Snow!!! (Portland)

Yeah, got some slush on the ground, and on the roofs (or is it rooves?),  where I'm at. Kinda disappointed. 

Yesterday when I posted this, it was 33 degrees with an estimated high of 37 degrees. Last night, around 10pm, it was 36 degrees, so it was actually warmer late at night than it was in the day... And I overdressed, so I was very toasty coming home from that GG sale. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, real snow this time. Two failed attempts with dusty snow, and now we have some snowman-grade snow! I think this is my favorite winter in at least 10 years, by a pretty wide margin, at least weather wise. Been having great weather. 

Yeah, I've seen the news reports from Portland. Panzy ass dandies. Rogue Valley, too. Transit shut down for one or two days, government offices, too. Bend wouldn't delay school for what we had here. Blows my [big bad swear word]ing mind.

The Portland metro has about 20 times the population of the Bend metro and I'm willing to bet Bend has more snowplows.

Yes, people don't know how to drive in it around here. That being said, when there's not enough plows to even come close to removing snow, a foot of snow is going to shut down any part of the country, even the cool parts who 'know how to drive in snow'.

From Portland's Website:

6.     How many plow trucks does the City have?

A total of 55 trucks are fitted with snowplows and sand spreaders. These trucks are used every day for activities such as filing potholes, flushing streets, and carrying materials to and from work sites for paving. The City uses large dump trucks fitted with plows and sanders to clear streets, bridges, and overpasses of ice, snow, or slush. The full fleet includes 55 plows and sanders, 5 anti-icing trucks, 10 service trucks, 5 big-wheel loaders, 2 backhoes, 2 road graders, 2 emergency trucks, 2 street closure trucks, and 1 fuel truck.

• Like 2

That's just the cities resources, not Multnomah County or the metro?

I didn't see any inventory on here:

http://www.bendoregon.gov/government/departments/streets/street-operations/snow-and-ice-control

I understand that my growing up where I did gives me a +3 to Cockiness when making saves while operating a vehicle in the snow. That doesn't change that this is Portlands reaction everytime it snows. Perhaps I'm just town folk tired of hearing Portland cry Wolf.

I'm lived in NH for 20 years, have a 4WD vehicle and chains. I still stay in when it snows around here for the reasons I listed: Insufficient road treatment and plowing, people don't know how to drive, prevalence of ice around here due to warmer conditions and rain.

Portland itself has about 8 times the population of Bend and I still bet those 55 plows are less than Bend's.

• Like 1

Well, hasn't been snowing, but the ice/leftover snow is still here. Gotta admit, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Although I like it, I do wish it would either start actually snowing again, or just melt. 

Also, I have a rod and 5 screws in my left leg. Slipped on ice Dec 20 2005, walking from my front door to the car. I have a completely irrational fear of ice, now, yet still get pissed at people in the snow lol

So I got these "strap on" cleats for my normal boots, which really make it so you don't slip in the ice. Been wonderful. That said, I slipped several times in Winco, last night, just because I was expecting the ice instead of the concrete floors. Kinda funny, I thought in hindsight. Need to remember to take off the cleats when going into the store.