YAY! First Dwarf List of our Modern Era-- 2.5k

I got the new book yesterday and I'm liking it. I was bummed to see a few things go like the extra movement from the anvil and forcing opponents to charge or flee with the Rune of the Challenge. Oh well. We also got a lot of improvements, and I think came out on top overall. He's my first crack at it:

246: Lord w/ Great Weapon; runic armor: 2x RoFortitude, RoStone; Shieldbearers

153: Thane w/ shield, BSB: MRoGrungni

88: Runesmith w/ shield; runic talisman: RoSpellbreaking

93: Runesmith w/ shield; runic talisman: RoSpellbreaking, RoFurnace

80: Master Engineer w/ Brace of pistols

355: 25 Longbeards w/ shields, full command

380: 25 Hammerers w/ full command

145: Cannon w/ RoForging

150: Cannon w/ RoForging, RoBurning

80: Gyrocopter

170: Organ Gun w/ RoAccuracy, RoForging

125: Organ Gun w/ RoBurning

Total: 2500

People say you can't build tank characters anymore due to losing re-rollable armor saves. My Lord is toughness 6, 1+/5++, and has 5 wounds. Sounds pretty tanky to me. You can also do toughness 10, 6 wounds, and a 1+ save (for all your magic item allowance). Tanks are still an option, they just don't survive on re-rolls anymore.

Master Rune of Grungni seems way too good to pass up. 4++ for the BSB is probably something you want anyway, and considering it's only 15 points more than a 4++ usually costs, giving 5++ against shooting and magic missiles to all units within 6" seems like a good investment. Both he and my Lord will hang out in the Hammerer block usually.

Runesmiths are sitting on a couple dispel scrolls and will hang out with my Longbeard blocks to give them AP. I usually like to run with great weapons but they make the Shieldwall (+1 parry save) special rule pointless, and Resolute (+1 str on charge) largely redundant. So shields it is. They'll usually hang a few inches back from my Hammerers and used to counter-charge.

A couple of nekkid 'copters to go and harass and melt chaff units.

Rune of Forging is really cool for cannons now. They get to re-roll the artillery die every time the misfire gets rolled, it's not bounce OR added distance as it was before. Nifty. Then I've got one Organ Gun with +1 to hit and re-rolling the misfire dice. The other organ gun will be getting essentially the same effects from the Engineer. Rolling to hit with OGs now is lame, but double the rate of fire and an extra 6" range is tasty.

Questions/criticisms?

I kind of agree. It helped compensate for the low BS of dwarves. We otherwise had nothing to threaten skirmishers and the like. I'm fine with the change since it's 2 artillery dice, and the only downside if you roll one misfire is -1 to hit. It doesn't truly misfire unless BOTH are misfires.

Without looking at the book, I have nothing to critique.  However, I will say that I am glad to see that you need to roll to hit with organ guns.  They were too OP without needing to roll to hit.

Cause 2 Artillery dice at +6" range, with the potential of getting a 4 BS and +1 to hit and a 1 in 36 chance of having to roll on the misfire table is much less powerful than a max of 10 auto hits :tongue:

I am pretty sure I like the new version better than the old... needing to roll does have it's downsides, but I think it is going to be potentially nastier now.

• Like 1

After some discusion and looking through the book (very quickly though), I would suggest a flame cannon.  That is a great opener for the gyros on units with regen.

The flame cannon appears to be back to what it was before the 8th edition Errata made it completely worthless... plus it gets runes now! This thing should be solid gold.

Cause 2 Artillery dice at +6" range, with the potential of getting a 4 BS and +1 to hit and a 1 in 36 chance of having to roll on the misfire table is much less powerful than a max of 10 auto hits :tongue:

I am pretty sure I like the new version better than the old... needing to roll does have it's downsides, but I think it is going to be potentially nastier now.

Yeah the new certainly has a much higher potential damage and is lower risk. You do pay dearly though so i'm alright with it.

@Mexicanninja, flame cannon looks good for sure but I've got 2 war machines with flames already so i'm feeling good on my Regen solutions. I might try it soon but I've never been a huge fan. I like everything shooting on turn 1 and it just doesn't bring it.

