New Player Interested In 40k

Tao Tsê-Mung

I’ve played a bunch of board games and rpgs and I’m getting interested mostly in 40k, and AoS a little as well. I don’t have any units and haven’t actually played at all yet, wondering if anyone hosts intro events? It’d be great to be able to play a game or two before dropping hundreds on a game I’ve never played.

Also, how’s the Portland 40k community for new players? Are there many new players joining? How competitive is the local scene, is everyone playing meta lists or is it more laid back?

Sorry to ask so many questions but reading about the game online its seems like 40k communities can have some pretty extreme differences from one group to the next.

Anyone have any tips to save a few bucks getting the minis? Even with the 15% discounts online most units cost more than an entire board game and it seems like the best units are all the most expensive ones. Not really a fan of pay to win games so if there’s a better way to acquire the models that’d be great.

Thanks! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the group.

The 40k community is strong in Portland along with many other systems. Most groups vary on their 'meta' or competitiveness. Most are middle of the road and really thrive on having a good game. At the Ordo Clubhouse that's what we usually focus on (a fun game). I've seen 'some' stores that have a higher meta with larger stuff. However, that's not typically the norm and your average player isn't bringing a win at all costs list (don't get me wrong, bring a very weak list, don't expect to have much more than 'fun'). 

We'll be running an escalation league here shortly (starting March 1st), that would be a great chance to hop into 40k.

As for saving a buck, second hand minis are a great way to save a buck. Picked up a bunch of marines for my nephew for a very reasonable price. Other newer armies you're not likely to have as much luck there. Your next best bet is the 15% discounts of stores, usually have to be part of their leagues though.

• Like 2

Our rogue trading forum can be a great place for deals on minis, as can the gamer garage sale we have coming up, but 40k is definitely a hobby, and that sort of thing is typically expensive.  

Ordo tries to focus on having fun and on the hobby aspects (painting, conversions, terrain and the like)

You’re always welcome to come hang out around the clubhouse during game nights to check us out, watch games being played, and ask questions.  As Dark Trainer said, the escalation league is a great way to have some support if you do decide to build an army.  

• Like 3

Thanks DT. Yeah, I prefer a closer game with exciting twists and a good challenge. Some of the objective based missions look to have really interesting mechanics. This escalation format sounds like a great way to learn and build an army too. I’d better decide on a faction soon and start painting.

I had to ask because in reading online about which factions have which play styles there’s always someone commenting that they’re bottom tier and they’ll always lose to stuff like “triple T9 chaos knight iconoclasts” or “yet another Brohammer Space Marine Brick list”.

Hodor, that would be awesome if I could play a game or two with yours, with you or other folks. Necrons were one of the armies I was looking at, but plenty of others interest me too. I can make any Sunday so let me know how best to meetup, etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewPlayer said:

I had to ask because in reading online about which factions have which play styles there’s always someone commenting that they’re bottom tier and they’ll always lose to stuff like “triple T9 chaos knight iconoclasts” or “yet another Brohammer Space Marine Brick list”.

Ignore these people. Everyone on the gamer geek internet is the best wargame player ever (just ask them), just like every sports fan in your office the Monday after the Super Bowl is a super-genius coach who could have lead their team to a 24,601 to 3 victory. 🙄

Pick whichever army you are the most excited by and base that decision on what appeals to you and not the chattering ninnies of the Internet. If you care most about looks, pick the one you think looks the best; If you care most about playstyle, pick the one you think best matches your style of play; If you care most about storytelling, pick the one that you think has the coolest story. It's you money and your time that you'll be investing in these toy soldiers. You don't want to drop $500 and 1,000 hours of hobby time into an army you don't enjoy.

• Like 4

Haha, yeah, those folks in my office are always talking about how ‘their guy’ knows the best split for their bets too. They always seem to show back up for their day job though.

I used to paint minis for my D&D group so the models are a huge draw for me. Seems like much more customization possible (models & loadouts) in 40k than in AoS or other games. From what I’ve read magnetizing the interchangeable parts is a pretty wise move.

• Like 2

Generally speaking, AoS units will have every member of the group equipped with the same “basic” weapon, usually with a “leader” figure with a special weapon and occasionally with one or two guys in the unit with a special weapon too. Which isn’t too different from most squads in WH40k honestly...

