Mixing it up for beers?

As we all know, NYP has been steadily increasing their prices on beers, pizzas, and everything in between for the a while now. With their latest price hike/menu shuffle, we've been doing some grumbling about trying a new place, but we haven't really done much about it yet. After talking it over some last night, we were thinking maybe next week might be a good time to give it a shot. 

We were thinking Bayou on Bay which has Happy Hour starting at 10 for cheap pints and a selection of cheap food (hush puppies, wings, etc).

I'm not for sure saying we make this a permanent change from NYP yet, but I think it would be worth it to try something else out. What do you guys think? 

• Like 2

We were thinking Bayou on Bay which has Happy Hour starting at 10 for cheap pints and a selection of cheap food (hush puppies, wings, etc).

I'm pretty unexcited about Bayou on Bay. They close at 11 (we're usually out until 11:30 or so). The happy hour food looks like a bunch of fried fish and starch ( http://www.allmenus.com/wa/bellingham/291608-bayou-on-bay/menu/ ). For me, it's not worth saving $1 on beer.

I'm up for exploring comparable options, but I don't think Bayou on Bay is it.

Late night options:

Copper Hog is open til 1, but if you thought NYP prices were bad!

Horeshoe. Open til 2, but I'll pass.

That dumpling place. Do they even have beer?

Casa Que Pasa

I'm not seeing many other options late on Tuesdays. Also, inflation happens. 

(Assuming y'all want within walking distance?)

McKay's Taphouse up on East Maple right before motel row is a good spot in case you're not just walking.

Lots of beers, pizza by the slice, other things like wings, etc. and is open I believe til 0000 hours on Tuesdays.

Side note:  I'm actually going to make a concerted effort to come down and watch the gaming goodness on weeks when Dawson's at his mom's house.  So in case you see me lurking, please be kind!  ha ha

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

i'd be interested in Bayou but knowing they close at 11:00 is a little bit of a downer. The Grand is alright, it gets a little loud but ive never been on a tuesday. I would also be interested in Mckays since they have a great selection of beer and good pizza, its a bit of a drive from the shop but not crazy.

Basically im open for trying anything other than New York, I think its absurd how expensive their beers are considering this town has a ton of breweries and bars. 

Well I'd say McKay's was a bust in my book. I'm not sure if the people that just got slices fared better, but Brad and I splitting a pizza ended up about the same as our most recent NYP tabs which was fine, but I didn't like the spread out seating or the noisy atmosphere as much as our usual jam. Also parking was terrible.

What did you guys think?

• Like 1

No worries at all, Don, it was worth the try! Seems like the kind of place I'd like to hang out, it was just really noisy and hard to talk. Post game-night conversation is what it's all about.

Hey Joey, that wasn't a "my way or the high way" ultimatum, was it? Cuz that would make me really sad if you stopped coming out with us. I hope you give other places a try. I don't get to hang out with you often, so I really enjoy it when I do get to. I just hope we find a place that works for everyone.

Costwise, I spent as much at McKays as I do at the new NYP prices, for less food and worse food. It was $8.00 for a toasted veggie-and-cheese sandwich with a bag of potato chips. A 10" pizza (my usual fare) would have cost me $15 instead of $7. I think it comes down to the fact that old NYP prices were a screaming deal for good food.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.