Cabin Fever Painting Frenzy Challenge week 6!

Its week 6 of the hobby challenge!

For this week the challenge is to set a personal goal and then meet it.  Make it reasonable, the point isn't to fail.

Ideally you will post your goal early this week and then update your post with how you did know Sunday.

My goal is to get my 9 remaining chaos warriors base coated.

Have at it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Finally decided to start in on rehabilitating my long negelected samurai army. My goal for the week is to get the entire block of pikemen rebased, repaired, and touched up. There’s fifty of ‘em, so it’s a bigger job than it sounds.

However, to increase my enthusiasm, I’ve already given myself a couple “quick wins“ and will do some touch-ups on my Steam Tank and Heroes:

80C74FD0-2BEC-4CEB-AE44-3FF284E9A8C5.thumb.jpeg.37c1c0447a55a29c5dc5abbe4c65b152.jpeg

I have several hero models that I found in a “clearance bin” over ten years ago. They all come from a Chinese game that, near as I can tell, is based on the classic Romance of Three Kingdoms epic. But all the packaging is in Chinese, so I have no idea what the game is called, who these characters are meant to be, or anything. But they look cool.

E20F9A23-91A2-48D4-B356-60671414D7CF.thumb.jpeg.7cc570ac76f4b33b4c3cab361cb22fcc.jpeg

”Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my katana!”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CountElmdor said:

Those are pretty cool ashigaru.

Wargames Factory rolled them out back in 2012, some of the first products they ever made. Wargames Factory went belly up, but all the designs and tooling was sold to Warlord Games who still keeps them in production...

Detail is really “soft” and the joins between arms and torso or torso and legs is kinda terrible. (Well, terrible by 2020 standards. They’re about on par with GW’s plastic WHFB troops from the mid-to-late Nineties.) However, they were dirt cheap, $20 for a box of 25 figs, and there really wasn’t any other source of 28 mm plastic feudal Japanese soldiers on the market. Heck, there isn’t really anything out there now... and they’re still cheap at $32 for a box of 25 figs. (And Warlord runs sales all the time.)

For massed blocks of rank-and-file troops for WHFB / T9A they work great. When you’ve got 25-50 guys standing shoulder to shoulder, you don’t really need to worry too much about getting precision detail. Of course, since I also plan on using them mostly for fantasy wargames, I’m also not too worried about historical accuracy either... They’re going to be fighting Orcs, Vampires, and Elves. Why worry about making sure their heraldry is period specific? 

If you’re in the market for Sengoku Jidai troops, in bulk, I highly recommend them.

• Like 3

So, I’ve got several of these little wooden boxes kicking around. They’re old drawers from a cheap desktop storage thingy that I got at Ikea or Target or someplace ages ago... I decided to put them to a more productive use.

C4724BE5-751F-43D6-B9AB-8EB68D509A98.thumb.jpeg.ed4b316c7217a175097f9fa4e035b056.jpeg
From the foundation...

265C74BB-7C54-436C-8C73-D2DD2F089CDA.thumb.jpeg.e688d9ab41189624345a73dd919f067f.jpeg

...to the final result!

Okay, so admittedly a Germanic half-timbered construction doesn’t make much sense with a flat roof, but 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, andy said:

They look great! Nice work on the snow effects, how'd you do it?

the bases are primed white to begin with (as is the whole model), then once all the painting is done I use Citadel Valhallan Blizzard texture paint for the clumpy snow. Then I sprayed just a tiny bit of the white primer from a rattlecan over them as the final touch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Around Christmastime, Hobby Lobby and Michaels both stock this stuff. I used it for the bases of all my Imperial Guard, back in the day.

It comes out of the tube with a sort of toothpaste consistency in a bead about the thickness of a piece of spaghetti. But as it drys, it kinda mushes into itself... Not unlike Citadel’s Stirland Mud basing paint. You just sort of squirt it on, maybe make some thicker piles here and there, and twenty-four hours later you’ve got great looking ankle-deep snow. Bright white, with just a little bit of glint. Dries rock solid too.

The final result isn’t quite as nice as the fancier artificial snows on the market. But it’s good enough for tabletop standard, durable, and cheap! A $4 tube should easily cover 20-30 bases. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m quite late to this party, but I got about halfway through getting my paint/hobby space organized and prepped to be able to work on stuff this past week.  (I’ve been on a work trip since late March, so no hobby ing has happened.).  Maybe I’ll remember to toss a pic in here after I get home today.  (Able to go to work still 🤞)

• Like 4

So, I’ve got several of these little wooden boxes kicking around. They’re old drawers from a cheap desktop storage thingy that I got at Ikea or Target or someplace ages ago... I decided to put them to a more productive use.

IKEA. I've got a couple of them around that I use to store my paints that I'm not using for a current project.

• Like 3