Codex Necrons

pretre

So lets ACTUALLY talk about Necrons, shall we?  :wink:

Got a game in with Necrons last night. 2k Maelstrom. He was running Sisters with an Imperial Knight.

I was trying to run the Decurion Detachment

Reclemation Legion - Relentless, Reroll 1's on RP within 12 of leader.

Nemesor Zandrek

20 Warriors

10 Warriors Night Scythe

5 Immortals Night Scyte

3 Tomb Blades - Shield Vanes, Nebuloscope

Canoptek Harvest x2

Spyder

9 Scarabes in one formation 8 in the other

6 Wraiths - Transdimensional Beamer

Not a batrep as that will come in video form later. But some thoughts.

Reanimation Protocols is wicked. Almost OP. Wraiths with a 3++ then 4+ (Spdyer gives them RP, Decurion gives all with RP +1) is nuts. If you can get it army wide it makes you so much more surviveable and therefore able to kill and score. I was shocked at how resilient the units were.

Gauss was great but not something you can really count on.

Zandrek was great but I will need to remember to use him more effectivly. I hate rules that Ihave to remember at the beginning of a phase as I tend to forget those.

Curious how they'd fare against top tier eldar lists or the like.

• Like 2

Zandrekh is much, MUCH better when paired up with a Tau Commander using the Puretide Chip- you get Hit and Run permanently and your choice of Tank Hunter, Monster Hunter, Counterattack, or Furious Charge every single turn. Tau bring the AT firepower, 'Crons bring the melee support and scoring. Also, keep in mind some of the weird interactions like Night Fighting with Zandy out.

I think you're overinvesting in Scarabs there- take some smaller units, pump them up with Spyders (remember RP works against the wound you can take from building more little dudes) and hide them behind stuff. They're not longer uncontrollable murder to vehicles- they can be decent, but they're mostly for finishing things off or delaying them.

Warlord traits of note for Zandy: Reroll 1s to hit in shooting, Reroll 1s in melee, Fearless/IWND, Stealth/MTC (Ruins), reroll reserves, +/-1 reserves, reroll morale, +1VP for winning a challenge. Also remember that once you switch you are allowed to stick with the same trait for several turns (as switching is optional) if you want and that he can actually duplicate his original warlord trait once (as he is only prohibited from choosing the same trait more than once.)

Zandrekh is much, MUCH better when paired up with a Tau Commander using the Puretide Chip- you get Hit and Run permanently and your choice of Tank Hunter, Monster Hunter, Counterattack, or Furious Charge every single turn. Tau bring the AT firepower, 'Crons bring the melee support and scoring. Also, keep in mind some of the weird interactions like Night Fighting with Zandy out.

I think you're overinvesting in Scarabs there- take some smaller units, pump them up with Spyders (remember RP works against the wound you can take from building more little dudes) and hide them behind stuff. They're not longer uncontrollable murder to vehicles- they can be decent, but they're mostly for finishing things off or delaying them.

Warlord traits of note for Zandy: Reroll 1s to hit in shooting, Reroll 1s in melee, Fearless/IWND, Stealth/MTC (Ruins), reroll reserves, +/-1 reserves, reroll morale, +1VP for winning a challenge. Also remember that once you switch you are allowed to stick with the same trait for several turns (as switching is optional) if you want and that he can actually duplicate his original warlord trait once (as he is only prohibited from choosing the same trait more than once.)

This was the first time fielding new crons so just trying stuff out.

With the scarabs, the formation only gets one spyder, so I don't know if I can truly "pump" them up. 8-9 might be overkill, but we will see. Even with 17 scarabs, I only did 4 hull points on his knight. You can't count on averages in 40k.

Only problem with using the Canoptek harvest for pumping up scarabs is the harvest is only 1 spyder and he is the key to the formation. you kill him the formation no longer gets the bonus.  

You can take multiple Spyders in the formation. You're allowed to take options for all of the units in the formation, including the option of adding additional models where appropriate.

Dont think so.  It is specific of "one spyder"  the others in teh formation say "1-x units of".  but the spyder refers to only 1.  I would love it if it was a unit of spyders, but you know RAW......

I would think you would have to take multiple formations. 

• Like 1

Dont think so.  It is specific of "one spyder"  the others in teh formation say "1-x units of".  but the spyder refers to only 1.  I would love it if it was a unit of spyders, but you know RAW......

I would think you would have to take multiple formations. 

yup just one.  Same as all the Formations.  it tells you very specifically what you can take and how many of them.  Otherwise people would be showing up with 6 MC's in their Dark Artisan formations and so on.  

Just one Spyder.

Yeah, that 1 spyder thing is dumb. Just kill the Spyder...done :dry:

Especially since everything is generated from the Spyder. Easiest formation to shut down.

That was my thought on the issue. Either they hide the spyder and limit their movement (since they have to be what 12"? from the spyder) or the spyder gets nuked and they are SOL.