Da Boyz Return

Oye Oye Oye! Crack Some Skulls And Beat Some Dead!

Well I have decided to bring out the Orcs again. I am hoping to build up and paint up an army for next year's OFCC and I want an early start.

Now for escalation I might have my work cutout for me because some want to vent their pent up power hunger but I am going to try and stick it out. And maybe all that beat down will prep me better. Now, which direction should I go?

My first list at 1000 will look something like this.

Black Orc Warboss, Sword of Swiftness, Armor of Fortune, Dawnstone and shield.

Orc Shaman lvl 2, Dispel Scroll.

15 Black Orcs, full command 

25 Big'uns, full command and Standard of Discipline

6 Goblin riders, shield, spears, short bows and musician

2 Trolls

At 1000 points we will all be suffering but I am hoping that my Warboss is kitted out enough to take on the Chaos things that will be coming and that my Trolls scare people more than my Black Orcs before I get into melee.

Eventually I want to have a Wolf themed Orc army using lots of Space Wolves bits and mounts to make a wolfish look. It will consist mostly of regular gobos and orcs with a good mix of other units. I am looking for and large variety over spamming. My Warboss will be mount on a Thunder Wolf and I will have Gobo heros on the other smaller wolves. Add in the wolfskins that go on their dreadnought for banners and wolf skulls and tails for flavor and I think I could have a nice looking army for next year. I already have almost everything I need model wise so all I need to buy is painting supplies and bits. 

I still need to test out the Swedish Comp to figure out if I should bring much artillery or if 1 doomdiver (expensive on the comp side) and a couple bolt throwers will be enough. I am hoping that more mid size units can maneuver better than when I tried the large hordes I did before. Either way hope to have good fun.  :happy:

• Like 3

Orcs and goblins are one of the best armies in the game when it comes to low points battles. Your characters are cheap and war machines/rare voices are as well. Mangler is a must for me at that point level, and a few level 1 night gibbons wizards are nice. Have fun, and stay away from typical army build tactics when you I play below 2k. You should do well.

I like that you have goblin riders.  Goblins riding goblins is the way to go.

For real though, OnG are great for low point battles.

That's actually Black Orcs riding goblins. Not very fast but it beats walking.

Well I am hoping with my experience with other armies and better over all knowledge of the game my Greenskins will fair better now. Of course they are not very competitive so against stronger books I don't expect the game to be close. Also looking to keep savages out for as long as possible.

Also I had to decide on weather to bring a doomdiver or Trolls and honestly I want to get better with trolls. Doomdivers are just easy to use and I don't want to rely on them too much at low points. For OFCC I most likely will be able to take only one because their Swedish Comp is brutal. (I was right saying they are one the best artillery pieces in the game.)

Also for to counter armor the black orcs are a strength 7 on the first round of combat and trolls can ignore armor completely.

After looking at some of the list being started for the escalation league I have to say my Orc's would get crushed. I am very tempted to bring to list two each week of the league, one an orc and goblin prep for the OFCC and the second a filthy kick you in the nuts witch elves and warlock hero bunker for the filther lists. I want to have fun this league and I hate hampering my game by bringing a fluffy list to a gun fight.

And you have to be honest an O&G army will get hammered by a filthy chaos list 90% of the time by equal generals.

I assume this is in response to the list I posted (which I'm not bringing as I won't be there).

Try it before you knock it. You outnumber my guys many to one, punch armor, and your character is good at shredding my champions or wizard, which have to challenge.

I assume this is in response to the list I posted (which I'm not bringing as I won't be there).

Try it before you knock it. You outnumber my guys many to one, punch armor, and your character is good at shredding my champions or wizard, which have to challenge.

Actually your's is number 3 and the weakest of those. There looks to be four possible playing the chaos flavors at this moment and their lists are geared to bring the hammer. My list will crumble to the higher ws, int and armor. Orc's really are a fluffy army, I have always crushed them when I play against them, and against the top tier armies they don't stand a chance. (The top tier I feel are the chaos of both fllavors and Dark Elves. Even at OFCC my Empire got tabled by turn 3 so I really don't like facing a tooled up Chaos list.)

Are you planning on putting the BO character in the unit of Big 'Uns?

Also, I would suggest trying to find a spot for a doom diver.  Armour is going to be your bane.

