentioned earlier is Commander (Radio Operator), Driver, Gunner (Loader) for a crew of three, two of which fulfill two roles.

Like all games today there is next to no information in the official handbook/rules.  You need to go to a dev-maintained website (or sites) to get the complete rules.  There's a wiki at http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Main_Page that covers a lot of the rules in dry, tedious text.  It's a wealth of information if you are willing to wade through it but it is overwhelming when getting started.

Again, take your Marder II.  You can see full details on it at http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:G20_Marder_II.  If you look on the right hand side you can find all sorts of statistics including a section on armaments.  At the bottom of that section you can click to change what gun you have on the tank and get updated statistics.  After picking the gun you want, go back up to the "Rate of Fire" section and you will note that there is a little triangle to the far right of the entry.  Mouse over that and you can see all the things that modify the rate of fire and what those modifications do.

This game has a lot of parallels to the old Avalon Hill wargames.  You can get into the game with a difficulty of about 3 for the first scenario but playing the full game is difficulty 10 and if you are a novice playing an experienced player you can expect to get your butt handed to you in rather short order.

Knowing how to conceal a tank, how to equip it for the way you play (sniping vs. derp guns), which tank lines favor the way you play vs. those that are really designed for something totally different, what enemy tanks do and where they are strong or weak and finally what each map looks like and what player tendencies are on those maps is a massive undertaking but it is also what makes the distinction between carrying your team and being carried.

I quit playing back when it was just Russians, Germans and Americans.  When I tried to come back with Brits, French and Chinese tanks I quickly came to the conclusion that it was not worth the time and effort I would have to put in to actually get back to the level I was playing at prior (and it didn't help that they took my arty and beat it to death with the nerf bat).

YMMV.  If you enjoy the PvP aspect of it and are willing to put in the time the system makes a lot of sense and the more you put into it, the more you can get out of it.  Whether or not you are willing to get past the initial hump is going to be a personal decision though.

Right now I'm working through the German trees to try to get vehicles I'm interested in. That seems to be the hardest part for me right now. I have to grind vehicles I don't enjoy (marder II) to earn a vehicle that I hope will be better. I wish the skill tree was more accurate as well. I hate unlocking something, and then finding out I can't equip it because I need some other upgrade first. Seems pretty stupid that a required upgrade is not in that advancement line. I also don't get why Elite vehicles don't let you unlock other tanks. I doubt I'll ever get above Tier 4. The grind required to get there just seems so long.

They need to add Italian vehicles though.

So the issue with the skill tree is not so much about the required upgrades and more about some of the things that you are not seeing...

Your suspension determines the maximum weight of your tank but it does not know what contributes to the weight of your tank.  If you add a camo net or rammer to your tank it contributes weight that is not accounted for anywhere on the research tree.  Maybe you used your extra weight to upgrade the radio, not the gun.  Now that you want the gun you don' thave enough weight for it.

In the case of things that are truly required I think they are all organized correctly.  Some guns cannot be put in the original turret but every time I have seen that the gun upgrade in question is located somewhere beyond the turret upgrade that is required.  Both upgrades, however, are placed on the tree independent of the suspension upgrade which may be required to upgrade the turret and gun in the first place.

In my opinion, most of the fun stuff is in the 6-8 range but I can certainly understand frustration with portions of it.  As I mentioned above, I no longer play because I can't devote the time I would need to play at a level that I would find entertaining.

Burk didn't read my whole post... Note that Premium tanks do have one other very important benefit that you're leaving out, Burk... Look at the second-to-last paragraph of my post about training crews.

Actually I did not read it at all :). I posted it at the same time as yours.

Well, if my tanks had upgrades on them other than what is in the trees, I could see that, but they don't. There is nothing on my tanks other than what is in the trees (simply too expensive to buy any of those other upgrades). Hmmm so if I drop down the radio size, then maybe I can fit the upgraded turret? Maybe I'll give that a try.