@Mexicanninja, flame cannon looks good for sure but I've got 2 war machines with flames already so i'm feeling good on my Regen solutions. I might try it soon but I've never been a huge fan. I like everything shooting on turn 1 and it just doesn't bring it.

I find(er found) the pre-8th edition (which is once again how it works) to be an awesome 1st turn machine. I'll need to reread the fire thrower rules in case I am forgetting something, but if you place it an your deployment line "guess" 12 inches and then roll a 2 you have 23 inches as your furthest point hit... just shy of the deployment zone! So a 4 is all you need to hit the opposing zone. For the flam cannon all you have to do is wound to cause a panic test so if your shot inst quite as great a hit it doesn't matter much, a first turn panic test is gold. and it actually can hit a unit on the line pretty nicely with a roll of 6-10 for extra death.

So after thinking about it, I don't think I can justify the cost of a second organ gun. If they could just take 55 points of Runes, I could take the 2 important ones on both and add fire to the second. But alas, the gun and the Engineer come to 205 points together and it just looks too chunky to me. So I'm gonna try this first (changes in red):

145: Thane (General) w/ runic axe: RoSpeed; shield, runic armor: 2x RoFortitude, RoIron

153: Thane w/ shield, BSB: MRoGrungni

138: Runesmith w/ Fiery Ring of Thori, shield; runic armor: RoStone; runic talisman: RoSpellbreaking, RoSafe Passage

93: Runesmith w/ shield; runic armor: RoStone, runic talisman: RoSpellbreaking

98: Runesmith w/ shield; runic armor: RoStone, runic talisman: RoSpellbreaking, RoFurnace

380: 25 Hammerers w/ full command

145: Cannon w/ RoForging

150: Cannon w/ RoForging, RoBurning

170: Organ Gun w/ RoAccuracy, RoForging

160: 10 Irondrakes w/ Musician

Total: 2500

I really want to try out the Irondrakes so I'll just proxy them for now. The way I'm envisioning it is to have the organ gun blowing up one flank, and have the Irondrakes advancing with the battle line on the other flank. I think their "damned if you charge, damned if you don't" style will put flanking units in some awkward positions.

*EDIT* After even further consideration, I've decided to scrap the Lord in favor of 2 heroes. Granted he looks cool up on his shield, and he's super resilient, and reliably killy, he doesn't seem all that necessary. His additional attacks are largely redundant in such a heavy-hitting unit, and his resilience is probably overkill. If he's ever in a situation that I need toughness 6, 1+/5++ and 5 wounds, he should probably be repositioning to avoid said threat and letting hamerers absorb the challenges.

Then there's the Thanes. They've got Ld 10 now (I checked all 3 stat entries to make sure it wasn't a typo) and otherwise pretty impressive stats in general, and dwarves have access to cheap wounds too. So my general is now toughness 6, 3+/5++, and 3 wounds. Not bad for a hero choice. Anything that won't hold up against, I'll pull some shenanigans.

With the difference in points I was able to buy a 3rd Runesmith. It was bugging me that my hammer block didn't have any magic defense as there are some pretty mean spells out there for killing dwarves en masse. With so many eggs in one basket, I couldn't leave myself exposed like that. So now I've got magic resistance 1 to help Grungni, and another dispel scroll. The best part about this change? Those 5 hero choices add up to EXACTLY 625 points (the cap for 2.5k)!

