New 40k edition

pretre

I will note, since both the Warmahordes and the GW apps keep getting mentioned, is that neither company has made any effort to make those apps availible to other platforms than the initial release. I'm using a windows phone, and I still have no access to either app. So while I like the idea of putting games on apps, no game should be reliant on apps for functionality, unless the developer actually makes the app compatible with every platform. 

Anyway, I do hope the edition change is a good one. I really don't like the idea of quitting 40k, or having any large changes to the models I own. 

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I will note, since both the Warmahordes and the GW apps keep getting mentioned, is that neither company has made any effort to make those apps availible to other platforms than the initial release. I'm using a windows phone, and I still have no access to either app. So while I like the idea of putting games on apps, no game should be reliant on apps for functionality, unless the developer actually makes the app compatible with every platform. 

Anyway, I do hope the edition change is a good one. I really don't like the idea of quitting 40k, or having any large changes to the models I own. 

Yeah,this has bugged me too,,I wish they had a Win version .Ive since purchased an Nvidia shield,that is OK,,but overpriced I think,,and most recently purchased an Ipad for my wife and I to use.Tablets have come down in price quite a bit too so theres that.

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

To be fair, it does cost money to develop apps for each platform, and since no company has an infinite amount of money they have to determine which platforms will serve the most customers. And well, Android and iOS are going to serve the most customers. And while you may have a Windows phone, that platform does not have a very large market penetration. 

I mean do you think that if the apps don't work on my Blackberry as well, that GW and PP should not be putting out an app for their respective games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skkipper said:

allies: i hate them. there needs to be a cost penalty 10% or something

Yeah,chances are they will probably hit this issue rather hard since they stated they want armies to be themed and all that.In AoS its fairly well controlled with Battalion taxes and synergies,,yes you can gather the most potent from  armies within a Grand Alliance but often times the dilution of synergies makes it a marginal gain at best in effectiveness.

Gonna be intersting to see were they go with this:)

4 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

To be fair, it does cost money to develop apps for each platform, and since no company has an infinite amount of money they have to determine which platforms will serve the most customers. And well, Android and iOS are going to serve the most customers. And while you may have a Windows phone, that platform does not have a very large market penetration. 

I mean do you think that if the apps don't work on my Blackberry as well, that GW and PP should not be putting out an app for their respective games?

Oh, I agree, reasonable that they haven't produced it. But if they planned to make the game more reliant on the Apps to enjoy, I think they'd need to expand the number of platforms they support. 

You could just use an iOS/Android emulator and use either app. I don't think it's unreasonable that they haven't and have no intention to create for the Windows store given the number of reboots its gone through. This coupled with the fact that both systems still produce rules that don't care about apps makes it a moot point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kremmet said:

You could just use an iOS/Android emulator and use either app. I don't think it's unreasonable that they haven't and have no intention to create for the Windows store given the number of reboots its gone through. This coupled with the fact that both systems still produce rules that don't care about apps makes it a moot point.

Well, both warmahordes and GW could just sell PDFs, which are very compatible with most systems. And anyway, I don't really care now. But if 40k became more reliant on apps, this would become a more glaring issue. 

On 3/26/2017 at 8:08 AM, paxmiles said:

Well, both warmahordes and GW could just sell PDFs, which are very compatible with most systems.

As I alluded to in my post, Privateer does exactly that. Point is that the market speaks in this way all the time. Should I insist that every metal model have a plastic version produced as well because I only have plastic glue?

If GW really wanted to catch up with where they should be, they'd follow Corvus Belli's example and have their rules entirely free as PDFs with a free web-based army builder. They still sell physical books that contain story and the rules as they were written at each publication, but these for-purchase versions are just there for collectors and not in any way necessary to play the game.

I wrote up a blog on it but my essential impressions are positive.  I have not really ever disliked any version of 40K to be honest, but I said that about Fantasy and then the dark times came...  So I will remain positive and see what happens because my track record of having fun playing it has been too good to this point.  I've played 12 years and am always glad i started.

Here's a quick prayer for the power of discernment among the designers!

• Like 1

For simplification of the game, all I want is:

-Less pre-game random tables: switch back to buying the psychic power you want. Have players pay for the warlord trait they want. No mysterous objectives. 

-Well defined rules for use of non-GW terrain. 

-And psychic phase needs a re-work to make psychic defense into a thing again. Something simple, like instead of dispelling, having the ability to increase the warp charges required to cast.  

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

It's evolution. 

Evolution isn't always a good thing. It just needs to adopt traits that allow it to reproduce later....even terrible traits paired with lucky reproduction is enough to be considered for evolution. 

Well thats getting deeper than we probably need to go.  Lol.  the bottom line is that change is inevitable and the older you are, the less you like it as a rule.  So that's just life.  

In the meantime GW has a company to run and models to sell so they are going to do what they need to do...and so it every player making a decision on it.  

Personally, I would judge it after about 25 or 30 games.  Until then there is literally almost no commentary that will be worth the time to actually type.  One can imagine all manner of daemons but the only ones that matter are the ones that are real.  =)

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Well thats getting deeper than we probably need to go.  Lol.  the bottom line is that change is inevitable and the older you are, the less you like it as a rule.  So that's just life.  

In the meantime GW has a company to run and models to sell so they are going to do what they need to do...and so it every player making a decision on it.  

Personally, I would judge it after about 25 or 30 games.  Until then there is literally almost no commentary that will be worth the time to actually type.  One can imagine all manner of daemons but the only ones that matter are the ones that are real.  =)

Yeah, too deep. Sorry about that.

I just hope GW is smart enough to get some playtesting in before they decide on a new ruleset.

As for sales, I'd keep buying models if the edition never changed and they just focused on expansions+models. An edition change, for me, risks loss of my dollar with no potential gain for GW. Seems silly to change editions.

Presently, my main rulebook is showing wear, so I'd be getting a new one sooner if I wasn't concerned with the rules change. I also cancelled the mastodon order because I don't know what next edition will bring for FW models. That's two sales already that GW doesn't have in their pocket because of the threat of edition change.

Completely fair and expected outcome.  i imagine GW thought this would happen as they made announcements.  It's a necessary lull befopre the storm of new purchases they will be flooded with.  

No surprise that they are in no hurry to tell anyone until they have to when they are working up new editions.