Codex Necrons

pretre

That was my thought on the issue. Either they hide the spyder and limit their movement (since they have to be what 12"? from the spyder) or the spyder gets nuked and they are SOL.

Meh. Don't think it is going to be that easy to quickly shut down. 

If you go first then I hide the Spyder and should be safe. Unless it is impassable, I roll move through cover and bust through that wall and run to keep with the Spyder. Then on your turn, you have to get through a 3+/4+ RP rolls. Or at least a cover save and 4+ RP roll. Lot harder to shut down. The special rule stays in effect until my next movement phase so the rest of the formation is still getting the RP bonus.

Adaptive Subroutines: At the start of each of the controlling player’s Movement phases,

choose one of the following special rules: Fleet, Reanimation Protocols, Shred. The Canoptek

Spyder from this Formation, and all units from this Formation within 12" of the Canoptek

Spyder from this Formation, benefit from the effects of the chosen special rule until the start

of the controlling player’s next Movement phase.

Once the spyder dies, they aren't within 12" of the Spyder any longer. :)

Yeah, that 1 spyder thing is dumb. Just kill the Spyder...done :dry:

Especially since everything is generated from the Spyder. Easiest formation to shut down.

well to be fair the Spyder is tough.  So there's that.  And it does mean you are ignoring ther immediate threat of the Scarabs and Wraiths who just pushed all their models forward into your face.  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

Meh. Don't think it is going to be that easy to quickly shut down. 

If you go first then I hide the Spyder and should be safe. Unless it is impassable, I roll move through cover and bust through that wall and run to keep with the Spyder. Then on your turn, you have to get through a 3+/4+ RP rolls. Or at least a cover save and 4+ RP roll. Lot harder to shut down. The special rule stays in effect until my next movement phase so the rest of the formation is still getting the RP bonus.

As Pretre notes, I think killing the Spyder will end the effects. (It's not absolutely clear, though.) Also, RP is typically only gonna be a 5+ if you aren't taking it as part of the Decurion, which I don't think will be the default option- the Decurion makes it difficult to take other support elements (especially Praetorians), stops you from effectively running two CCBs (as the Royal Court is prohibitively expensive in most cases) and asks for investments into units you don't really want to take (Tomb Blades, Immortals.)

I'm not saying it's a weak formation. I'm just saying unless the Spyder is obscured, there's plenty of S6+ weaponry that will kill a spyder quickly.

I'm still going to try it, my thought is if I put enough other threats on the table they may ignore it....maybe. I would say only the unknowing opponent will fall for it though. Although ONE Spyder would be a target for me, purely for First Blood...

Maybe this becomes the new unit to hide behind a Monolith (or Obelisk)...

Once the spyder dies, they aren't within 12" of the Spyder any longer. :)

Sure, if you kill the spdyer on your first turn, they are not able to benefit from RP.

But the conditions for the 12" are at the START of the movement phase. Once that happens, the Wraiths, Scarabs, and Spyders benefit from the chosen rule until the start of my NEXT movement phase, the condition for the 12" is to be met at the start of the movement phase. If they get out of the 12" during my movement phase, assault phase, shooting phase or your phases, they still benefit from the chosen rule until the start of MY movement phase when you check to see if they are in the 12" bubble.

That's how I read it. I feel it is pretty clear.

Sure, if you kill the spdyer on your first turn, they are not able to benefit from RP.

But the conditions for the 12" are at the START of the movement phase. Once that happens, the Wraiths, Scarabs, and Spyders benefit from the chosen rule until the start of my NEXT movement phase, the condition for the 12" is to be met at the start of the movement phase. If they get out of the 12" during my movement phase, assault phase, shooting phase or your phases, they still benefit from the chosen rule until the start of MY movement phase when you check to see if they are in the 12" bubble.

That's how I read it. I feel it is pretty clear.

I don't think it's that clear.