Gah! I can't stop tweaking lists! Next Tuesday needs to happen so I can stop theorizing and start rolling stones. Anyway, I decided my list had too much redundancy for dabbling with a new book. I figured I'd scrap it and grab a bunch of different units to see how they all perform. I'll fine tune it from there. So here's the new idea:

HEROES: 557

143: Thane (General) w/ Runic axe: RoSpeed; shield; runic armor: 2x RoFortitude, RoIron

188: Thane w/ Shield; Battle Standard: MRoGrungni, Strollaz' Rune

128: Runesmith w/ Shield; runic armor: RoStone; Fiery Ring of Thori; runic talsiman: Rune of Spellbreaking

98: Runesmith w/ Shield; runic armor: RoStone; runic talisman: Rune of Spellbreaking

CORE: 680

140: 10 Thunderers w/ Shields, musician

150: 10 Quarrelers w/ Great weapons, musician

390: 25 Longbeards w/ Shields, full command; Rune of Stoicism

SPECIAL: 930

455: 25 Hammerers w/ Shields, full command; Strollaz' Rune, Rune of Sanctuary

145: Cannon w/ Rune of Forging

150: Cannon w/ Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning

100: Gyrocopter w/ Vanguard

RARE: 330

170: Organ Gun w/ Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Forging

Total: 2497

Yeah, so a lot more variety of units than what I had previously. It's got more shooting, less combat power, but more combat mobility--which should hopefully make up for it. The idea is to be versatile, and switch up my tactics based on the list I'm facing. If I need to play defensively I can forgo my vanguards (or use them to slightly rearrange my line), put a runesmith in the quarrelers for some AP action, and attempt to blast the enemy into submission. Or, if I need to be aggressive, I'll have 50 stubborn dwarves and a gyrocopter vanguard up the board to save myself 2 turns of getting into position.

Yeah, I used to feel the same but I want to try it with the new rules. With armor piercing (from the Runesmith) their str 4 is actually a bit more impressive, and, if I'm really lucky, they'll have hatred too. Also, with shields they take advantage of both the +1 to parry when receiving a charge, and +1 str when initiating one; whereas great weapons can't use both.

But more than anything, I wanted to make sure I had one anvil block, and one hammer block and see how that goes. I can shift into double hammers or double anvils if one is getting results and the other is not.

I'm bummed they dropped the ball on Ironbreakers, because I'd really like to try their new rules as an anvil. They just don't fit in 2.5k.

Munkie, Dwarf Warriors are Str 3... are you thinking Longbeards?

As to the HW/shield Warriors, I have not put them on the table, but they certainly got better... same cast and either +1 S or +1 parry and possible hatred on the first round is good. The ability to easily add armor piercing and Magic resistance is a nice bonus too. I am not sure if point for point they are as good as longbeards but they will (barring terrible dice) out perform there previous incarnation certainly.

Oathstones are looking like a good option for them also... side charge? No problem!

I think Ironbreakers are looking much better than they have for a while. That 5+ all the time parry seems pretty nice. They are still a bit spendy and longbeards (with immune to psych and panic rerolls for others) are still probably better, but it seems to me like the gap has narrowed.

Basic Warriors are probably the one thing that I am disappointed with in the new book.  For 3 more points I can get so much more with the Long Beards.  That and the new Long Beard figs look so much better than the old warriors kit.  Shame GW didnt put a little bit more effort into this release like they did for the Dark Elves.

I like the newest version of your army it really has some serious damage output which can eliminate proper threats with those WM while some APACHE chaff units go to work helping the small arms get the most out of their ranged weapons, perfect. 

Id consider grouping up those thunderers with the xbows to one block of 20 that can possibly reform for some ranks. I feel like 3 blocks of 10 missile troops might be a little fragile at times. Thats just a thought, I would certainly test it out with they vision you have, but consider it if they fail you a few times.  

Munkie, Dwarf Warriors are Str 3... are you thinking Longbeards?

I think Ironbreakers are looking much better than they have for a while. That 5+ all the time parry seems pretty nice. They are still a bit spendy and longbeards (with immune to psych and panic rerolls for others) are still probably better, but it seems to me like the gap has narrowed.

Yeah, Brick's comment said warriors, but I don't have any warriors, only longbeards.

With regards to Ironbreakers, I think their rules are solid but their points cost is too much. They are eclipsed by hammerers and compete directly in terms of points and slot allocation (not that it's usually a problem for special choices). But by the time you get the far superior hammerers, a proper amount of war machines, and minimum core, there just isn't enough points to spare on another block of 20+ guys.

