First Plastic Sister

pretre

Sat 12.30pm – Live Blog 5: A Plastic Sister of Battle!

At the AdeptiCon Studio Seminar, we revealed that Sisters of Battle are on their way. We promised you we’d keep you updated and take you on this army’s journey from design to release. Now, as promised, we can finally show you just what the new generation of Adepta Sororitas is going to look like:

WHfestLiveBlog-Post12-30-SororitasMain1c

The classic gothic design of the Sisters of Battle is, to be frank, awesome, and with the new range, the design studio hasn’t been trying to change that – instead, we’ve gone back to the original art and looked at how we can truly bring it to life using cutting edge design technology. The first model of the new generation of Sisters of Battle is based – almost detail-for-detail – on some of the most iconic Sisters of Battle art ever made, and you can expect the rest of the army to follow the classic design cues you know and love.

WHfestLiveBlog-Post12-30-SororitasCompar

We’ve pushed our designers to the limit with these new models, and this first Battle Sister is the perfect example of that – she’s got everything from ragged purity seals, rosaries and charms, to precise mechanical details on the bolter and power armour that has been lavishly realised. The scenic base alone is an awesome piece in its own right. We think it’s safe to say that if you’re a Sororitas fan, the wait has been well worth it.

WHfestLiveBlog-Post12-30-SororitasDetail

This Battle Sister will be the first you’ll be able to get your hands on, a special preview release ahead of the main wave to make the wait a little bit more bearable. We can’t say when just yet, but stay tuned to Warhammer Community to find out as soon as we have a date. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2018 at 1:03 PM, Treads-n-Wings said:

Glorious.  I appreciate it that they're using the old artwork for their design cues.

Eh, there can be a problem when the design is rooted in satire and that same satire has become more literal in the modern day. You shouldn't have the SoB in fetish gear and remove the satirical approach to the Imperium the game was founded in. 

I think we see this understanding in the removal of the heels although I wish the corset had been redesigned slightly to showcase this as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frowbakk said:

Eh.

Static pose is static.

Left armpit purity seal makes the torso seem too blocky.

Might not buy this one, just like I didn't buy the Codex cover inspired model either.

well a little creative knifework might make it all okay.  I'd seen your work on conversions and its pretty awesome.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:58 AM, pretre said:

We think it’s safe to say that if you’re a Sororitas fan, the wait has been well worth it..

So while I think the model is nice, it's not "worth the wait." Looks AS GOOD as the metal sisters, but in plastic, which would have been worth the wait in 5th edition. They really need to go above and beyond if they think waiting 4 editions should result in plastics only AS GOOD as the metal models they had before.

EDIT: quote is warhammer community, not pretre, but when I snipped it from the overall quote, looks like pretre is saying it, which is probably not his stance. Sorry pretre.

Calling that model only as good as the existing metals is more than a little hyperbolic, but I do agree that it's also not "worth the wait." It's demonstrates solid execution with some small design alterations, but it's also not really showing off what GW can do. A static-posed model with only minor design alterations does not make up for a 20+ year wait.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kremmet said:

Calling that model only as good as the existing metals is more than a little hyperbolic, but I do agree that it's also not "worth the wait." It's demonstrates solid execution with some small design alterations, but it's also not really showing off what GW can do. A static-posed model with only minor design alterations does not make up for a 20+ year wait.

Well, maybe I understated it. I think the current metals are quite impressive models. So saying "as good" still remains the fact that as plastic or metal, the models are quite impressive. It's the time gap between the metal and plastic that makes the plastic rather unimpressive and downright insulting for GW to suggest they are "worth the wait."

12 hours ago, paxmiles said:

It's the time gap between the metal and plastic that makes the plastic rather unimpressive and downright insulting for GW to suggest they are "worth the wait."

That's a ridiculous metric to judge them off of. If the new plastic sisters give out free puppies and cookies, assemble and paint themselves and solve world hunger, people will still say that it wasn't worth the wait because the wait was so long.

Also, it wasn't 20+ years. We had new models with C:WH.

• Like 2

Just now, Kremmet said:

It was in reply to Pax talking about how it wasn't any better than the metals. Chill.

Believe it or not, I can read the previous posts and infer context from that.

Here's the part where you're responding to pax's statements about quality: Calling that model only as good as the existing metals is more than a little hyperbolic, but I do agree that it's also not "worth the wait."

Here's the part where you expand on the fact that it is 'not worth the wait': It's demonstrates solid execution with some small design alterations, but it's also not really showing off what GW can do.

Here's the part where you summed up that expansion: A static-posed model with only minor design alterations does not make up for a 20+ year wait.

I responded to the last part. :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pretre said:

That's a ridiculous metric to judge them off of. If the new plastic sisters give out free puppies and cookies, assemble and paint themselves and solve world hunger, people will still say that it wasn't worth the wait because the wait was so long.

Also, it wasn't 20+ years. We had new models with C:WH.

Well, I said since 4th the first time. The other guy said 20+ and I adopted it. But it wouldn't surprise me if we haven't had new sisters since 1998, which is 20 yrs...

Just now, paxmiles said:

Well, I said since 4th the first time. The other guy said 20+ and I adopted it. But it wouldn't surprise me if we haven't had new sisters since 1998, which is 20 yrs...

Yeah, sorry, I meant that as a response to him on the 20+ years. We got a number of new sculpts in 2002-2003 with the C:WH codex.

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Also, the first model is very specifically designed after a piece of art. Thus the pose was not determined by the sculptors, but instead the painter. So why would you even complain about it? Its like if they made model after the Mona Lisa, you'd be complaining that her smile is not dynamic enough.

Objection is to the arrogant comment that the wait was worthwhile. I'm not really complaining about the model.