The Age of Sigmar begins...

It's a cross between baby's first war game and Magic Unglued.

LOL! choice.

I am actually stoked to play with my 9 year old daughter, who has already taken up painting along side me.  It's going to be fun!

If 9th edition never materializes, there's the Scandinavian 8th edition tournament dudes who are making 8.5, and there will be other fan-driven games, too.  As long as GW is pushing out great models, all is not lost.

To be honest right now my biggest concern for my WFB gaming future is GW's artistic direction with AoS so far... doesn't touch the better WFB model lines (WoC, DE, Brets, OK, O&G, etc.)

• Like 1

WHAT?!?!?

We crush you, Pax-Pax! We have super tech! Vechicles old hat-hat for us, man-thing!

Me show!!

BEHOLD!!!!!!!!!!

3.jpg

And what toughness value does that thing have? Or does it have AV, like a vehicle.....

And what toughness value does that thing have? Or does it have AV, like a vehicle.....

Toughness? It very tough-tough!

Each turn when it rolls into enemy, it causes d3 'Mortal Wounds' (wounds with no save of any kind allowed) Makes much man-thing jelly-paste!

And zap-crackle man-things with warp-lightning! Smell of man-things burning is -good-good-!

Wheel has 8 Wounds! HA! Man-thing vehicles die with 4 glances!

(of course, this rickety wheel of wood and metal only has a 4+ save. LOL).

One thing I've seemed to notice so far is that -anything- can wound -anything-. Even if you need a 6 to hit and a 6 to wound, and the bad guy has a 2+ to save, I've not yet seen anything that was impervious to damage (i.e. Toughness was too high for low-STR to harm it). And I actually haven't seen anything yet with a save better than 3+... and no invuln saves  yet (that I've seen), though I haven't looked through EVERY list yet.

I just get the feeling that everything seems quite a bit more 'killable'.

• Like 1

I'm totally teasing for those that don't seem to get it.

I am too, of course. :)

I don't think WHFB 'vehicles' ever had an AV value. I think they've always had a Toughness value. Honestly, I've almost always played armies without any such vehicles (until this last edition), so I am definitely not the best person to know. :)

Yea now it's just roll dice and on a 4+ 4+ or 'gasps' a 5+ or 3+ you take a wound and have 4+ or worse to save... Seriously this game is incredibly dumber. I actually love most of the abilities but I'm just not seeing the gameplay of whatever the [big bad swear word] u want to bring really working. They need to address that if they don't want to lose everyone. Right now looks like the rage of [big bad swear word] more is on.. but they need to patch it up to bring me in. Hopefully some addendum comes out or there's a fuller rules release. Until then I'll rock on with 8th.. plus I have to for ofcc any ways lol

• Like 3

Yea now it's just roll dice and on a 4+ 4+ or 'gasps' a 5+ or 3+ you take a wound and have 4+ or worse to save... Seriously this game is incredibly dumber. I actually love most of the abilities but I'm just not seeing the gameplay of whatever the [big bad swear word] u want to bring really working. They need to address that if they don't want to lose everyone. Right now looks like the rage of [big bad swear word] more is on.. but they need to patch it up to bring me in. Hopefully some addendum comes out or there's a fuller rules release. Until then I'll rock on with 8th.. plus I have to for ofcc any ways lol

I agree...after watching that game...wow...run across and smash then roll those 4+,3+ and remove models...shake repeat. Hopefully I roll 4+ better than my opponent. It is sad because I love the history (fluff) and models that GW comes out with but if there is no substance to this game...why play it. I also agree that the abilities of units seems cool and makes it interesting but if they can't get that game mechanics of moving and having some strategy there...I most likely will not be playing this. 

Maybe this sets Mantic up and KofW to take over this no dry field that GW has left...Might be walking over to them...will see.

You won't like that particular attention. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a successful GW boycott. Maybe this time though.

I like the warseer forum's poll about whose gonna play AoS. 100s of votes with 75% not playing.

I would like that attention. I'd rather see Fantasy die than see this crap.

bk's assessment:

Good for little rumbles, makes it all way more beer and pretzels.

Lots of dice rolls and the math is not too bad (I was a bit dubious about it being too much), seems pretty simple overall.

I can see games with more that 100 models going on for 2 hours or more if you have 2 savvy players.  Sudden death my left foot.

It is interesting that if you just want to smash it up you get right into dice rolling and if you were trying to be strategic about it you could dance around each other all day...I am not sure how two people with different play styles will get along in this version, it will be an interesting experiment to pit an up the gut player against a tactician.  I envision fisticuffs (okay maybe not that bad but...)

I think my only large complaint besides losing my structure and what I feel was an interesting tactical challenge on the table is the heavy reliance on the war scrolls and remembering the situational rules for each, including the terrain. (bolded for emphasis because it is a pretty big deal around my continued interest)

The looseness of the system is both a strength and a weakness.  Stacking a 'self imposed' structure on it will lead back to the bad ol' days of arguments internally in clubs, clubs against clubs and even on a region by region level on who has the right balanced structure.

As its own game, it is intriguing, but it really isn't an adequate replacement for 8th for the major points so I hope there is a 9th edition.  This seems like maybe an 'experiment'.

• Like 3