The Age of Sigmar begins...

But with so many other great games out there why should I spend my time and money on a game that only has "potential"?

AoS is more of a skirmish game now and I already own and have played many Skirmish games better designed than this. Krosmaster is a game aimed at the 6-8+ crowd with simple LoS, movement and special abilities rules. It is meant to get kids into gaming. And this is the only game I can think of that compares to AoS. I have played so many different games out there and I can say the more I read the rules and go over scenarios in my head it just fails to impress.

I really wanted GW to surprise me but I kept my expectations low because I didn't want to be too disappointed. But the more I run through the rules the more I realize this is worse than my lowest expectations. If I want to play a very simple easy game I already have them. I want WHFB to be the complex game that is larger in scope than all my other games. But now it is the most simple game I own.

Zombicide is my Beer and Pretzel game so I don't need AoS to fill that space. So either I stick to 8th or just forget that place that WHFB held, a tactically complex game.

I am hoping something happens in the next month that turns this around or I will focus my attention on Malifaux and Infinity more. Also Armada, a simple game with a complex degree of tactics based on special model rules and upgrades, but done right.

You know, you could look at this as an opportunity. Just stick with 8th, and enjoy having a complete final rules system. Additionally, you can just focus on completing your collection of models for WHFB. I think you're in a great space to do it. :D 

• Like 1

Lady Atia on Twitter has been posting White Dwarf pics all day.

I threw them up on my blog for those interested.

Includes all the variants of the Liberators' date=' the Celestant, and a ton of assorted pictures of them "in action".[/quote']
Pics

cjyp3a8veaafleu.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjyp3dwucaa2vns.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjyp3jeuaaakc8p.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjyp7fzumaayoc8.jpg?w=450&h=338
cjyp24svaaafzih.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjypdikusaaotat.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjypdwwveaa2bub.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjypedvuwaas53y.jpg?w=450&h=338
cjyper6umaeszlq.jpg?w=450&h=338
cjyphutuaaauai7.jpg?w=338&h=450
cjyp-ibuyaady-3.jpg?w=450&h=338

Looks to be 5 Liberators to a box, with sword or hammer options (2-handers of each for the champions). Am I the only one who thinks the starter kit ones actually look far better in terms of posing ect?

Has anyone else caught on to the fact that wounds spill over? A single attack doing 3 wounds spills over into other models.

4. Determine Damage: Once all of the attacks made by a unit have been carried out, each successful attack in icts a number of wounds equal to the Damage characteristic of the weapon. Most weapons have a Damage characteristic of 1, but some can in ict 2 or more wounds, allowing them to cause grievous injuries to even the mightiest foe, or to cleave through more than one opponent with but a single blow!

The video in the thread didn't notice it, and people are missing it I think.

Makes single models vs big blocks much more frightening.

• Like 1

Has anyone else caught on to the fact that wounds spill over? A single attack doing 3 wounds spills over into other models.

Nice catch!

• Like 1

Yeah we played that way in our first game.  Carnosaur ate a  whole unit of executioners lol

This is what I see:

AoS will be driven entirely by campaigns. There will be no point values because the Battleplans/campaigns will explicitly declare which units are available for use, and what size to bring them in. The starter set will contain models from two factions.

Expansions will bring in other factions with other missions and campaigns, and will explicitly declare what can be used. Chances are it will be less AvB as time goes forward, as you could field one of multiple factions for future Battleplans.

As long as you stick to a Battleplan, I think it will be fairly enjoyable.

However, I think until something drastic happens (driven by GW, or the community) tournament play for AoS is a no go.

Except the last scenario says bring all the additional figs you want. Ugh. I like the idea of campaigns/scenarios, but i also prefer something that at least offers some semblance of equity between the two forces present.

Hah... missed that line. Gah, this no comp thing is just amazingly stupid.

I'm really curious about what they're going to do with the background. The Old World had a rich background, with lots of info fleshing out the day-to-day lives of inhabitants. That background was a huge force in me choosing the armies I've done - not just the big battles, but the daily lives of the common man/elf. Likewise, 40k has an incredible background - a lot of their Black Library novels have captured what it's like to live while trapped as a cog within the endless mechanisms of the Imperium. I feel the same way about Infinity, Warmachine, Malifaux, etc. Basically, if there's enough background to make for an interesting RPG campaign, I'm into it. 

The initial fluff posted seems to be "ALL WAR ALL THE TIME IN A LAND OF MYTHICAL FOREVERWAR!!!!!". I'm curious to see if they flesh it out in a meaningful way, beyond battles, in the full Age of Sigmar book. 

• Like 2

The initial fluff posted seems to be "ALL WAR ALL THE TIME IN A LAND OF MYTHICAL FOREVERWAR!!!!!". I'm curious to see if they flesh it out in a meaningful way, beyond battles, in the full Age of Sigmar book. 

Yeah, I want to read the fluffy bits of the book in the box / big book they are releasing.

In the Grim Darkness of the distant Past... THERE IS ONLY WAR!!!!!!!"

• Like 2