/agreed...you must Doom Dive...and Mangling is always good too:)

But Yeah If ya don't want to run the easy cheesy stuff I understand..myself I kinda have to due to  my fail playing skillz.

On that Swedish comp stuff for OnG`s...it seems like the Orc Biguns are a bit on the overated side of things,they put them on par with regular SO`s..does that seem right to you?

And yeah Doom Divers are 11 points,ouch!..but Chukkas are nice and cheap at 2 pts each, so theres that.

As for the Warmachines I won't take more than one doom diver and bolt throwers if I need more. As for the savages I think they got the Savage Big'uns a little high but everyone takes them in a large horde with a shaman and shrunken head. It is the nastiest combo the Orc's can throw out.

So I am going back to the books to do more research and I got a copy of the WoC book now so I will be looking at ways to counter them. I will say without a comp it is hard to see a way outside of my opponent seriously screwing up. It's the WoC player's game to lose.

As for the Doom Diver in the league my concern is that they are unreliable machines and in many games it has failed me bad. I know my target priorities and how to set it up but the dice go where they go. But if they actually hit they can take out a unit of Chaos Knights in one hit. (Never seen it happen and honestly don't expect them to either.)

I guess I am trying to get a feel for what is going to be at game night and so far I feel the heat. (Honestly I will gladly fight against a Dark Elf player over a WoC because I know the odds are in the DE's favor but they still have to maneuver right and can screw that up costing them the game. The WoC tactics are pretty straight forward, March foward to get into melee fast and roll dice. Then the win becomes harder because making the game more challenging is in the WoC player's opponent's hands. They will have the game unless their opponent can find a way to make melee not happen and shoot and magic them to non-effectiveness.)

Warboss, Sword of Swiftness, Armor of Fortune, Dawnstone and shield.

Orc Shaman lvl 2, Dispel Scroll.

15 Black Orcs, full command

23 Big'uns, Extra hand weapon, full command and Standard of Discipline

6 Goblin riders, shield, spears, short bows and musician

Doom Diver

So this is what I ended up with. Feel like I am counting on my Doom Diver a lot here but this is 1000 points so yeah. The two units of Orc's should still bring the pain but we will see how they do.

Hope to prime them this weekend.

ML- are you looking for feedback?

If so, here's my two cents.

Warboss-really for this point level and the gear you gave him a Black orc warboss is significantly a better buy. Buy him a decent magic armor and call it good.

Shaman- I'm not a fan of big waagh powers on a baby scroll caddy. Any chance at replacing him for a mounted goblin mage?

Orc big'uns- good choice! I like them with armour piercing banner when you get points.

15 black orcs maybe over kill can you try 11?

Rest looks fine.

What I'm seeing as a desperate need for you is a bsb.

Even a crummy gobbo BSB is better than none.

Good thing about the doom diver is that you CAN count on it.  They are hard to miss with.

In the past mine tended to misfire, a lot. Ended up with "can't fire this turn or the next" most of the time.

Of course that could be just my memory but man it sure seemed that way.

Hero Zero the War Boss is a Black Orc. Just noticed I forgot to list it. Thanks for the feed back, I will look it over. As for the Black Orc unit being big I will be needing that hitting power for all the Chaos Armor and Monstrous Beasts coming.

Turn one my Doom Diver misfires. Can't shoot this turn or the next. By turn two a unit of minotaurs wipe my black orcs to the man before I can swing. Orc big'uns get bad mooned four times till only four are left and the Bull wipes out everything left.

And the guys were going easy on me.

Bad luck. Seriously thinking of bringing the dirty dirty Dark Elves. This league is going to get ugly.

yea MN is right.  get your black orcs in there and arrer boyz are probably a decent choice at low points.  kinda like quarrelers for dwarfs are pretty good at low points.  also, a big block of minos is just filthy at low points(sorry). they get CRUSHED at higher points when shooting and magic become stronger and they just get off'd being T4(you'll see if we play bigger games sometime)... also, if both of you guys would have had better luck with magic/shooting thats a totally different game.  

I know I had really really bad dice that night but I still realized the flaw with O&G armies. Like in Blood Bowl they are not great at anything but do well enough in most areas. So they have some decent melee units but get slaughtered by melee oriented armies. Their shooting phase is decent and has a chance to do some real damage but against shooting armies they lack the reliability and speed other armies have.

So they're a middle of the road army that has to count on random shenanigans to come out on top.