Rudra's Super Special Infinity Blog

rudra34

I beat laziness and did a thing!  Now it's time for work!

photo%201_4.jpg

Edit:  Looking at this picture now is really showing off how my camera turns many blue shades into ONE blue.   The "eye" is my first gem/eye/lens that I've tried to do proper, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

• Like 2

Had a good couple days of getting manhandled with my MO while testing out the impetuous swarm of magisters.  They did alright, but are about 500% more effective in a link.  Because of that, they will remain that way in future games!   I'm going to bring them for one more week, then change the list up and focus on learning other things. 

On the hobby front I got absolutely nothing done on terrain last week.  Instead, I painted a few models and spent a lot of time cleaning the house and working on halloween shizzle.  This week I hope to get at least a few things done, but my focus may stay on painting while I have momentum going. 

Coming in next week's list: attack of the bots!

• Like 1

Yeah magisters are just so cost effective. Panzers as a 2 burst aro is incredibly scary and with the +3bs you really have to think twice about shooting at them and generally using an expensive model to shoot them is a tough decision of risk. Not to mention you get them close and they have shotguns or will murder most things in cc. I really like them... The issue with hospitallers and other knights is just you put a lot of eggs in the basket. Magisters are cheap and let you bring other scary things. You really had some bad luck today. I recall at least 3-4 situations where odds were not good for me and I got lucky... It will even out eventually. You know a 'nate' day is due. about your robot list.. whats in it? I'll bring mine lol

The sarge definitely looks nice although the loin cloth is a little hard to read with it having the same tone as the armor.  

As for crits and luck, crits have been my least favorite part of Infinity since I started.  I was hoping N3 would do more to rein them in, but alas Corvis is still very European in their game design.

• Like 1

I have the same feelings on the loin cloth.  From the sides it's not as bad as the inside is black and creates pretty good contrast.  My only other options were to go with red or grey.  I didn't want to go with red as I wanted the majority of the model to be lighter, and grey seemed like it would just distract from the contrast between white and red.  I dunno, I thought about it and decided that I'd stick with white.

I actually love the crit system. It is a 5% chance, and often crits happen on non-lethal rolls anyway. Some weapons hardly ever crit at all (most teardrop templates). But to me, it is the great equalizer, where any grunt has that potential for the miracle shot against even the mightiest foe. I am not at all interested in seeing GW-like invulnerable stuff in this game.

The system was used almost exactly in Warzone, one of my other favorite games ever. I've had games when i have rolled 2-3 crits, and i have gone games where i didnt crit at all.

I have the same feelings on the loin cloth.  From the sides it's not as bad as the inside is black and creates pretty good contrast.  My only other options were to go with red or grey.  I didn't want to go with red as I wanted the majority of the model to be lighter, and grey seemed like it would just distract from the contrast between white and red.  I dunno, I thought about it and decided that I'd stick with white.

You don't need to change the colors, but instead the level of tonal contrast.  Even going a little deeper on the cloth (can't really go higher) would give it some nice pop next to that armor.

I actually love the crit system. It is a 5% chance, and often crits happen on non-lethal rolls anyway. Some weapons hardly ever crit at all (most teardrop templates). But to me, it is the great equalizer, where any grunt has that potential for the miracle shot against even the mightiest foe. I am not at all interested in seeing GW-like invulnerable stuff in this game.

The system was used almost exactly in Warzone, one of my other favorite games ever. I've had games when i have rolled 2-3 crits, and i have gone games where i didnt crit at all.

Crits are a 5% chance per shot and that assumes you're not over 20 on the stat (eg Neko Oyama crits on a 7+ with his AP+EXP swords),  An HMG or Spitfire has a 20% chance to crit every time it fires which is a far cry from the 5% you're quoting.  I'm also really not sure where you're getting that they're often not lethal as the vast majority of models in the game cannot take more than one wound and the guns with the highest chance to crit also have the easiest access to Shock ammo making resuscitation impossible.

Also, anecdotal evidence isn't exactly the strongest way to go.  Back when WHFB was a thing I faced off against those invulnerable units all the time and I had plenty of games where they did nothing at all.  Doesn't make them well designed.

I'm not saying that crits should be gone as they are an easy answer to a problem that could emerge from armor skewing, but that they're still too powerful.  I'd love it if crits did all the things they do now, but instead of an autowound just ignored armor/BTS that way you'd still have a chance to save against it.  This would also help differentiate gun profiles even more as a crit right now with a pistol versus a railgun do the same amount of damage.  

CC is an interesting conundrum, since typically you get only a single swing. When a CC monster is fighting against a pleb, I kinda expect the CC monster to be able to crit more often, but it's still not guaranteed by any means. Of course, the pleb could still crit, too, or even beat the CC monster's roll, at least giving him a chance to win. When two CC monsters go at it, there's a little play with skills and whatnot, but often you still end up with pretty high strike ranges anyway. And EXP weapons are pretty rare to begin with. It's not like every model (or many models, really) have them. I really don't see a problem with the mechanic, myself.

Each dice still only has a 5% chance to crit. You can't guarantee that rolling 20 dice is going to net you one of each number, just like you can't guarantee flipping a coin twice will net you one head and one tail. ;) And like I said - I've seen plenty of games where I didn't roll a single crit - or my opponent didn't roll a single crit. So far, the average I've seen is 2-3 a game - which feels right to me. And it doesn't insta-kill models with more than one W or STR, either, so they do have a little bit of protection that basic troopers do not.

Regardless, rolling 5 dice and one of them coming up a crit doesn't bother me - especially since such weapons are usually fairly limited by SWC. If a 15 man force had 15 Spitfires, I might see that as cause for concern. But I don't.

And anecdotal evidence sure does seem kinda important to me - since I am far more likely to go by my own experience rather than what others fear or don't like. It's part of how we form our own opinions, based off our own experiences, etc.

I respectfully disagree that they are 'too powerful'. But to each their own. ;)

-Tim