Beware of Cougars

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/05/1_dead_1_injured_in_washington.html

Just a heads up, happened in North Bend, Oregon. Seems to be very little info on this one, cougars attacked some cyclists, perhaps the bicyclists had it coming or the cougars are otherwise innocent, but still worth being aware of the potential danger when planning hikes, bike rides, or camping trips.

Apparently Oregon has something like 6,000+ wild cougars, which given our 2017 population of 4.143 million people means there's a cougar for every 690 people. Sightings and Cougar attacks are alleged very few, though I've a neighbor that's convinced our state is suppressing the information to encourage tourism - no clue where he's getting that from.

From the above like, a useful quote:

What to do if you come across a cougar
- Cougars often will retreat if given the opportunity. Leave the animal a way to escape.
- Stay calm and stand your ground.
- Maintain direct eye contact.
- Pick up children, but do so without bending down or turning your back on the cougar.
- Back away slowly.
- Do not run. Running triggers a chase response in cougars, which could lead to an attack.
- Raise your voice and speak firmly.
- If the cougar seems aggressive, raise your arms to make yourself look larger and clap your hands.
- If in the very unusual event that a cougar attacks you, fight back with rocks, sticks, tools or any items available.
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

3 hours ago, Burk said:

Thread did not deliver as expected......

I did consider that when posting, to include something in the title, but I couldn't think of a way to describe it that didn't become some dirty joke. Even "Beware of Cougars (the Wildlife)" seems like we'd still have people, like Burk, confused.

And for the record regarding women Cougars, I don't think they count as Cougars if you are of equal age or greater. Cougars is more a term to refer to older [than yourself] women.

4 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I was expecting hot women, cuz mountain lions are common as hippies.

But I may be over exposed living in Central Oregon and Southern Oregon (to hippies and wildlife).

I mean, I see deer, elk, mt lions, and coyote on the regular, and I'm NOT a hunter. 

So hot women are the rarity?  Now I am sorry for you.

• Haha 2

1. Fuskies!!!
  2. Mountain Lions or Cougars or (insert one of their many names) are easily scared by eye contact or making yourself HUGE...

Grab sticks and branches and get real loud. If you're in their territory, wear a mask on the back of your head, they hate being seen, but aren't smart enough to realize that mask isn't a real face...

Majestic creatures when observed at a distance.
(Stupendous when up close and personal)