OFCC Army challenge thread.

This thread is to challenge people to make out of the box, competitive armies for OFCC.

Feel free to add any challenges, or take up the mantle on any challenge.

Dwarves

No warmachine

No gyros or bombers

No hammerers

Warriors of chaos

No Demon prince

No skull crushers

Bonus Challenge : take forsaken

Demons

No Greater demons

No skull cannon

No beasts of nurgle

Dark elves

No cauldron

No warlocks

Bonus Challenge: take medusa

High elves

No hoeth book

No white lions

No banner of world dragon

No phoenix

Lizards

No slann

No ancient stegadons

Bonus Challenge: take a troglodon

Beasts

No herdstone

No doombull

Bonus Challenge: take jabberwock

Vamps

No vamp lord

No red fury

Bonus Challenge: take coven throne

Ogres

No ironblasters

No ironguts

No mournfang

Bonus Challenge take yhtees

Orcs and goblins

No savage orcs

No doom divers

No manglers

No fanatics

Bonus Challenge: bring boar boyz

Empire

No units with 2+ saves or better

No warmachines

No warrior priests

Bonus Challenge: bring a unit of free company 25+

Brettonia

No Trebuchets

No Pegasus knights

Bonus Challenge: bring mounted yeoman

Wood elves& TK

Isn't this a big enough challenge.?

Etc.

• Like 1

For the Dark Elves I can do it except for the No fast cav. Dark Elves with no chaff isn't just thinking out of the box it's something you just don't ask armies to do. But limiting it to one or the other option and I might go for it.

I like building lists out of the box, but not having chaff takes away the movement phase and forces one to take multible Heros on Dark Pegasus or Dark Steeds. And that my friend is even worse.

For the Dark Elves I can do it except for the No fast cav. Dark Elves with no chaff isn't just thinking out of the box it's something you just don't ask armies to do. But limiting it to one or the other option and I might go for it.

I like building lists out of the box, but not having chaff takes away the movement phase and forces one to take multible Heros on Dark Pegasus or Dark Steeds. And that my friend is even worse.

Murphy.  Here's some advice.  Witches in units of 15 make great chaff.  You don't need dark riders, I just don't like witch elves.  Here you go:

Units of 15 witches, some darkshards.  A unit of 50 executioners, 4 RBT's, 3 hydra's...dreadlord kitted for combat on PD, supreme sorc level 4 w/dark magic and CoT on DP.  Master with 1+RR BSB and 2 master with 1+ AS, great weapons, one with ring of hotek, other with iron curse icon in executioners, and you take 2-3 medusa for killing cav.  There you have it hero, challenge met!

Honestly I could go for a more shooty list and lay down a larger unit of Dark Shards in the middle with RBTs on each side. On the side of them I will have my CoC and CoK with BSB on one flank and my Bloodwrack Shrine, Hydras and black gaurd on the other.

Throw in some Witch Darts and two Sorceresses and it will get ugly.

Throw out lots of shoots forcing my opponent to deal with the shooting but there will be no flanking them. They will have to come striaght in. If they ignore the shooting elements and go for a flank I swing my sides in for a pincer move and have line of fire the whole time.

Rough idea but with some tweeking it could work.

The items listed for DE are the most common but by no means the only competitive units.

It seems to me, like we got out of our thinking box, and have gotten into a smaller box with less elbow room... and now we are thinking in that box, and our primary thought is "Why did I get in this smaller box? This Stinks.".

Well unless you have two 'fun' players both agreeing to bring 'different' lists you are going to have players trying to bring competitive lists.

I myself already try not to bring the most powerhouse list while being competitve, so my box is pretty big to begin with. (Don't play witch elves, CoB, Hydras or double Warlocks.) And most army books are not one dimensional and have many playable options.

As long as you don't ask players to lose a game phase, like asking a DE player to bring no magic, it is not unreasonable. And no one has to do it. I mean I will most likely not follow this for OFCC becuase I feel the ranking system in place should balance things already and I limit myself already. But it is still a fun mental exercise.

Yeah, I don't think many people will take this list to heart but I think it does serve as a good guide to recognize what people dislike about playing your army so you can limit yourself accordingly.

Will my dwarf army stick to those rules? No, in fact I'll have all of those things. But I can gather that limiting my war machines and gyros will probably lead to a more enjoyable game. Likewise, I'll limit myself to one hammerer block. But no war machines and no hammerers would mean I'll at some point have a game where I sit there and watch my opponent's monsters thunderstomp my army to death. And that doesn't seem like a recipe for a good game either.

I actually know very little about skaven in this edition. I didn't feel comfortable commenting on them.

To all the.negative nancies who don't like this thread, it was just meant to be for fun, start a thought exercise , and maybe a bit of discussion

I like that people are willing to look at their lists in context of "why am I taking this and can I put my own spin/creativity on the list"

Ok, I played Skaven from the release of their current book until about last November.  There is no accurate way to say, "don't take this".  If you ban the bell, you can just get 2 grey seer's in 2 different slave bunkers.  If you ban the furnace then you probably just won't see monks.  You ban the abom and then you see more doomwheel's.  The same is the with plagueclaw catapults and warp lightning cannons.  Plus, you can't take away the units of 50 rats spam.  Skaven really have no limits.  You tell them not to take 1 unit and then you see 5-6 hordes.  50+ units of rats aren't expensive (pointswise).  The problem is then that you are forcing someone to spend a ton of money and time purchasing and painting units of rats.