Id consider grouping up those thunderers with the xbows to one block of 20 that can possibly reform for some ranks. I feel like 3 blocks of 10 missile troops might be a little fragile at times. Thats just a thought, I would certainly test it out with they vision you have, but consider it if they fail you a few times.  

Oh trust me I've gone back and forth on it a few times. I was considering 20 xbows with full command. Put a runesmith in there for armor piercing quarrels and delight in the pin-cushioning of my foes. Ultimately, I decided I'd like to try a mix of both and a mix of shields and great weapons so I can see what impresses me and what doesn't. The list is very scatter brained right now and I'm sure it'll get more focused as I start getting some experience.

Thanks for the continued replies guys!

So I FINALLY got in a game with the New Dwarves and I had a blast! I got exactly what I asked for with this book. I wanted Dwarves to be situationally quick (one-use-onlies and the like for movement buffs), and have more unit synergy with their characters. And GW did both in spades. Anyway, I took the following list:

HEROES: 557

143: Thane (General) w/ Runic axe: RoSpeed; shield; runic armor: 2x RoFortitude, RoIron

188: Thane w/ Shield; Battle Standard: MRoGrungni, Strollaz' Rune

128: Runesmith w/ Shield; runic armor: RoStone; Fiery Ring of Thori; runic talsiman: Rune of Spellbreaking

98: Runesmith w/ Shield; runic armor: RoStone; runic talisman: Rune of Spellbreaking

CORE: 680

140: 10 Thunderers w/ Shields, musician

150: 10 Quarrelers w/ Great weapons, musician

405: 25 Longbeards w/ Shields, full command; 2x RoSlowness

SPECIAL: 930

440: 25 Hammerers w/ Shields, full command; Strollaz' Rune

145: Cannon w/ Rune of Forging

150: Cannon w/ Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning

100: Gyrocopter w/ Vanguard

RARE: 330

170: Organ Gun w/ Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Forging

Total: 2497

It's nearly identical to the list on the previous page but I swapped some banner runes around to get the Longbeards 2x Runes of Slowness instead of stubborn.

I played against Orcs in a pitched battle. He took roughly:

lvl 4 Shaman

lvl 2 Night Gobbo

Orc BSB with great weapon, T5, 2+/5++

40 Savages

20-25 Black Orcs

3 units of 5 wolf riders

3 wolf chariots

2 Mangler squigs

6 Trolls

2 Doom Divers

Rock Lobster

Arachnarok

I won't bore you with the blow-by-blow but instead give a unit analysis.

Thanes:

I built them both for all defense, no offense and got what I payed for. My general with T6, 3 wounds, 3+/5++ is a real beast to take down (especially for a hero choice!). He endured 4 combat phases with that Orc BSB and only took a wound. But it made me realize sometimes I'll be in fights where it's only a matter of time. I'm toying with a 1+/4++ and a great weapon to clobber my way out of grim circumstances. I'll probably run that next battle to see if I like it better.

Runesmiths:

Worth their weight in gold! The armor piercing was key in several situations and they were able to handle the magic phase pretty well. Some spells were cast but he couldn't cast as efficiently as he'd like since he knew I'd be packing more than one D-scroll. He threw a lot of dice at a lot of spells and got beat up a bit by miscasts.

Quarrellers/Thunderers:

Both did a great job and I loved their versatility. I deployed both of them on my right flank and shot up chariots, manglers, trolls, and wolf riders all game. And on the final turn of the game I charged both units into combat with glorious results. The thunderers charged the 3 remaining trolls in the rear, killed one and ran them down! The Quarrelers charged the Savage horde in the flank and chopped up the lvl 4 Shaman! That's 2 grudges settled.

Irondrakes:

Fun little unit but they need more test runs.The idea was to deploy them on my left flank, against the table edge, and walk forward while blasting. My opponent spent the first 2 turns carefully staying out of their range, so I just marched up to my battle line. But hey, if I'm shutting down the flanking moves of fast cav and an arachnarok for 2 turns, I call that a success. In the end, they managed to flank charge said fast cav in the flank who were in combat with a Hatredcopter. They buchered the wolf riders and put 2 wounds on the arachnarok as it charged them but were then gobbled up by it. Grudge recorded.

