Circular Debates over Assault Rules - Was: New C:SM Stuff

pretre

Page 9 is pretty clear that units are made of models, or a model.

If your IC joins a unit, that means he is one of the models in the unit.

If the assault restrictions say a unit cannot assault after arriving from deep strike, and any of the models in that unit did arrive from deep strike, then saying the unit didn't arrive from deep strike is just a lie.

A unit is a collection of models, but there is a distinction between model and unit in the rules. You might have seen it. :)

On a side note, how does your stance apply to units made entirely of ICs? It is completely within the rules to do this. How does one determine the original unit?

In example, if an IC deepstrikes and joins another IC already on the table, can they assault? How about if one disembarks a transport (without assault vehicle)?

Disembark is by model.

Disembark is by model.

Okay, so my captain disembarks his rhino and joins a chappy who's been just standing there (probably lost in prayer). Can they assault?

Or rather, which is the unit?

Okay, so my IC disembarks his rhino and joins a chappy who's been just standing there (probably lost in prayer). Can they assault?

Or rather, which is the unit?

No, disembark is restricted by model. Neither. They are a unit together. Check out the IC rules.

No, disembark is restricted by model. Neither. They are a unit together. Check out the IC rules.

Right....AND THE SAME RULES GOVERN JOINING AN ASSAULT SQUAD! They are a unit together.

Right....AND THE SAME RULES GOVERN JOINING AN ASSAULT SQUAD! They are a unit together.

Exactly. You're proving my point.

The reason the two IC's can't assault is one of them disembarked, which checks whether you can assault by model. A model disembarked, no assault.

If the two IC's had one that deep struck and one that didn't, they could assault. They are a unit together and the unit didn't deep strike; the unit can assault.

If the two IC's had one that deep struck and one that didn't, they could assault. They are a unit together and the unit didn't deep strike; the unit can assault.

This really works in your head?

So we have two units of ICs. One can't assault and the other can. They join together in the movement phase and now both models assault as a new unit?

Even if this is correct, which I am positive it isn't, if someone tried this, I'd quit - at best. This is a completely unreasonable interpretation of the rules.

Deep Strike: "In that turn’s Assault phase, however, these units cannot charge. This also applies to

units that have disembarked from Transports that arrived by Deep Strike that turn."

Heavy Weapons: "Models that shoot with Heavy weapons in the
Shooting phase cannot charge in the ensuing Assault phase."

Disembarking: "After disembarking, models can manifest their psychic powers and either shoot or Run in
their subsequent Shooting phase, counting as having moved that turn, but they cannot
declare a charge in their subsequent Assault phase."

Go to Ground: "A unit that has Gone to Ground cannot move, Run or charge."

etc, so on.

This really works in your head?

So we have two units of ICs. One can't assault and the other can. They join together in the movement phase and now both models assault as a new unit?

Even if this is correct, which I am positive it isn't, if someone tried this, I'd quit - at best. This is a completely unreasonable interpretation of the rules.

That's what the rules say. I may not like it, but that's what they say. I think this interpretation is the most debateable, but the others are much more clear.

That's what the rules say. I may not like it, but that's what they say. I think this interpretation is the most debateable, but the others are much more clear.

Okay, so given our "social contract" in 40k. How is this one played?

Okay, so given our "social contract" in 40k. How is this one played?

The social contract is largely irrelevant to RAW discussions.

In a real game, I wouldn't do it. Again, what I would or would not do largely has nothing to do with RAW. There are a great many RAW things that I, and many others, skip during games or choose not to use.

The social contract is largely irrelevant to RAW discussions.

In a real game, I wouldn't do it.

Though RAW is largely irrelevant to playing 40k, if you haven't noticed... :wink::laugh:

Can you clarify "I wouldn't do it"?

Though RAW is largely irrelevant to playing 40k, if you haven't noticed... :wink::laugh:

Can you clarify "I wouldn't do it"?

I have said, now at least three times in this thread, that I would not use these corner rules interactions (joining ICs and assaulting from deep strike, joining IC's and assaulting from reserves, etc) without a clear FAQ ruling. I don't know how to be any clearer about this.

In my games, again I have been very clear about this in my time on these boards, I do not use unfavorable rules interactions that are not faq'd/commonly agreed upon.

Well, I'm done with this one. I wish it could have come to a conclusion, but an impasse will do, I suppose. I agree that we disagree and I'm happy you've no intentions to try any of this in real game.

Thank you very much for you participation (Pretre, Necrontyr, AbusePuppy, Fluger and a few others).

See you on another thread.

EDIT: Mod, please close this one....