Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Wynonna Earp Season 2: Much like Season 1, there's a lot of good stuff, but the overall plot gets kind of overcomplicated and muddled and the show gets rather confusing by the end of the season. I think this is another show that suffers from being forced into Seasons and episodes of fixed length, rather than being able to let the narrative determine the length of each section and the whole.

True Blood Season 1

Rewatching the series, I've seen all, or most, of it before. This first season is great. A good 5/5. They really do a good job establishing the setting of Vampire: The Masquerade as if it was their original idea. Doesn't matter, though, this one is very well done.

WestWorld Season 2

1 of 5?  1 of 10?  Idunno...I did not enjoy it.  In the end it all felt very empty and a waste of time.  It throws complications in for the sake of complications, and weird story tricks that sure, make sense...but just never congeal.  Save yourself the 10+ hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Preacher Season 1-2.

3/5. I enjoyed it. Based on a comic of the same name. Show is very similar to that of True blood, but with less HBO sex scenes. It's a fantasy/sci-fi set, modern adventure, that doesn't really try to explain the "why" of things, and just dives into it. Lots of religious themes, but it's clear that the writers aren't marketing to religious people, so they don't even try to understand and accurately portray any religious events. I think the target audience is people that hate god, or more so, those that like telling people who believe in God that they stupid for doing so - because being an a-hole doesn't bother their sense of morality and, yet, they are bothered when people are a-holes to them...

Still, I enjoyed it. I did read the comics in the past, though never very dedicated. I note and detach myself from the themes of of the show and just watch it.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:54 AM, paxmiles said:

Good for high people too (the film is very slow paced, but features lots of colors and plot requires zero intelligence to follow). 

I take quite the offense to that, and your perception of "high people," and what they enjoy.

Legion Season 2 

X / X

Continuing on its exploration of manipulation of matter, how the brain understands its existence, the flow of time, and human connetion, the Second Season of Legion pushes the edge on neurogenesis and omega level mutants with psychotic trama.  

Season 2 is quite the Acid trip compared to Season 1's more socially friendly Mushroom trip. 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 1.

2/5

Finally finished the first season. I've started and stopped before. Show has all the elements I like in a show, but I don't like this show. Ironically, I very much enjoyed Angel, which is a spin-off (and often regarded as worse). At present, I'm barely watching while painting/assembling models. Season 2 I'm unfinished with, but it is minorly better so far. I'm thinking this show might start being good around season 3 or 4, but I'm not sure if I'll get that far.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Raindog said:

Ken Burns: Civil War. Documentaries don't get much better than this. 9/10

How unbiased does he address things? I keep looking at it, but I get tired of hearing how evil people are and horrible this, ya know? I like reading about older battles, because we are far enough removed to routinely have a disconnected, unemotional look at it. I find the Civil War and WWII docs tend to be too emotionally charged and use aggressively colored phrases. 

I've never watched any of his docs before. I decided to start with the Nam doc. So far, I'm appreciating it's approach.

Axe Cop (Season 1-2 on Hulu)

5/5

15 minute episodes. Presents as a kids show, but it's anything but. Show is about a super hero who dresses like, but is not, a police officer. Morality is really screwed up with this one and there are some rather distinct moments of sexism, but if you can get past those, it's a really cool show. As a comparison of other shows, it's like a cross between The Tick and Adventure Time, but with a serial killer as the protagonist in a setting that allows them to be a good guy (not an anti-hero, just screwed up morality in their setting). 

The Irregular at Magical High School (Anime, Hulu)

5/5

Seen this many times now. I think I rated it before, but felt it needed a re-visit on the review. Very good, but after watching it a few times, I notice that the plot is unusual in the respect that it's very right-wing political and very pro-government, with a heavy focus on why the upper-class elite deserves to be and stay the elite. Feels like propaganda and makes me wonder if there was political motivation in this particular show. Reminds of when the Red Cross inspected the Nazi Concentration camps. I don't like the political component of this show, but it is very good, despite this. 

2 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

It's written by a 6 year old, whatcha expect? Well, he was 5 when he started.

I understood morality at age 5. Honestly, feels like we unlearn morality as we age. Morality is definitley more murky now than it was. 

And for clarity, the show's ideas are by the 5-6 year old and they recieve a writters credit, but the show is really written by the older brother who is 29-30. 

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

How unbiased does he address things? I keep looking at it, but I get tired of hearing how evil people are and horrible this, ya know? I like reading about older battles, because we are far enough removed to routinely have a disconnected, unemotional look at it. I find the Civil War and WWII docs tend to be too emotionally charged and use aggressively colored phrases. 

