• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, paxmiles said:

For me, it started when I noted how similar those kastellans look to Registeel

image.png.e0f5ede31c2c7097b4656037ef7ff5ec.png

Raise the shoulders on the Kastellan so the head is part of the torso, put some laser eyes in that double diamond pattern. I wouldn't make it exactly like this, but enough where it looked good and looked kinda like this. And not a horribly hard paint scheme.

The other one I was thinking about is Magearna to be one of the admech characters:

image.png.2c26075231294625aadafe0880cc179c.png

More conversions than the other, but it's a robo-maid so it obviously belongs with admech.

Well, this project got green lit:

IMG_20190719_120145651.thumb.jpg.a55fef9ce78b136edf3a1f1e22222cc2.jpg

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Ah, that's where it's from. They had it as hell in that Lucifer show.

Yeah, I actually got to go there once (the Giant's Causeway. Not hell.) It's a really cool place. I believe it occurs some other places as well. It's a volcanic phenomenon, when the lava has the right formulation and the right conditions while cooling.

Been debating in my head about conversions on the Kastellan Robots to make them look more like Registeel pokemon. I think the conversions are a mistake. The model looks close enough as is, which means converting only leaves room for failure - best case, the conversion only makes it look a little bit better.

The Magearna/Techpriest Dominus is turning out. Again, won't be perfect, mainly because I'm unwilling to sacrifice WYSIWYG. I'll get a picture up soon. Still, looks pretty good. The main thing is that conversion makes it a lot taller just because I tweak the techpriest to not be so hunched over.

Ugh...handstand is blurry. Oh, well, you get the idea.

Camera in my new phone doesn't work very well. Might have to charge up my digital camera - it's just been sitting.

For the one doing the handstand, I'm debating if I need putty to give treads on his shoes, or if it's fine as is. He's not really designed for his feet to show their bottoms.

15 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'm sorry, I really really really don't understand the "handstand" pose. Seriously.

Understand?  Do you mean you don't like it, or was there a specific question in there?

I suppose the point is that these Kastelan models have more articulation than I'm used to and I'm exploring my pose options. 

Plus I bought 12 of them and plan basically the same loadout and paint scheme on every one, so the pose is how they will be distinguished.

I think I'll do some kneeling ones next.

Oh, regarding the handstand model, the idea is that he's going for a "handstand kick" like in the 3rd image from the left below.

image.png.b58dfcbc4a8e61cc16e77f72afb498c8.png

Obviously, mine is imperfect. But that was the idea in my head.

43 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Why (in the context of the 40k universe) would that robot ever be commanded to do a handstand?

Again, it's handstand kick. He's springing off the rocks to kick. Maybe these robots are less agile in your mind.

I feel like martial arts would be pretty commonly programmed into robots. I mean, Martial arts is basically understanding your specs, the physics of your motions, and how it relates to maximum your combat output. Robots seem like they'd be "naturals" at martial arts, and programing it would be an obvious approach. It would be different if this wasn't a robot designed for combat, but that isn't the case here.

As for why kicking, the legs are longer than the arms and usually have more strength than the arms. That's not specific to this model, to human shaped things in general. A kick is typically more powerful than a punch. That's why they kick doors down, instead of punching them down...

Regarding specific commands, I think it would be more like "Got to that objective" and then they take the most optimal way to the objective, attacking enemies that impede, jumping over obstacles, flips, dodges, as so forth. A kick might not always be the best option, but it probably comes up from the time to time and it seems unlikely that they would be unable to kick or lack the balance to perform a handstand. Plus my terrain for basing is rather awkward for normal movement (random pillars).

Perhaps you're picturing a robot like this level of agility:

image.png.f734e66b89094fd055c3dc0e91907dcf.png

You are definitely welcome to your own opinion and viewpoint on them. Based on the fluff that I have read, and the history that GW has produced over the years, that particular model would never enter my head as a martial arts master.

These guys perhaps might have that sort of mobility:
99120116003_SicarianRuststalkers01.jpg

but in my opinion, the Kastelan robots would not. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

You are definitely welcome to your own opinion and viewpoint on them. Based on the fluff that I have read, and the history that GW has produced over the years, that particular model would never enter my head as a martial arts master.

These guys perhaps might have that sort of mobility:

Martial arts master leaves the wrong impression. It's programing, not training. Though on the human level, martial arts is human programing.

I think robots, especially those designed for combat, would have programing which includes methods of weight distribution and understanding how to manipulate their own body's physics to achieve what would take humans years of martial arts training.

A slow, colossal robot would still be slow and colossal, but it would have balance and purpose of motion. Wasted movement is something avoided by humans via martial arts, but for robots it's a fuel efficiency concept. And these robots are supposed to be of Artificer quality.

Anyway, I've not seen anyone give complaints at a certain someone's space marine standing on two wolves, or another certain someone's genestealers entering a limousine - yet for some reason, I'm getting flak regarding model poses on models that don't even feature any conversions.

Sounds like you have beef with creative expression in 40k.

56 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Sounds like you are extremely defensive. I asked why the model was doing a handstand because I didn't understand the reason behind it. You explained your point of view, and then I shared mine. I disagree with your choice, but that isn't a judgement.

Yeah, must me being too defensive. I thought that you being especially anal about the pose seemed out of character for you, but it's been really hot in my home and I think it is affecting my reactions. You are certainly not a hostile person (as far as I've seen).

Sorry if I offended.