Superheavies and OFCC

InfestedKerrigan

The only superheavy I played against this year was a Greater Brass Scorpion, and it rekt me. I had the tools to deal with it (theoretically at least), but my dice turned sour and I just wasn't able to get any good hits on it. Oh well, bad dice happen!

Oh and the fact that he also had seven or eight Soulgrinders may have had something to do with my loss.

• Like 2

The only superheavy I played against this year was a Greater Brass Scorpion, and it rekt me. I had the tools to deal with it (theoretically at least), but my dice turned sour and I just wasn't able to get any good hits on it. Oh well, bad dice happen!

Oh and the fact that he also had seven or eight Soulgrinders may have had something to do with my loss.

Ouch.

WOWA.  That army was at OFCC?

I took a Baneblade to this year's OFCC. While none of my opponents told me they didn't want to play against it, I felt that it definitely caused unbalanced games overall. I had a great time with each of my games but they all devolved into "can my opponent kill the Baneblade", which is not where I want to be at OFCC. I don't want my opponent's dedicated anti-infantry units to have nothing to do.

I had 5 great games, but I won't be taking a superheavy next year.

• Like 5

I took a Baneblade to this year's OFCC. While none of my opponents told me they didn't want to play against it, I felt that it definitely caused unbalanced games overall. I had a great time with each of my games but they all devolved into "can my opponent kill the Baneblade", which is not where I want to be at OFCC. I don't want my opponent's dedicated anti-infantry units to have nothing to do.

Lol.  I want talking about that.  I was talking about the list in general.  It wasnt the super heavy that surprised me.  Even Rory took one (albeit his list was otherwise not imposing).

How different is that from bringing a list with lots of flyers?

Lol.  I want talking about that.  I was talking about the list in general.

I know you weren't talking about my army, my comment wasn't in response to yours.

The Brass Scorpion/Soulgrinder army was not a good fit for OFCC in my opinion - it was actually an 1850 list. The player didn't add 150 points to make it more "fair", but I think it still won all of its games. I kinda threw Ed under the bus by pairing him against it lol.

How different is that from bringing a list with lots of flyers?

Not very different. I don't think lots of flyers (or any extreme list) should be common at OFCC either, though ironically two of my players from this year ran the Storm Wing formation.

I've run Land Raider lists themed around this sort of thing. But with a Land raider, the Opponent really should be able to cope with overpriced AV14 spam which includes very little damage output. The game does break down into me focusing on the units that can damage me, and them having many units which become objective holders instead of their normal roles. Tyranids in particular, often struggle against Land Raider lists.

Though this isn't because any army lacks the tools, anymore, it's just a list creation thing. Anti-AV14 should be very easy to acquire in any army and I'd shouldn't design the list handicapped for players that don't bring the tools they need. Baneblades are easily one of the weakest super heavy options (for the most part, I'd rate them lower than imperial knights).

But that said, I have run into the situation you describe for your baneblade, but with my land raiders, and it's annoying for both players, because the game is unbalanced by the presence of something they really can't cope with adequately. It's a bad list match-up, not really an issue in any other way because in both respects, the player's lists are fine for other opponents and this rare situation is what creates the issue.

As far as balanced lists and OFCC are concerned, this is why we have Team Captains. All captains should be engaging their opponents in conversations to setup good matchups so that no one is stuck fighting a battle that is already lost.

It does not always work. We had great luck with everyone policing the power level of their lists this year and it made for some even matchups for the majority of people.

Being a Tyranid player myself, I would hate to be surprised by getting to a table and seeing a Brass Scorpion on the other side because my list does not have the tools to deal with it. However, someone else on my team hopefully would have a list that could and that list would play against the Brass Scorpion.

We will be having a Senate Meeting this weekend. If anyone has a desire to be HoG for OFCC 2017, we would love to have you come down and give us your ideas.

• Like 1

As far as balanced lists and OFCC are concerned, this is why we have Team Captains. All captains should be engaging their opponents in conversations to setup good matchups so that no one is stuck fighting a battle that is already lost.

That is one of things I really like about the OFCC.