New 40k edition

pretre

Well looks like salvo weapons are gone, which is ok for me since most of the salvo weapons you saw on the table were grav. Also, I wonder if they will have a rule where you can only charge in the assault phase if you haven't used a heavy, rapid fire, etc. ranged weapon, since being able to rapid fire a unit and then charge them is kinda nuts. Would make sense that you can only charge if you shoot with assault weapons in the shooting phase, like now.  

5 hours ago, SigurdBC said:

Well looks like salvo weapons are gone, which is ok for me since most of the salvo weapons you saw on the table were grav. Also, I wonder if they will have a rule where you can only charge in the assault phase if you haven't used a heavy, rapid fire, etc. ranged weapon, since being able to rapid fire a unit and then charge them is kinda nuts. Would make sense that you can only charge if you shoot with assault weapons in the shooting phase, like now.  

Yeah, it looks like Salvo just got folded into Rapid Fire X, which is way better for all the ones that can't be taken on something Relentless, and actually works the way the fluff described Salvo Weapons as operating.

The only restrictions I can see on Charging are that you can't with a Unit that Advanced or Fell Back, or is already Locked in Combat. Looks like you can, in fact, walk up with some Devs, fire a bunch of Heavy Bolters into people, and then Charge them.

What was that!?|

Something moving in the shadows…  Phew, it’s only Reece from the SoCal Open, back to tell us about the insidious Genestealer Cults in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, available to pre-order on June 3rd:

40kFFCultsBanner.jpg

From the shadows, the Genestealer Cults come to sow dissent and distrust. They undermine the foundations of the Imperium from within to prepare the way for the Great Devourer.

40kFFCultsStealers.jpg

Genestealer Cults are both a new and old faction. They’ve got their roots way back in the mists of Warhammer 40,000 history but have recently made their triumphant return to the game. Genestealer Cults were largely defined in their play style through their very cool and characterful Cult Ambush special rule. That is still true in the new Warhammer 40,000 as well. Cult Ambush allows you to place Genestealer Cults units into reserves and then enter the game through a variety of means determined by a D6 chart. These range in effect from coming on to a table edge to being able to appear anywhere on the table more than 9” away from any enemy units but being able to move as well, allowing you to get extremely close to enemy units to shoot and then charge them as well. For units like Genestealers or Aberrants armed with power picks and rending claws, this can be punishing!

40kFFCultsProfile.jpg

Speaking of Genestealers, if you thought they were deadly in the Tyranid army, they are even more flexible with Genestealer Cults due to the Cult Ambush rule as stated above. Combined with the Patriarch, they hit just as hard as the Broodlord and Genestealers do with Tyranids, but with Genestealer Cults, the Patriarch also allows nearby units to ignore morale, and he benefits from the Unquestioning Loyalty special rule which all Genestealer Cults Characters posses. This allows them to avoid taking a wound on a 4+ as a minion sacrifices its life and jumps in front of the attack. This makes these Characters extremely durable and even helps them survive things like Sniper fire.

40kFFCultsMagus.jpg

Another nasty trick the Genestealer Cults have is their Mass Hypnosis psychic power, which prevents an enemy unit from firing Overwatch, makes them strike last in combat (even if they charged) AND gives them -1 to hit. Ouch! That leaves an enemy unit in a very compromised position as the minions of the Four-armed Emperor emerge from ambush and then run them through in melee.

One of my favourite aspects of the Genestealer Cults, though, is their ability to form their army using both their own faction, Tyranids and Astra Militarum, too. Huzzah! Due to the way that allies worked in the previous edition, making an army that mixed Genestealer Cult units and Astra Militarum wasn’t always straightforward. These are, of course, not “real” Astra Militarum, but devoted followers of the Cult who have turned from the Emperor’s light and betrayed their fellow man. The way it works in the new Warhammer 40,000 is really fun. You can take one Astra Militarum Detachment for each Genestealer Cults Detachment in your Battle-forged army. They each need to be entirely comprised of units with their respective keyword, but this allows incredible amounts of diversity in your army that is also quite characterful.

40kFFCultsLemanRuss.jpg

But you won’t always need to sneak into the Imperial motor pool to hijack their vehicles; the Genestealer Cults have access to some fantastic mechanised war machines of their own. The Goliath Rockgrinder is one of my favourites.

