Terrain... Terrain... Oh what to do about you

Lyraeus

So I have a thing with current terrain in 99% of places. This especially hits GW terrain as it ANNOYS ME TO NO END!!! 

8th edition is an edition where if you don't have good terrain (a solid Los Blocking pieces in the center, some nice corner pieces to move around, etc) it makes the game just a giant shooting gallery which has stopped me from playing armies like Tau (not because I go WAAC but I like to think I am a smidgen over decent in capability as a player... Ego alert ;P) 

Now thanks to Wargames Tournament I have fun terrain! Terrain I think is solid for 8th edition! Oh and maybe some industrial walkways and such that are modular enough for many other games. 

Having said all this... 

So the terrain I am working on is missing the last stage (which is panels) but wonder if this is a good amount of terrain?

I still have another tall tower, a junk house and a junk bunker, but thoughts? The whole thing is modular so the gate can be a center piece easily and the sides can move. Also all those front pieces are barricades which I know are not great but they are ok.

First pic is of the tower with panels on to give the idea of how it will look

20190127_220507.jpg

20190127_220454.jpg

20190127_220437.jpg

20190127_220446.jpg

I think it's enough terrain especially since it's all modular. At the very least for a table.

20190127_221744.jpg

Oh and the gate raises

20190127_222021.jpg

I have a HUGE PACK of junk armor panels to kit these all out and I still have 3 things to build... 

Thoughts? Oh... Who want a to paint all of this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10/10 Would fortify this position.

Paintwise, I’d go with oily steel on the horizontal platforms and catwalks (gunmetal metallic liberally coated with black wash), a dirty concrete for the jersey barriers and “inner” parts of the walls (light grey base with darker grey patches all washed with sepia and black), and a rusting steel for the “outer” parts of the walls (gunmetal with streaks of sepia wash).

The idea being that it won’t look too abandoned and post-apocalyptic-y, but also not too shiny and new. “Lived in,” sorta like something outta Firefly or Alien.

You also want to try to stick to a neutral palate: dull metals, earth tones, muted colors. This helps keep the terrain in the background and let’s your miniatures “pop” more. Add some spot colors (industrial signage, lights, graffiti, etc.) here and there, to add some life but remember “less is more.”

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, andy said:

FWIW, I find that laser-cut MDF terrain paints up a lot better if you give it an initial 'primer' layer of Mod Podge. I have a couple of FLG Necron Obelisk things and the Mod Podge really helped with paint coverage, preventing primer absorption, etc.

Mod podge? 

11 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Mod podge? 

Mod Podge is the best known brand of decoupage gunk*. It’s sort of like PVA glue, but also kinda like a clear coat and a primer paint. Back when I had more workshop space and was heavily into terrain building, I used a ton of this stuff. It’s got thousands of uses.

My main use for it was to mix up a jar of mod podge with some black acrylic paint (don’t remember the ratio, just add some paint and stir, keep adding more paint until it’s all black). I would brush this on to all the foam, foam board, cardstock, MDF, and even balsa wood** terrain I made. Once dry, these things became basically as hard as any plastic terrain kit, were under-coated black, primered, and completely sealed against rattle can propellants! 

But there’s a ton of other uses for the stuff, including actually using it for decoupage! I would take the interior wall of a fantasy castle or a grimdark gothic cathedral and cut a balsa wood panel** to fit. Then find some appropriate artwork online, print it, and decoupage it to the balsa. Once the (clear!) mod podge was dry, I’d weather it up with sepia washes or whatever. Glue it in place inside the terrain. Presto. You’ve got a 32 mm scale Michelangelo-worthy fresco. 

* Not the technical term, I’m sure.

** This was before laser-cut MDF became so common.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Shipping is death but good work

This problem pretty much plagues all the MDF terrain shops: MDF weighs a ton. A lot of American shops will ship domestically by flat-rate priority mail, but if you buy from someone in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, or the UK, you end up getting hit hard by the shipping costs.

6 hours ago, Ish said:

This problem pretty much plagues all the MDF terrain shops: MDF weighs a ton. A lot of American shops will ship domestically by flat-rate priority mail, but if you buy from someone in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, or the UK, you end up getting hit hard by the shipping costs.

This true. I will be buying more but likely not for some time. 

Looks like you could do 90% of the paint work on these with rattle cans. Base black, dust lightly from different directions with 2 lighter colors.

Seen a super great "post punk-alympitc" scheme a while back that has a real gritty Necromunda feel.

Spray black solid.

Dust with 2-3 different neon colors, different directions and a bit spotty.

Medium grey zenithal dust from 45 degrees.

Light white zenithal dust from straight above.

Rusty/dirty wash and done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1