Warmachines:

Did what they do. With Rune of Forging now working for ANY misfires, the guns are incredibly reliable now, it's crazy. Turn 1, one of my cannons re-rolled both his added distance and his bounce distance and killed a mangler squig in the process. The other cannon took regen from the trolls who got all shot up afterwards. Chariots, doom divers, and wolf riders all fell before the guns and the arachnarok lost a chunk of wounds to a cannon. Unfortunately his counter-batteries were devastating! His stonethrower killed both a cannon and an my organ gun. When the cannon died, the other one failed a panic and hid for a turn. When the organ gun died, the quarrelers ran away (although that put them in position for that afore mentioned flank charge). 2 Grudges Recorded.

Gyrocopters:

Fan, flippin', tastic! When these things are in Hatred copter mode, they can do some damage. One gyrocopter sprayed only one wolf rider down so no panic check. Then he took 2 wounds from a doom diver. In my next turn, he nobly crashed his crippled copter into an oncoming mangler squig, instantly killing it. Grudge recorded against sneaky doom divers! The copter with the vanguard hung out near my infantry blocks. He baited a charge from some wolf riders, took it on the chin and set them up for the Irondrakes. Then he went on to charge and kill both the Stone thrower that had been terrorizing my artillery, and the doom diver that wounded the other gyrocopter! HATRED COPTER! That's both grudges against my artillery settled by one vengeful Dwarf and his flying machine.

Longbeards:

Dependable, and good in a battle of attrition. That Rune of Slowness is fantastic! I vanguarded them close enough to tempt charges on turn 1. Due to things arriving piecemeal, they were able to take a charge from a wolf rider and chop it to splinters, move onto some black orcs and grind them down for a few turns. Props for the black orcs for hanging on as long as they did though. After that they got rear charged by the big spider. The Runesmith really wanted to save his Fiery Ring for the savage orcs but it was down to him, the champion, and the banner left in the unit and the spider had one wound left. I rolled up 11 str 4, AP hits and torched the pest. Grudge Settled.

Hammerers:

I had these guys parked in woods for fun. They charged out and into the Black Orcs and pursued into the Savage Orcs with the BSB and general. I was not thrilled about this grind and when the arachnarok rear-charged my longbeards, I knew no help was coming. But they actually stuck it out pretty damn well. They lost the first round of combat due to choppas but won the second, cancelling frenzy. But on the final turn, he ran despite being steadfast with an Ld 8 BSB. I was happy with just being alive and having my quarrelers assassinate his general. But they took off and got run down. Grudge settled. All I had left of that unit was 2 hammerers, and 3 characters.

So I won, and rather convincingly, points-wise, but not so much in model count. Both of my combat blocks were down to 2 models plus characters, I had 4 quarrelers, and about 6 thunderers left. And one wounded gyrocopter and one cannon as well. It's times like these that I wish half-dead units counted as half VPs still. It doesn't feel right that I was 2 models away from huge 400+ point swings, but oh well.

There wasn't much in my list that I feel I need to change but I think I will try out a new Thane build in the next battle.

Thanks for reading!

I got in my weekly game last night against DE in a pitched battle.

He had:

Lvl 4 sorceress (Shadow) on peggy

BSB on foot with stubborn crown

3 units of Dark Riders

2 units of 12ish dark sharts

9 cold one knights

28 executioners (with BSB)

5 doomfire warlocks

hydra

3 bolt throwers

2 units of 5 shades

I rolled up the army-wide hatred. Nice!

My opponent got the first turn which I really did not want. He had 2 units of dark riders, his warlocks, and 2 units of shades, all surrounding a building with my thunderers in it and a gyrocopter behind on my left flank. If I had gone first, my gyrocopter could've made a turn 1 charge against some shades and my thunderers could've crippled or removed one unit of fast cav. Instead, my gyrocopter got killed between magic and one unit of shades. The rest of the shooting went into my thunderers but with so many minuses and dwarven durability, he failed to cause a single wound. But, they panicked from the death of the gyrocopter, and ran out of the building and off the board. That left 10 quarrelers between all that and my war machines on a hill in my center. Yikes, not a great way to start the game. Otherwise, he moved all of his combat elements forward pretty aggressively. The rest of his shooting mostly just bounced off their targets (he kept firing the 6 bolts at my other gyro, instead of the single shot for some reason...).