40kFFCultsGoliath.jpg

For armament, I prefer the Clearance Incinerator, as it automatically hits its target D6 times up to 12” out and, of course, you have to take the Cache of Demolition Charges! While you can only fire this weapon if a unit is embarked upon it (as they need to chuck them out!) and it is short ranged at 6”, boy does it pack a punch! D6 shots, Strength 8, AP -3 and D3 damage per hit. That’s no joke. If anything survives that, you can ram them with the Drilldozer in melee for a possible 6+D3 Strength 8 attacks with an AP of -2 and D3 damage per hit.

While there is loads more to cover, we are out of time for today. Genestealer Cults have a unique playstyle in the new Warhammer 40,000 that will be both fun for the general commanding the army and tactically challenging for the player on the other side of the table.

• Like 3

Hmm... no need to model those Acolytes in Power Armor with Plasma rifles any more.

It looks like when fired on Supercharged (the new Gets Hot) the model is slain on the to-hit roll of a one. According to the leaked rules, the only time the word slain gets mentioned is after all saves have failed and wounds are reduced to zero and the model is removed.

Roll a Supercharged one with a Plasma Pistol = firing model is slain.
Roll a one with Plasma Gun or Plasma Incinerator on Supercharged = resolve all shots (due to Rapid Fire, presumably) and then you're slain.

No armor save, FNP equivalents or the like, just slain.

(assuming I'm interpreting it correctly, that is...)

Nice.

GsC write-up makes me think 3 detachments will be pretty standard for tourney scene. 2k and 3 detachment limit. I'd like to see no limits, but that is a lot for some people to take in. 

Also 6 wound Captain Generic puts the Super Heavy that much more into perspective. Maybe this edition will get events such as Elvensword to go Dr Strangelove on these elements. To that same point, I'm hoping we get all events to allow the 3 fortification detachment, ya know, the only way to get forts in your list now. The exclusion of networks has kept me from buying any. Acceptance by the community would change that. Or building a table in the garage again. Cuz nothing like epic home games.

1 minute ago, Frowbakk said:

Hmm... no need to model those Acolytes in Power Armor with Plasma rifles any more.

It looks like when fired on Supercharged (the new Gets Hot) the model is slain on the to-hit roll of a one. According to the leaked rules, the only time the word slain gets mentioned is after all saves have failed and wounds are reduced to zero and the model is removed.

Roll a one with Plasma Gun or Plasma Incinerator on Supercharged = resolve all shots (due to Rapid Fire, presumably) and then you're slain.

Nice.

Good thing you have Captain Tough to encourage you to shoot better.

4 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

GsC write-up makes me think 3 detachments will be pretty standard for tourney scene. 2k and 3 detachment limit. I'd like to see no limits, but that is a lot for some people to take in. 

Also 6 wound Captain Generic puts the Super Heavy that much more into perspective. Maybe this edition will get events such as Elvensword to go Dr Strangelove on these elements. To that same point, I'm hoping we get all events to allow the 3 fortification detachment, ya know, the only way to get forts in your list now. The exclusion of networks has kept me from buying any. Acceptance by the community would change that. Or building a table in the garage again. Cuz nothing like epic home games.

No longer any worries about how to get that Haemotrope Reactor in-between your Plasma Obliterator and Void Shield Generator either.

Why just have one Fortification when you can build three at a much higher price?

Edited by Frowbakk
Department of Redundancy Department

1 hour ago, Frowbakk said:

Nice.

Just don't fire it super charged. But it does save having to pay for power armor since they are perfectly safe if you fire the normal shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frowbakk said:

Nice.

Yup,,in this ruleset,,slain=dead no saves.

Have to see how Dangerous terrain works because it very well could be the same thing,,excepting vehicles and behemoths I assume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

My bet is on no need at all to restrict anything in competative play,,im sure they took that into account in testing.We have yet to see anything but a snippet of point values.Im sure fortifications have points that make them balanced and useful":)

Deathgaurd are looking VERY powerful mainly due to their disgusting resiliance ability.The wording on that stating that "each time this model looses a wound",,as in takes a point of damage,they get a 5+ vs it.These kinds of things are rediculously powerful,especially when a large group has this kind of thing(Poxwalkers in this case).This ability alone has kept the Death faction on the top tables in competative AoS,,and Death has not had any updates for AoS as yet.

In this ruleset,you get to take all saves available for a unit(unless they have stated otherwise already) That means getting an extra save from a spell,mortal wound save of in this case a damage save.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Threejacks said:

In this ruleset,you get to take all saves available for a unit(unless they have stated otherwise already) That means getting an extra save from a spell,mortal wound save of in this case a damage save.

It specifies that you have to choose between Armour and Invul Saves, but everything else seems to stack.

• Like 2