Firearm Safety Classes Offered

dalmer

Hello there,

This is the new topic promised from the other posting.  I'll hit the high points:

*  State certified firearms instructor (handgun, rifle, shotgun)

*  Current police officer with 18 years of service, 10+ being in SWAT

*  Have instructed tons of folks prior... kids, teens, women and men

*  Willing to do this for free as a favor to the Warhamster community

I will supply a location 99.9% of the time that's well lit, warm and safe (i.e. the police department)

I will supply non-lethal firearms for instructional purposes for the first classes

I will supply training materials for you to take home and review

I will give you good foundational skills and hone existing ones

I will treat folks with respect and patience

I will give my personal opinion on whatever topics when asked

I will not tolerate BS or unsafe actions... I've been shot at by suspects on two occasions and don't need more

I will not engage in a battle of egos... be a student or don't show

I will not put up with disparaging anti-police views... we're here to help this community and this is an example of that

The first class I would wish to instruct is a BASIC, foundational handgun operator's course.  You will learn how to safely clear a handgun, how to safely load and charge a handgun and some basic, foundational shooting skills.  You will learn and be expected to adhere to the universal firearms safety laws.  Lots of civilians have taken this and given me positive feedback.

The class would be expected to digest and train this information for a period of time.

Class two would be talking about what I feel are important foundational shooting skills and "dry firing" over and over and over in a safe environment. 

The class would be expected to digest and train this information for a period of time.

Class three would be "live fire" and going to a range and going over some BASIC shooting drills.  These three classes would provide a nice foundational starting point for most folks and give them the skills needed to operate a handgun safely.

I could do the same thing with rifles and shotguns if you'd like.  And when I say "rifles" I usually mean AR- platforms, as that is what most folks want instruction in. 

After basic classes we could talk about branching into self-defense / retention / etc. stuff, but only after folks demonstrate safe and proficient skill sets of instructional material covered thus far. 

If folks want to skip this and go to a local and reputable course where you pay money, let me know too as I can refer you to quality folks and not fly-by-night "ninja awesome death gun" BS.

The offer is out, you folks just have to organize who wants it and how many folks there will be, etc.

My son at 10 years old was running my duty Glock and SWAT AR- just fine... the shotgun gave him trouble due to his size.  He's 13 now and will be happy to attend so folks with similar aged-kids can feel comfy.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 3

Don, you're a prince!

I'd love to take advantage of your offer, for myself and (if you think it's age-appropriate) my 10-year old daughter. She's bright, responsible, and has surprising upper body strength from a lifetime on monkey bars. The times she's been able to shoot (.22 rifle), she's really enjoyed it and behaved responsibly.

Thanks a million for offering this!

Just get a family Kevin. I hear Fred Meyers is having a special. Yeah I am in the same boat. Unless the stars align right in the scheduling galaxy it is definitely not going to happen. Same reason I haven't picked up that tv from you. Yes I still want it.

Oh and Don, aside from custer do you know of any shooting ranges around Bellingham if any?

Hello there,

Thanks for the interest responses, makes it way easier for me.  I totally get scheduling gremlins, thus tend to try and set stuff in the future so folks can actually clear time to attend.

huggies01 - Plantation Rifle Range is another local shooting range.  It's south on Samish Way down by the Lake Whatcom area.  They can accommodate handgun, rifle and shotgun.  Should have a schedule online and it's run by Whatcom County Parks and Recreation. 

I would be willing to do this on a weekend if that's what work's best for folks, no problem. 

How does either Saturday, March 22nd or Sunday, March 23rd work for people?  Again, I could do the first class as a 2 to 3 hour introduction class and we would have breaks, etc.  Very, very basic stuff to start with and I will supply the location, firearms and course material.

This gives folks with scheduling issues time to plan.  You folks just figure out what day works best.  And if both of those days are equally crappy, let's figure out another one.

Stay safe,

don

Hello there,

It sounds like Saturday, March 22nd will be the day.  You are being given ample time to schedule so hopefully that helps.

Please plan on a start time of noon.  Easy for me to remember as well as not being too early / too late for folks.

I will supply the location and materials and will update as the day approaches.

All are welcome to attend provided that you read the very first post and agree with what I typed out.  Wives, girlfriends, significant others, buddies, kids, etc.  I've instructed ages from 8 to 70, so not a problem.

You will not need to bring anything other than yourselves, note-taking materials if you're into that (I'll also have a sign-in sheet where I can email you a copy of the PowerPoint we go over) and a positive attitude.  Don't worry about eye protection, hearing protection or any of that because we will not be shooting anything.

This will be a BASIC, HANDS-ON HANDGUN SAFETY / ORIENTATION class.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.