I've never watched any of his docs before. I decided to start with the Nam doc. So far, I'm appreciating it's approach.

It has commentators from both sides. It is very neutral on both sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I understood morality at age 5. Honestly, feels like we unlearn morality as we age. Morality is definitley more murky now than it was. 

And for clarity, the show's ideas are by the 5-6 year old and they recieve a writters credit, but the show is really written by the older brother who is 29-30. 

For clarity, it is a webcomic from nearly a decade ago that got hooked up with some high tech animation.

The Gifted 

I just started this one. Set in "Modern Times" in an age where the X Men have disappeared. Not sure if it is a "nod" at Dark Phoenix, seeing as we don't have that film, yet. First character we meet is a youngish Blink, sadly not reprised by the missing Fan Bingbing of Day of Future Past, running from the cops and teleporting away. Moments later, we join various second string members of the Xmen/New Mutants. They are tracking Blink to figure out how she escaped from mutant jail, where Polaris is being kept, so as to stage a rescue. 

Maybe 5 episodes into it. So far, it's stronger than the first two seasons of The Arrow. Maybe on par with Arrow 3/Flash 1.  Doesn't feel as hard, or struggling like Legends of Tomorrow/InHumans/Runaways. Although, it has a similar dark feel as the bit of Runaways I watched.

Sharon Gless was a welcome sight as ADA Struckers mom.

Coby Bell, not so much.  We will see if he grows into his character.

• Like 2

Disenchanted Season 1 (on netflix)

5/5.

Like a 30min episode Adventure Time, but with an older target audience. That said, humor, when presented, isn't offensive and it doesn't swear. Violence isn't gorey and certainly isn't focused on, though there is blood and death at times. Main protagonist is female, but isn't overly feminine or man-hating, she has a good-average intelligence, and isn't overly sexualized.

In general, I hope this style of show catches on, and we get more like this.

I look forward to the next season.

EDIT: Rewatching. Looks like there is minor swearing in some of the episodes. Said "ass" once. Said "bitch" once in another episode. Doesn't even swear once an episode.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:41 AM, WestRider said:

Cloak & Dagger Season 1: Good stuff, but heavy. I shouldn't have watched the last couple of episodes last night, I was not in a good headspace to deal with that.

I was having a hard time getting into the pilot, and haven't tried again.  

Gifted Season 1

3/5 Stepford Cuckoos

Really, I have two complaints. Budget constraints, and inconsistent acting. Perhaps both will improve with Season 2. Hellfire Club,  Trask and the Sentinels, XMen, HYDRA, all handled pretty damn well, considering.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I was having a hard time getting into the pilot, and haven't tried again.  

Honestly, I don't really watch (or read) anything for the plot. It's all about the characters for me, and there were several I liked here. Subjectivity is a thing. It's part of why I never really give number ratings on anything.

• Like 1

The Hollow

Season 1 (On Netflix)

2/5

Not bad, just not good either. It's one of those shows where the premise of the show is that protagonists don't know what the premise of the show is and they are bent on finding out. Animated, and very likely aimed at children. It held my attention, I'll give it that. There were also a few points in the show where they got my hopes up that they were going to take it a good direction, but they didn't pan out. Definitely kid friendly and tolerable enough for adults to watch (at least the first time). Just not very good overall.

Altered Carbon (8/10) - was good, but I think the deviations from the book story were not good choices.  Worth watching, but disappointed me after fully enjoying the book.

Daredevil Season 1 (10/10) - finally finished it after a long time...was good and the character actors were well done.  Would watch again after a few years.

• Like 2

Made in Abyss (Season 1)

A solid 5/5. Definitely worth watching.

I had originally dismissed this as a kids show due to rather childish animation styles. This is not for kids. There's not really any violence or bad language, but some of the contents are the types of things that give kids nightmares. It's not scary, and is overall very upbeat, but they touch on certain subjects and images that will stick in a child's mind.

Anyway, without major spoilers, this anime show revolves around an RPG-like Dungeon which members of the protagonist's town use as a source of resources, not unlike a mine, with more deadly encounters the further one delves. The Protagonist, who unlikely no older than 12, is a headstrong girl that becomes convinced she needs to get the bottom far sooner than she is ready for. Her and a submissive male companion delve into the abyss, with the show focused on their journey.

It's mostly fantasy, though it has instances of inconsistent technology, not unlike Naruto. There are 13 episodes in the first (and only) season, each about 23 minutes long. The ending for the season is satisfying for a season end, but not for a series end. I strongly suspect a later season to be produced.