Right now I just run down my tanks and play a game, get killed, hop to the next tank, rinse and repeat. I am having fun at times, but I have to say it is equally frustrating to get killed right away with no idea on how.

Rather than juggle components which can be extremely frustrating... if you pull up the research tree and mouse over the tank you should get a pop-up (or maybe I am misremembering and you need to click on the tank in the research tree?) which has the information about the current tank including its weight.  All their weights are in metric tons (1000 kg) and the components are in metric tons or in kilos.  You can look at the weight of the current tank, mouse over the suspension to see what the maximum weight is and then look at the weight difference of the components you want to add.  It'll keep you from spending money on something that you cannot equip.

Also, although it is a slower process, I suggest sticking with a single tank and playing it a lot (an evening, a few evenings).  You have to wait for a battle to finish but even in one three hour session you should see improvement in your performance in that tank as you get the timing and other characteristics (like camo profile) down.  You'll know better how to hide in it, how to shoot with it and how to drive it if you get into a tight battle (a brawl).

Razz,.  that is normal when you start.  new tank crews suck and take a while to move up.  you are also playing against experienced players, most players on there have several t10's and play the lower tiers to get to the next one.  t10s get played but they lose money so the lower level tanks is what is played to get the cash you need to afford the big boys.  

You just have to suck it up and accept that it takes a long time to get good at the game.  Most players with 4k plus games will lost 70% of their first 1k...then you start to change that percentage.  Hell, I have more than 6k games and happy with my 49% win ratio......anything over 50% is like a superb player.  Running joke is wishing you could ignore your first 4k.......

Razz,.  that is normal when you start.  new tank crews suck and take a while to move up.  you are also playing against experienced players, most players on there have several t10's and play the lower tiers to get to the next one.  t10s get played but they lose money so the lower level tanks is what is played to get the cash you need to afford the big boys.  

You just have to suck it up and accept that it takes a long time to get good at the game.  Most players with 4k plus games will lost 70% of their first 1k...then you start to change that percentage.  Hell, I have more than 6k games and happy with my 49% win ratio......anything over 50% is like a superb player.  Running joke is wishing you could ignore your first 4k.......

7062 total rounds played sitting at 50.74% and im far from a superb player lol.

Most all of my tanks are below 50% win rates but I got sick of loosing so much that I switched to just running my pz38t most all the time and it has a 56% win rate in 2831 battles...yeah I like the low tier stuff as its cheap to play.

Really though if ya want a good solid w/l rate you need to platoon up a lot and work together...I just haven't done that in years as the group I was in was pretty hard core into the land control macro game and im a bit too casual for that stuff.

Bro G...the German lines are all pretty solid,For Assualt guns the Hetzer is a great platform to work up to elite and grind credits in.Its also actually built on the same chassis as the pz38 both being models that were captured from the Czech`s in the 30`s when Hitler rolled in and said hello.In the early war they made up a large part of the Panzer Divisions that rolled into Poland and France.I think they are well modeled for accuracy in this game..unlike many of the drawing board "Buck Rogers" tanks that they have thrown into the mix as content filler(and annoying filler at that).

When you are doing the German lights stop and elite out the PZ1C,its pretty much best in tier I think and really easy to run being fast and small.

I seen ya in Arty last night...yeah arty isint as fun as it used to be,well it used to be some pretty oped cheese though splashing the [big bad swear word] out of even heavy tanks.Its since been toned down but takes a ton of grinding to get up to snuff with them.I don't like the helplessness of the grind in it as you will face tons of games were you cant do crap and lights just speed in and waste ya.Its certainly a vehicle class that's much easier to grind through in organized team play,

40% of your battles in one tank with a 56%...yeah take those out and your average will be hovering around 50.  :).  you are a superb player....with that tank.

there is a math wiz that can figure out where you would be with the numbers you give above....but its not me.

