I have been playing 40k (Marines and Tau) for about 6 months and am interested in starting a small Fantasy Army. Currently I am looking and Vampires and Dwarfs. The latter because its new and I hear it has a low model count. The former because it has a lot of fluff that I have been reading about in books. What I think I want is something with a lot of magic, relatively low or reasonable model count (cost is a factor & would like to start with 800 to 100 points worth of stuff), and lots of interesting fluff. Am I on the right path with these two armies or should I be looking elsewhere? Also I would prefer to play an evil race but it isn't necessary. Thanks in advance for the input!

-T 

Well Dwarfs aren't quite out yet, but High magic they are not. Vampires have the magic, but really need lots of basic troops (some one might be able to point you to a good low model build but I am not familiar with any).

If you want Low Model/High Magic Elves might do the trick (High or Dark) (High is easy to get into as the big box has them, but evil they are not).

As has been mentioned Dwarves don't have magic, they shut it down. We still do not know yet how the Dwarves will turnout but the book comes out SOON. They are a slow stout strong lot that are excellent with black powder.

They appear to be on the mid to hard scale to learn becuase positioning and movement is big in this game and the short ones don't move anywhere fast.

VCs are high magic with a mid level learning curve. As Drac said it is normally not a low model count army unless you go the Ghoul themed route.

I would have a hard time giving suggestions as to which one to play becuase fluff wise I love both those armies and there are a lot of secondary models out there that look fantastic that I would love to play with.

As for elves both are High Magic, low model count armies that are fast and have powerful units. But all elves suffer from allergies from a soft wind becuase they fall over dead when they get hit by it. But I do play DE and find them rewarding and elves are a strong choice.

Anyway you go you should have fun. Welcome to Fantasy, we take things a little less serious here (we play more for fun and company that to win.) but we have loads of fun doing it.

Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciate it. Based on what you've said I have several more questions.

I had heard that dwarves where magic killers. The low model count and their "newness" is was what really caught my attention. I think part of me just wanted to be part of the ship date hoopla this weekend. I will probably let that go. Between High/Dark Elves and Vamps which is easier for a beginner? Should I go with on of the basic army boxes for either or is there a better way start? How many points can I squeeze of of those boxed?

One of my fears about the Dark elves is they look fragile and hard to paint. Faces are my bane and I have had it relatively easy painting Marines and Tau. Are my thoughts about those models correct? Would a ghoul army allow me to get some of those cool looking skelly knights? Lastly, Is it hard to get low point fantasy games? I see postings for 40K leagues all over the place but worry that I will by a bunch of models and never get the chance to play.

Thanks again!

-T

Where are you located? Here in Portland we play every Sunday. I will admit I would love to see more leagues but am happy with the less competetive enviroment.

The three armies you listed have about the same learning curve, just different angles.

The Large Army boxes for DE and VC are good boxes but those are the Large boxes not batalions. Also all three of those armies have many different builds that are solid so hard to say what to start with till we narrow down what your play style is and what you want out of this army?

Looks wise which one do you like? And as far as for painting the elves have faces but clean sleak uniforms that are easy to paint. The undead? Well can you do dead flesh, bone and dirt colored cloth?

And if you need help with faces there are many on here that can give you tips and great color choices. And I mean professional painters too, not just hobbiests.

as for vamps the skeleton knights are accessible to any army you want to take as they are bought out of the special selection.

I would stay away from the kit box as most of what you would get there likely wouldn't meet your need of few models. and I don't think you actually save any money compared to buying t piecemeal.

vamps are forgiven to a beginning painter as you can make undead look however you want!

For evil army with low model count and heavy magic use you have the very definition of the warriors of chaos...cannot speak to the fluff, never read it. If you go Chaos Warriors for core, sorcerers for hero level, chaos dragon ogres/knights for special and juggernauts for rare you will find points disappearing in a hurry. And easy upgrades to the things looking for to daemons, etc...

I know they have not mentioned in the thread but they fulfill 2 of your 3 requirements. 

Yes I am in Portland and great to hear that there's a standing game. If I am honest the Dark Elves look the best to me. I just like the back story to the Vamps. In 40k I like high expensive strong units (thus the low model count) with some artillery back up. I am also all about the hit and run. I am guessing I would like the magic for that bit of random luck. I was looking at the battalion boxes on the site. I'd like to keep the initial cost to under 200, to see if its as cool as I think it is.

-T

Actually Chaos Warriors do fit the bill and are some what SM like with great armor and attacks. And painting wise IMO they almost paint themselves. But for theme wise it may be hard to pick one god to follow but it makes it easier to paint when you do.

Yet that said it is a melee based army, like the VC, and the Hell Cannon I believe is their only good choice for range.

But of the Dark Elves look good come down Sunday and I can show you my models and book. Mind you I have been lazy in the painting deparment.

Murphy what time is WoW on Sunday and can I bring my kid with me? I'd like to chat you up about the Dark Elves. Do you have any thoughts about the box sets outside of the battalion? Also any one have thoughts about the main differences between High and Dark Elves. If my daughter had her way it would be High Elves all the say. They see to have a lot of female models.

