Mixing it up for beers?

Here it is: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/business/article150678067.html

Apparently, the internet says that the owner of NYP was a jerk, and this is not the first time he's racked up lots of business debt and declared bankruptcy (last time was to the tune of millions). Seems like expanding to Seattle was the death blow here. At least, that's what they say. The real reason? They should have never changed the fries.

• Like 2

Sacha stopped by Rook & Rogue (or whatever the gaming pub is) and inquired about their hours, and the flexibility of said hours for accomodating a homeless bunch of gamers.  Right now they close at ten, but maybe we should go before closing some Tuesday to see if it would be a good fit and if they would be flexible in keeping their kitchen open Tuesdays.

I demand a field trip report from the Horseshoe!

I'd totally be down with making R&R work, but I'm worried about the effect on my under-employed Warhamster brethren. The prices are on the high side for Bellingham. Still, I'd love to support them and could think of no more fitting place for gamers than a gaming bar.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

I demand a field trip report from the Horseshoe!

I'd totally be down with making R&R work, but I'm worried about the effect on my under-employed Warhamster brethren. The prices are on the high side for Bellingham. Still, I'd love to support them and could think of no more fitting place for gamers than a gaming bar.

Agreed on both accounts, the needs of the group are high especially as I rarely stay out late enough to partake and thereby support

I'll make sure to report back on how the Shoe goes tonight. I'd also love it if we could go to the Rook & Rogue, but their hours are the biggest concern for me. Their prices really aren't too far off from what we're likely to find most places that aren't millions in debt and going bankrupt like our old stomping grounds.

Trip Report:

The Shoe was great! Beer was incredibly cheap with a decent selection. No particularly dark beers this week, but they did have Mac & Jacks and $10 pitchers or $4 pints during their Tuesday All-Day Happy Hour special. The pitchers made about 3.5 glasses so... $2.86 a pint? Pretty great. They also had $3 wells or wine for non-beer folk. As for food, they had a good assortment of <$10 bar snacks as well as a $7.50 Bar Burger that doesn't come with fries. They also had a pretty decent sandwich, burger, and salad menu with prices around $10 for the entrees. The new Ranch Room is very nicely refurbished with nice big tables, good lighting levels, and no loud music or anything. The place was also fairly deserted on a Tuesday night so good news there. Service was order-at-the-bar, which was fine by me and the kitchen time was reasonable. With the better beer prices and slightly spendier food prices, I'd say it actually balances out pretty well to what we were paying at NYP. Food quality might be a little lower, but it depends on what you're after.

Food quality is drastically lower at the Shoe compared to NYP and their food wasn't even that great. Prices are probably actually a little high for what you get. Beer prices are good though. I mean it isn't the worst and they do have lots of options. Its also not very good. I don't particularly care though.

I agree with Joey on the food, prices were ok at best and the quality was not great. That being said, I think New York was a steal on some of their happy hour food items like pizza so we might need to just suck it up and realize we were getting a great deal, which could be why they went under.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.