New question. Crew. So they are rated for a specific vehicle? or a class of vehicle? So if I have a light tank crew, I can put them in any light tank and they will be okay? I think I currently have four light tanks in my garage, so just wanted to know if I should sell and consolidate crew. Also, does the crew go away when you sell a vehicle? I had the first german arty tank, but sold it when I could get the wespe...but now I don't really know what happened to the crew of that vehicle...but the wespe is a higher class anyways..so I assume the crew would have to retrain in it right?

Crew is trained on a specific vehicle.  They just suffer less if moved to another vehicle of the same weight. Tier of the vehicle does not enter into the equation.  Moving from a tier II light to another tier II light is the same as moving to a tier III or tier IV light.

If I recall, moving from one vehicle to another of the same class is a 20% penalty...  A light to another light, a TD to another TD...  You can spend silver to mitigate half of that or gold to mitigate all of that but the retraining is permanent meaning you would have to retrain again to go back to the prior vehicle.

Similarly, moving to a different class of vehicle should be a 40% penalty (but may still be useful when you get the opportunity to move into your first heavy tanks, for example).  Doesn't matter how different as I recall...  Light to medium is the same as light to arty or medium to TD.

That's where "premium" tanks (not elites, but the ones you bought with gold or real cash) really stand out as different.  If you go out and buy a Jagdtiger 88, which is a premium tank, you can put any german TD crew in it without retraining them and without taking any penalty.

As Burk and Razz (I think it was them anyway) mentioned, it's *really* expensive to drive a T9 or T10 tank.  The price of the ammo and the repairs is prohibitive.  The way you get a good crew for your Jagdpanzer E 100 or your Waffentraeger auf E 100 is to buy the tank and then move the crew to your Jagdtiger 88 and drive that until the crew is rockin' so you can put them back into the T10 TD and actually have a good crew to drive it with.

• 1 month later...

The latest patch has really pissed me off...starting to see arty parties again,three so far.Also spotting is really fooked now,ive had rounds were Assault guns are getting 6+ kills and no one ever sees them.

I think im finally done with this game.

Switching to War Thunder as their ground game has made many improvements.

I haven't played in a while. PC or Xbox version? What patch specifically? I noticed on the Xbox the autocannons started becoming meta, it seems like more power creep??

I play PC,,yeah in WoT the flak guns mounted on tanks are godmode,lol.In reality they were effective only against trucks and very light armor and of course raking buildings garrisoned with troops.

This coupled with the Pz1c having the equivalent speed of a high performance sports car /rolleyes...the game is just getting dumb

On the War thunder front im actually starting to get into it,having experience with WoT im getting a kills in every match I play.Their multiple play modes and mission types is a bit confusing though.Plus its pretty cool that the players flying planes are fighing overhead while the tank guys are on the ground.Ive been strafed and wrecked by an enemy player fighter.

Ive tried planes,which is fun but Ive never been good at flight sims so im pretty fail in the air,lol.

I don't play War Thunder much these days because I'm busy with other games but I found the air game much better than WOWP and the ground game far superior to WOT.  I generally only play the ground game on Simulator level which removes the 3rd person camera, makes the tanks behave more realistically. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried WarThunder and found it looked nice, but was just completely frustrating and unfun (for me) to play.  It is so easy to be 1-shotted by tanks that you can't see in WT... well-1-shotted period.  It just didn't make for a fun time playing.  It looks nice, and the concept of multi-aspect is pretty neat...but constantly driving forward to be able to see/shoot something only to suddenly be killed and having to do it again (and again and again until you are out of respawns) got old pretty fast.  Even playing cautiously and surviving, meant that then there was usually very little shooting to be done.  It just isn't a fun game IMO.  I suppose that its just too 'realistic' for my taste.  Personally, I'd rather spend my time on a more arcade-style game that is fun (for me) to play.  I do give it a retry every now and then, like when the US tanks got introduced.  I still haven't had fun with it.

That said, I agree that WoT has taken a bit of a slide in terms of fun as well recently.  

I am greatly looking forward to World of Warships, though.

• Like 1