Abusing the Battle Company

I like this and all, but it wont be allowed under current ITC rules as you cant have more than one of the same detachment. ITC is where I spend most of my list building.

I have never played in an ITC event and don't think I ever will so that's not much of a concern for me.

I do think Drop Pods are the more powerful option for this type of build. Razorspam is cute (especially with Scout) but deep striking oodles of ObSec units is ridiculously hard to deal with!

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Consider also that the razors are kicking out significantly more shooting.

Agreed razors in quantity are much better, but 2-3 av 12 that pop on the board and secure an objective is something you force your opponent to deal with and also the passengers can be threatening with short range fire power.

I believe a mix and match of pods and razors is the way to go, also it doesn't force you to take white scars for scout moves, so you can look at other tactics

• Like 1

And in my Necron army, if I take a reclamation legion and two canoptek harvests, it forms a Decurion.  But that was voted on and not allowed.  So it doesn't matter that two Demi Companies form a Battle Company, it's still composed of two of something, which is not allowed.

• Like 2

And in my Necron army, if I take a reclamation legion and two canoptek harvests, it forms a Decurion. But that was voted on and not allowed. So it doesn't matter that two Demi Companies form a Battle Company, it's still composed of two of something, which is not allowed.

I agree with your logic but there is design mechanic aside from list building that this rule would destroy.

Like right now you dont get rule synergies in decurions for having duplicate formations unlike the battle company which is.

One was a balance decision outside the game and the other now becomes a design override

Well, then people should have been a lot more cautious when they voted.  It didn't take a genius to see that detachments were getting unique buffs, and that detachments within detachments were the future.

But in any case, I have no problem altering the rule, but not altering it just for space marines.  If multiple formations/detachments are allowed because now the game has Battle Companies, there can be no justification for not allowing multiple formations/detachments for everyone.

• Like 2

That is not the answer to this; in fact, it makes it worse.

Even if it did help, it isn't a solution because no one is going to play 3 4 hour rounds in a one day event.

I wasn't really addressing that. All this talk of battle companies just makes me want to field more marines is all...

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

The point is the new codex has a formation that is fairly low in cost possibly low enough to fit in 1500 it has 2 formations in it making it itc tourney rules illegal

• Like 1

So, all these bits about free vehicles, but between that eldar book and the admech books, vehicles may as well be free most of the time.

Haywire is downright common in admech lists, despite being absolutely rare prior to that. D weapons are common in the eldar book. Both melt though vehicles like paper. Making Rhinos free is hardly a bonus when you need the rhinos to melt instead of your marines against the turn 1 shooting of admech or eldar.