Building Challenge: Dwarf Lord

So I have been looking at Dwarf lord builds and just wondering how crazy you can get. So everyone, build the biggest badest dwarf lord you can with the new book and post him here for all to see!

Here is my go:

Dwarf Lord      145

Sheildbearers      40

Great Weapon, Pistol, Shield       15

Rune of Warding x3  (4+ Ward)      45

Rune of Fortitude (+1`T)       35

Rune of Iron x2 (+1 W, +1 T)   45

325 points total

Derk- I think you hit the nail on the head for good builds, Tough. Just killy enough, just "cheap" enough to also get a kitted rune lord.if your going with an expensive brick that is definitely awesome. But I still prefer a cheapo thane on shield with GW or flaming hand weapon/shield to be a simple LD battery.

Your build is much better at grinding for repeated turns.

Do Demon Slayers count? This looks like fun:

205: Demonslayer w/ Runic Axe: Master Rune of Flight (yes, slayers can take this now), Rune of Might, Rune of Fire

He's pretty cheap and he throws a str 8 axe at monsters that hits on a 2+, does D3 wounds, ignores regen, and they must re-roll successful ward saves. Fun little tomahawk. Put him in a slayer block with Strollaz' and go zap something turn 1.

Derk- I think you hit the nail on the head for good builds, Tough. Just killy enough, just "cheap" enough to also get a kitted rune lord.if your going with an expensive brick that is definitely awesome. But I still prefer a cheapo thane on shield with GW or flaming hand weapon/shield to be a simple LD battery.

Your build is much better at grinding for repeated turns.

I might be wrong, but with Max points in Runes this build is about the most expensive you can go (other than replacing the GW for a xbow/handgun but that doesn't get you anywhere in effectiveness.

Also, I would totally put thanes on shields, all day long, every day... but that is cheating as they do not have that option.

Do Demon Slayers count? This looks like fun:

Sure, why not. I was focusing on the Dwarf Lord, but who cares, really it's just about having fun with builds.

Lord on ShieldBearers. 3 Runes of Warding, a Great Weapon,  pistol, and a Rune of Stone. 241

This is basically the discount version, which is both awesome and field-able (and what I have been going for in my builds). Now RD, step it up an notch, spend that extra rune allowance and show us something completely badass! (Not necessarily what your put on the table here, just showing off builds!)

• 1 month later...

Finally got to look at the Dwarf book, oh my Goodness, why aren't you guys salivating all over the Magnificent Armor and Fiery Ring??!!

Here's my build,  unless I've misremembered from looking it over:

Lord, Great Weapon, Shieldbearers

Magnificent Armor of Whateverhisnameis
Fiery Ring of Thatotherguy

1+ AS/3+ Ward vs. anything dangerous (except KB); 5 wounds; 4 S6 attacks, 2 S4 attacks, and 2d6 S4 breath weapon hits into his first important CC.  Holy smokes.

Well, yeah, but avoiding him is a problem all Dwarf Lords face.  But the 1+ AS and 3+ Ward combo is mathematically like twice the wounds of a 2+ AS 4+ Ward.  The T7 is very nice due to the prevalence of S6, but there's no replacing that 3+ Ward.

But shoot the big Wounds high Toughness guy is damn solid too!  Can't go too wrong there :)

My brother's current build (which we co-created) runs 2 Lords, each with a Runesmith in a unit of IBs with Slowness rune (also SICK).  Backed up a unit of GW Longbeards with the BSB, they present a front that is a damn difficult to break through, and you kinda need to with those runed-up war machines raining on you from the back.  A few small sacrificial units of missile troops and miners, and I think he's got a lot of ways to force you to fight his Lords' units!  Great army list I think, and would be even better if he would quit hating Gyrocopters ;)

@Iraf: I love monster killer character builds, too.  Seems properly heroic and cinematic and all that :)

@MN:  I hear ya on evasive players trying to leave the Dwarf Lords out of the game.  I think part of the trick to many Dwarf army builds is (and has always been) devising a way to bring your army's points to bear without getting taken on piecemeal.  If they are trying to avoid the Lord units altogether, that's probably okay, because there are two of them and together they can threaten most of the important areas of the table... pretty hard to approach my war machines without going through the IBs (and thus the Lords).  But if they do engage the unit, that 1+/3+ guy is able to neutralize or kill most any threatening model, and 60 points for that armor isn't really all that much... most of the builds being cited are more than that.  I actually have the two Lords sharing those awesome heirlooms; one has Shieldbearers and the Armor, and the other has Iron, an Oathstone (his unit holds the exposed flank) and the Ring.

@NtK, well, if you're playing the traditional gunline, then yes, I could see your build working.  It's easier for him to bounce to and from units.

I still don't really understand your argument… the Lord you quoted with T7 and a 4+ Ward is 65 points *more* than the Magnificent Armor (assuming you're talking Shieldbearers, Fortitude + 2xIron armor, and 3x Warding talisman).  So avoiding that guy is *more* effective than avoid the Mag Armor guy… so, I'm confused what you're getting at :)

Anyway doesn't matter that much but if you feel like explaining I'm curious!

Happy Easter!

Nathan

PS: the army we've been playing definitely isn't a "gunline" by most definitions (I don't think!), it's 3 war machines (cannon, organ gun, grudge thrower) plus 2 10-man shooting units (quarellers and thunderers)… the idea is ust enough shooting to hopefully keep people from totally avoiding his army and shooting/magicking him for 6 turns :)

I still don't really understand your argument… the Lord you quoted with T7 and a 4+ Ward is 65 points *more* than the Magnificent Armor (assuming you're talking Shieldbearers, Fortitude + 2xIron armor, and 3x Warding talisman).  So avoiding that guy is *more* effective than avoid the Mag Armor guy… so, I'm confused what you're getting at :)

Anyway doesn't matter that much but if you feel like explaining I'm curious!

Happy Easter!

Nathan

It's not really an arguement.  I was just saying that the T7 and 4+ ward save will always be in effect, whereas the magnificent armour is a situational item.  What that means is that the lord with T7 and the 4+ ward will get his benefits when fighting models with S1-S10 and that the lord with magnificent is relying on high strength opponents for that ward to kick into play.  That's all I was really saying.

Both of the lords are avoided the same.

However, I will say, I think dwarf lords are a waste of points (I will only use them for OFCC) and you could put a ton more bodies on the table or get 2-3 more war machines for the cost of a kitted out lord.

Oh okay!  Gotcha.

Yes, I agree Dwarf Lords aren't terribly effective… but if I were building a list to be as tough as possible (i.e. not wasting any points) I would probably have a min/max list of some sort with nothing but the most effective models for a given strategy.  That's no fun!

You don't have to min/max to get a tough as nails list.

However, I do believe that the ring you have on your build is the best heirloom option.

So with all Nathan's fuss over the Magnificent armour, I thought I would have a re-look at it. Actually that armor is a tad bit better than it appears at first glace. While Mr. Ninja is correct that it is some what situational, unlike most magical 2+ save items it does not stipulate "may not be improved". This of course means that it can be taken to a 1+ save with the addition of a shield or shieldbearers! (can't go to 0+ anymore :sad:  ).

So, to sum up, with the bonus to save, you have 2+ roll against up to S4, and 3+ vs S5, while the 3+ ward kicks in at S6. That is fairly impressive actually, and while it is not the best protection you can get, it will see you through most situations (especially with the 5 wounds from Shield bearers). (It will get a bit worse with S4 Armor piercing however)

Anyway, I say good find Nathan, Dwarf Lords on a budget everywhere will be thanking you!