The biggest difference is that WH40k will have more options for what that “basic” weapon is. A squad of Marines can have bolt rifles, automatic bolt rifles, sniper bolt rifles, etc. A unit of Spearmen can have spears. 

There’s also loads more “conversion bitz” available from third-party vendors who will sell you all kinds of custom heads, weapons, shoulder pads, backpacks, and other gubbins designed for Space Marines (Chaos or Original Recipe), Imperial Guard, and Space Orks. The market for fantasy bitz is much smaller.

3 hours ago, NewPlayer said:

Thanks DT. Yeah, I prefer a closer game with exciting twists and a good challenge. Some of the objective based missions look to have really interesting mechanics. This escalation format sounds like a great way to learn and build an army too. I’d better decide on a faction soon and start painting.

Hodor, that would be awesome if I could play a game or two with yours, with you or other folks. Necrons were one of the armies I was looking at, but plenty of others interest me too. I can make any Sunday so let me know how best to meetup, etc.

I could probably do this sunday or next fine.  Not sure how you feel about the superbowl, but I have no plans around it.  

I will look over things and assemble a 1000 point Necron list to do a learning game.  Necrons have some of the easiest stats to learn but very little customization in rules or models out of the box.  One of the cheaper armies at the moment through a combination of low rules support (double edged there), under-selling boxes from apocalypse/holiday bundles, and a good start collecting (but not one you really want more than 1-2 of).   

There are rumors suggesting something big coming lore/model wise.  Not totally crazy since they were mentioned a lot in january white dwarf for no obvious reason.

• Like 1

Imperial Space Marines are probably the army with the lowest cost of entry; They're in all the various Starter Sets, they've got great Start Collecting boxes, they've got several low-cost "Easy Build" kits, and if you're open to the idea of used miniatures, they are readily available on the second-hand market. They also have a fairly low- to middle-sized model count in the average army.

The various faction of Chaos Space Marines are almost as good a value, especially if you either go "All Death Guard" or "Grab Bag." At present, Death Guard are in the Starter Set, have low-cost "Easy Build" kits, and a nice Start Collecting box. You can also usually snag the Death Guard half of the starter sets on the second-hand market too. If you go "Grab Bag," meaning a mix of Chaos Marines from all the legions, then you also tap into the fact that used collections are commonly available on the second-hand market.

Imperial Guard are massively popular, but they require a lot of infantry and/or a lot of vehicles. Space Orks are in the same boat... So while you do occasionally see special deals on them (especially around Christmas) its still kind of expensive no matter how you slice it.  

Necrons, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, and Grey Knights seem to be the less commonly played armies. Which means they're not commonly found on the second-hand market... Nor do they show up in Starter Sets or other special bundles. They're perfectly fine armies, but its hard to find good deals on them. 

Adeptus Custodes have a very low model count, but they also cost a lot of cash on a model-per-dollar basis, something like $12 per man for their "grunt" troops. But you'll need less than twenty of them.

Imperial Knights or Chaos Knights dial that up to eleven... It's like $150 for a basic Knight. But, hey, you only need four of `em.

Hi. I'm Jay. I'm one of the Sunday game night hosts. Any time you want to come check things out I can give you a tour a make introductions. I'm playing in a Necromunda league at the moment but when that is over I would be happy to help you get some learning games in.

• Like 1

Welcome! If you’re looking to save money on miniatures look no further than Mindtaker Miniatures! We’re a locally based online reseller, our prices are generally 30-60% off retail.

Glad you found Ordo! We’re having a gamer garage sale on 2/15 at the Ordo clubhouse if you’re looking to shop for cheap gaming stuff or just want to chat and get some great advice from all the amazing people here 🙂 

• Like 4

I’d recommend your first few units new in box just so you can be sure you’re getting all the models and bits. However, once you’re pretty familiar with what all a kit should include, you can find some deals on ebay for used models.

Also you may want to make sure to have your codex for your chosen faction while building the kits so you can read over the weapon options while you assemble them. I find its nice to have models WYSIWYG, personally. That can sometime mean making a permanent choice, of course. Or, you can get crazy into magnetizing bits so your units are endlessly reconfigurable. 

• Like 1