My turn 1 was a mixed bag. My Irondrakes killed 4 dark riders, and one cannon one-shot-killed his hydra, but the other one overshot his bolt thrower, and my organ gun only managed to kill a single cold one knight with 16 shots! Not bad.

Turn 2 is where it all changed. His Cold Ones were 11" from my Longbeards--basically a sure thing with m 7 and swiftstride, but 2x Rune of Slowness is insane! He failed by an inch and meandered right into the charge range of hammerers and longbeards. his flanking force moved up and shot mostly at my warmachines, to little avail. He threw 6 dice at Pit of Shades which landed an irresistable direct hit on my longbeards. 13 dwarves perished.

On my turn 2, the 2 combat blocks charged the cold one knights and were utterly butchered. Str 7 attacks with AP!?! No armor save for those heavy cav! Both units had to overrun, the few remaining Longbeards with my BSB and one runesmith were facing a building with some dark sharts inside, and my hammerers overran into the 28 executioners with BSB. My gyrocopter charged and killed one bolt thrower (2 str 5 attacks with hatred is awesome!), and a cannon killed another one. The quarrelers swift-reformed into a long line to block any charges from the cav on the war machines. The organ gun tried to erase a unit of dark riders to force panic checks on the 3 surrounding units but rolled one misfire and only managed to kill 3.

On his turn 3, he tried to pepper down my quarrelers but between 7 dark riders and 10 shades (none of whom moved), he only managed to kill 4. Pretty garbage rolling mostly. His dark shards in the building killed a couple more longbeards and the other unit and remaining bolt thrower managed to do nothing to my gyrocopter. The executioners and hammerers ground away at one another but with hatred and an extra attack, the hammerers were doing it faster. Fiery Ring of Thori only landed 4 hits so that wasn't so much of a factor.

We didn't really play out my last turn because the game was pretty much over. My quarrelers were going to charge and kill some shades, my longbeards were going to charge and kill some dark shards, and my gyrocopter was going to steam some other dark shards. The only thing we did do was roll the hammerer combat for the fun of it. He didn't break but he probably wouldn't last another round of combat.

So yeah, still really liking the new Dwarf book. Vanguarding those 2 combat blocks up really accelerates the game and totally throws a wrench in the opponent's original game plan it seems. They usually have an idea of how their opening turns will go, but then all of sudden they've got turn 1 charge opportunities and they're not really sure what to do. Then the Runes of Slowness can really punish them for meeting aggression with aggression. Fun stuff.

And, man, Dwarves with hatred on the charge are just ridiculous. Especially against squishy elves too. I was wounding on 2s and allowing no saves for almost every attack I swung in close combat. Dwarves are still tough to grind down, but now they can really sucker punch you if you're not ready.

BONUS: Here's my gyrocopter conversion (sorry it's a tad blurry. Phone camera):

2014-03-06013925.jpg

Pretty simple conversion. Just moved the smaller blade from the top of the tail, over to the side like a more conventional helicoper (you can see the little green cap piece where the propeller should go). I kept the tail to just the framework and removed all the bombs, then put one of the turbines underneath the tail.

Here's a better angle for the tail rotor:

2014-03-06015424.jpg

The regular model has the both rotors angled slightly forward, but that wouldn't work here, because the blades would scrape the tail. So I had to clip the support bars a bit to get the rotor to sit (roughly) parallel with the tail section.

And lastly, I didn't think the exhaust port they gave it was quite steam punk enough--not nearly as impractical or audacious as it ought to be. So I instead attached the end of the horn from some dwarf musician sprue or another (if you don't know which grey bit to be looking for, it's the big disc shape where the tail meets the body):

2014-03-06015339.jpg