So, yeah, suggestions on extreme durability in 8e?

Can't seem to get my marines to be durable in 8e. Defense for 8e is kinda focused on scoring faster, rather than actual defense, but I like defense. Suggestions on armies that play defense well. 

They seems pretty awesome without allies, but I am on the receiving end. But 2-3 of their models can cost as much as a Loyal 32 Detachment, so they should be pretty self reliant. 

I want to get into AdMech next, like next year or so. Love their looks but I read their playstyle is like Grey Knights, you have to love them.

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Save up and buy a Warhound. 1 model, 1 detachment, kill things.

Can you really kill enough things with a single model? Warhound only has like two weapons. I suppose I just said durable, and I really like your train of thought....hmm

A local guy keeps running a Acastus Knight Porphyrion in every game. I'll admit to being tempted on taking that approach to 40k.

If I brought just a Warhound, would you guys have fun?

14 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I do run a list like that.  2 Monoliths, 1 Obelisk, Doomsday Ark, 3 Crypteks, 19 immortals, 8 deathmarks, and an Anihilation Barge.

That doesn't seem overpowered or too durable, monoliths just aren't worth the 320 points. People can just ignore them. They're a 12 shot heavy bolter with 6 rocket shot. At Knight level costs they have more power than that. The smart thing is to just ignore the monoliths and finish everything else off.

The problem I ran into last year was I ran 12 wraiths, 6 destroyers, 40 warriors, and 10 immortals. Everything had an invul of 5++ from the cryptek, except the wraiths this have 3++ naturally. Plus reanimating on a 4+ and auto passing all morale (warlord ability). Trying to tone that down this year, however assassins showing up at OFCC have me concerned, they really pop aura dudes like the cryptek way too easily.

My current idea this year is destroyer lord, cryptek, 30 immortals, 7 tomb blades, 6 wraiths, 6 destroyers, monolith, and 2 annihilation barges. Lots of tesla shooting and fast movement, but nothing face melting except destroyers and monolith for anti tank. Play testing wise it's seeming softer.

• Like 1

Just now, Dark Trainer said:

That doesn't seem overpowered or too durable, monoliths just aren't worth the 320 points. People can just ignore them. They're a 12 shot heavy bolter with 6 rocket shot. At Knight level costs they have more power than that. The smart thing is to just ignore the monoliths and finish everything else off.

Yet...   it wins.  And its a simple list to run.  Mephrit Dynasty for the win!!!  

I am certain beyond all doubt that there are tougher options.  58 poxwalkers and such.  But I like the toughness of these Necrons.  Its not that easy to handle.  More mobile than it looks also.  

1 minute ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Yet...   it wins.  And its a simple list to run.  Mephrit Dynasty for the win!!!  

I am certain beyond all doubt that there are tougher options.  58 poxwalkers and such.  But I like the toughness of these Necrons.  Its not that easy to handle.  More mobile than it looks also.  

I did try using a deceiver to delivery a monolith forward and deliver troops turn 1 too...was kinda fun stealing a relic objective, but wanted my 225pts back, deceiver was 'ok'. Was fun to snipe with the ctan meteor using close model control.

11 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

I did try using a deceiver to delivery a monolith forward and deliver troops turn 1 too...was kinda fun stealing a relic objective, but wanted my 225pts back, deceiver was 'ok'. Was fun to snipe with the ctan meteor using close model control.

The decievr trick is too prone to rolling crappy on the number of units.  I do LOVE the deceiver though.  Boy was he fun in 5th.

• Like 1

Death Guard are obnoxiously resilient. They're cheap enough that you can field lots of them, they're high toughness, they all have a 5+ FNP. They just. Don't. Freakin'. Die. If you like painting boils and pustules, bonus for that. They're also pretty readily accessible from Dark Imperium, et al. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Death Guard are obnoxiously resilient. They're cheap enough that you can field lots of them, they're high toughness, they all have a 5+ FNP. They just. Don't. Freakin'. Die. If you like painting boils and pustules, bonus for that. They're also pretty readily accessible from Dark Imperium, et al. 

The Cloud of Flies Stratagem for Deathgaurd is suuuuuh good too.

Picked up the admech codex, just to read.

I think I can get the durability I seek there. Those robots, the kastelan, can have a 2+/4++ (aegis protocols) with t7 and 6 wounds each.

I've been playing Pokemon games lately. I kinda want to make admech where all the models are modeled as various Pokemon....to hell with grimdark, right?

Dunno, might go this route....

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Picked up the admech codex, just to read.

I think I can get the durability I seek there. Those robots, the kastelan, can have a 2+/4++ (aegis protocols) with t7 and 6 wounds each.

I've been playing Pokemon games lately. I kinda want to make admech where all the models are modeled as various Pokemon....to hell with grimdark, right?

Dunno, might go this route....

I've been wanting to do some Meganobz as Pokemon for years. Ever since people started referring to them as MANz. So they could be a Mob of PokeMANz. XD

For me, it started when I noted how similar those kastellans look to Registeel

image.png.e0f5ede31c2c7097b4656037ef7ff5ec.png

Raise the shoulders on the Kastellan so the head is part of the torso, put some laser eyes in that double diamond pattern. I wouldn't make it exactly like this, but enough where it looked good and looked kinda like this. And not a horribly hard paint scheme.

The other one I was thinking about is Magearna to be one of the admech characters:

image.png.2c26075231294625aadafe0880cc179c.png

More conversions than the other, but it's a robo-maid so it obviously belongs with admech.

17 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Chaos Knights with Bloodthirsters.

Unfortunately, bloodthirsters are incredibly fragile for points. They are a glass hammer. 300+ pts of glass hammer, but still.

And chaos knights, at least presently, suffer from zero stratagem support and no synergy with other chaotic forces (they can't take marks or other keywords that would make them eligible). Heck, the CSM warp smiths can't even repair them (FW has their own chaos HQ that can, but it doesn't have a model, or even a picture of their intended model). Looking forward to that Chaos Knight book, though.

Chaos needs some love. Greater daemons, in particular, need work. Overpriced, don't offer much to their army. They make terrible HQs. Tzeentch might be an exception. That whole daemon codex could use a re-write.