Contrast and Chill - Episode 4

jollyork

Contrast_and_Chill_1024.png

The Pied Piper
It's been a while since my last episode, but the painting and the chilling has been prolific. In this episode I've got a selection of Skaven done up for Blood Bowl. With the new Season 2 edition being released in a couple weeks, I needed to make updates for the revised rosters and finish up some Star Players that will be more commonly used in the new rules.

First up are some Underworld Snotlings. These are a brand new player type in Season 2 and not only is there an entire new team of Snotlings, but Underworld get to have up to 6 of them. I've already played a test game with them and they're awesome because they're dirt cheap and when they get smashed into the dirt, it's no big deal. They can be fielded in addition to the 11 players already on the pitch, causing all sorts of entanglements-under-foot for your opponent, just the way Snotlings should be!

Since they're Snotlings on a mixed team with Skaven, I wanted the models to be mixed up, too. The first three are new crew models from the new Snotling Pump Wagon riding Giant Rats, and then a "normal" Snotling and two "normal" Giant Rats.

image.png

Next up are a couple of genuine Skaven. On the left is Glart Smashrip, Jr., a great star player who adds some much-needed brutal strength to rat lineups. He has a penchant for eating everything (and everyone), which his prodigious model reflects. Next to him is a converted Gutter Runner. Originally I was going to use this model as Skitter Stab-Stab, another fantastic star player for Skaven, but I have already replaced this model with another one I liked better. Contrast being Contrast, I decided to paint this model up anyway because doing it alongside Glart only added a handful of extra minutes to the project. Contrast makes extras like this so easy!

image.png

image.png

The rust on Glart's armour is, of course, not Contrast, but also very easy to do. Dabbing some Rust Texture paint of your choice, followed by stippling bright orange makes this effect about as easy as Contrast and just as visually impressive. I'll have another whole episode devoted to this effect as part of a Necromunda/Kill Team project I have going on now.

The last model for this episode is the Skaven Doomwheel. I got this in a trade sometime ago and never had a use for it since it's far too large for the Blood Bowl pitch... or is it? Challenge Accepted! By trimming off some of the extra-pokey doodads (Skaven models are full of those), I managed to condense the overall footprint to just the wheel and the pumper guy on the back. By tilting the entire model forward, it raised the pumper platform high enough to be taller than most other models, so now the Doomwheel not only fit onto a 32mm base (yes, it really is!), but also made it feasible to fit onto the pitch while surrounded by other models. Even with all that cleverness, the model does suffer from the same problem as other large Blood Bowl models in that being knocked over and laying prone would create an epic clusterjam on the pitch. However, that problem is solved by using it as Kreek Rustgouger, a star player wielding a Ball & Chain. The B&C is a devastating secret weapon that causes just as much harm to the bearer when he gets knocked over and automatically removes him from the pitch. I love it when a plan comes together!

image.png

image.png

image.png

There's a lot of metal on this model, but we count those as honorary Contrast colors since they're just as quick to use, especially when shaded with Basilicanum Grey. There's also a lot of wood, which I used all of the darker Contrast browns for variation. That was followed by a drybrush with Ushabti Bone, and that's all it takes for really gorgeous wood effects. The glowy parts, something Skaven also have a lot of, are all Warp Lightning and then some light drybrushes of Warpstone Glow and Moot Green (both Layer paints). For the record, we also count drybrush colors as Contrast because they're quick and effective! I kept the banner plain red as I haven't had any inspiration for what to paint on it yet. Maybe after a few games something will appear, as is wont to do in Blood Bowl.

That's it for this episode, thanks for reading! Next time will be some more Blood Bowl (and even more after that) as we rush headlong into the new edition and new season.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, PourSpelur said:

Is your Podcast called "Contrast and Chill"?

Not finding it on my podcast app. I use Pocket Casts if that helps.

Shoot, just re-read your very first line. Says Hobby cast, not podcast. Where can I watch/listen?

Hmm, now that's an interesting idea. I had not considered a real podcast of sorts. "Hobbycast" was my *cough* clever *cough* play on a regular series of posts on a forum - so 90s, bro! If it were a podcast, what would you like to see/hear? Like a timelapse of painting a model? That might actually be feasible because Contrast makes it so fast. My next episode features a model done in less than an hour! Anyway, thanks for the feedback and for reading!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jollyork said:

... That might actually be feasible because Contrast makes it so fast. My next episode features a model done in less than an hour! Anyway, thanks for the feedback and for reading!

Less then an hour?!?!? Maybe I am doing contrast wrong. I find if I don't put a good amount of paint on the model I don't get the contrast feel of the paint. Then I have to wait a good while before I can do the next color.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonVilkee said:

Whoa, that is serious hardware! Very cool. 

I have not had issues waiting for drying, though I also tend to paint several minis at once so by the time I finish the last one, the first one is dry. When doing a single mini, I also usually have something else cooking, like a conversion I'm working on. So I trade greenstuff drying time with Contrast drying time... Ha, typing this out made me realize that's what I've been doing to kill the time. Subconscious efficiency! 😆

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

That's cheating!  😛

1 hour ago, jollyork said:

I have not had issues waiting for drying, though I also tend to paint several minis at once so by the time I finish the last one, the first one is dry. When doing a single mini, I also usually have something else cooking, like a conversion I'm working on. So I trade greenstuff drying time with Contrast drying time... Ha, typing this out made me realize that's what I've been doing to kill the time. Subconscious efficiency! 😆

Yeah, I try and paint multiple models too, but maybe I am using too much paint and need to scale back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jollyork said:

I linked the cheaper one... So that it fit the dining room aesthetic better I've actually got the big one...

It is super nice I've been using greenstuff world texture rollers with air dry clay, glazes, perfect clear glue on translucent plastic among other things. I've found more and more reasons to use it since I've got it.

• Like 4