-T

I think Games start at 4 PM. Your. The boys make it family friendly as needed so you should be good there.

The Difference between the two is Evil vs Good! :P

Seriously though, both armies are fairly similar. Dark Elves are a but more monstery while High Elves have more... other things... They both have roughly equivalent options.

Elves, any type, being T3 and very fragile have a pretty steep learning curve. You will need to master the movement phase in order to do well with them and not be frustrated.  Also, the Wood Elves (dirty, hippy elves) are do out soon.  That might be another option if you are still interested in Elves.

All the Elf armies have a lot of female models, but the Dark Elves are not as family freindly if you get my drift. Not nudity but they dress like there's nothing to hide.

And the Dark Elves do have a more Female dominate feel to it. And yes it includes the leather and whips.

Movement is a big deal for every army and the elves are more fragile but are one of, if not the fastest, armies. The learning curve is not as freindly as the Empire or Chaos Warriors but when you become even a confident player there is so many possibilities in those armies is almost over whelming.

And Elven Magic is fantastic, except for the Wood Elves who are still 3-4 editions behind.

High Elf magic is stable so you don't worry about miscasts as much. Dark Elf magic is more painful for sure. Dark Magic is brutal even though the 6th spell may not be a black sun. But unlike High Elves Dark Elves do miscast and if their magic phase goes south it is a long recovery. Then again you can take which are one of the best units in the game and just forget about the miscasting, becuase they could care less.

I will be there at 4 on Sunday. Also I am a father myself and love kids, so no worries on the family freindliness from me.

Mantic has a line of chaos dwarf models that don't break the bank. So check them out if you really want magic dwarfs. A whole lot cheaper than forgeworld and the same scale, if not the same quality.

You've picked two armies that are really on different sides of the spectrum in terms of magic. If you are serious about the dwarfs, I would wait until after the new book is released. No sense getting into an army that is about to change.

The VC can be high magic, but due to the explosive nature of magic, and the fact that your army starts to crumble when the general dies...you really have to be careful with how you handle the magic phase. I've lost plenty of games because my general miscast and killed himself. So for you, that means multiple casters. I suppose you could go with expensive troops, and terrorgheists (they are sort of like arty).

Another army to look at could be the Tomb Kings. Very cool theme, undead, rely on magic too, and have some very expensive units. And they have real ranged artillery. But they are not a top tier army in terms of strength.

Don't do chaos. Sure, they are a good army no doubt. But they are kind of the OP beatstick. They are just very effective right out of the box. And therefore, quite common to see.

If you are stuck on the dwarfs or VC..I'd go VC. Lots of flavor there, lots of different builds to try. And most of the kits are still holding the old prices. Plus you should be able to find people selling armies easily. Dwarf players are a strange lot that hold on them regardless of how good they are in the current edition. :)

Don't forget that High Elves will almost always strike first - a plus for those just starting Warhammer and not quite used to the block-movement side of Fantasy.  They also have plenty to do in every phase: strong magic, good shooting (but not GREAT!), silver helm knights as core, plenty of 2+ save, chariots, dragons, redirectors, scouts, specialized elites and several fun monsters thrown in.  They're the Eldar of fantasy.

I don't care for the sculpts though and opted for the Lord of the Rings Galadhrim ones

Thanks again everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it. It sounds like Dark Elves, High Elves, VC and maybe Tomb Kings should be on my list of considerations. Anyone know anything about building an army around the Sisters of Avelorn? My daughter would be stoked if I did a mostly female army? The Witches in the DE army look good to dad but I don't think bondage looking chicks are good for the kiddo :). Of those 4 what's the ranking for new player ease and competitiveness? The new player part is the more pressing issue for me but it would suck to spend all my time loosing. 

Thanks again everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it. It sounds like Dark Elves, High Elves, VC and maybe Tomb Kings should be on my list of considerations. Anyone know anything about building an army around the Sisters of Avelorn? My daughter would be stoked if I did a mostly female army? The Witches in the DE army look good to dad but I don't think bondage looking chicks are good for the kiddo :). Of those 4 what's the ranking for new player ease and competitiveness? The new player part is the more pressing issue for me but it would suck to spend all my time loosing. 

High elves play in all 4 phases - they all move well and have flyers and cavalry. They have some of the strongest magic and can get any of the 8 base lores + their own High Magic lore. The have good (light) shooting. Elite units fight well, both cavalry and infantry. They have monsters and beasts. They have armored units. The only disadvantage is their squishiness vs. their cost - they can die quickly.

I think they'd play way better than VC at low points - VC depends heavily on magic to regrow their losses and can just get hammered at low points with no way to come back.

Most of the HE units are a mix of male and female or are pretty androgynous. I haven't heard that the Sisters are particularly good, but if nothing else, there are a lot of female components for conversions and tons of female characters.

I don't play any of those though, so take it with a grain of salt. Hope to see you on Sunday! Bringing my almost-8-year-old, so it'll be a kidstravaganza!