2019 OFCC 40K Team Event Players Guide - Version 1

8 minutes ago, KevinC said:

Back in the day, some of us were trying to make up a "counts as" force using the models in the bucket, as I recall. There has to be enough models in there for several armies, now.

That sounds like it would be a great "Lost and the Damned" force.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the updates!

Also, my question:

On 3/16/2019 at 7:03 AM, Munkie said:

2) Index options. Are we doing the flowchart? If we are allowed index options that codices lack, do we pay the index cost for guns and equipment, codex cost, or highest cost as a penalty for tricksiness?

...appears to have been lost in all the side convos of page 1. 

What say ye?

• Like 1

I have two questions: 

One, will the beta "Bolter Discipline" rule for Astartes be in place? I would assume the answer is no until the rule is made official, but I wanna check.

Two, for the purpose of the "Going Old School" achievement, do the Vanguard Primaris from the Shadowspear box count as coming out of the Space Marines codex, even though they come out of their own little mini codex? I know they basically integrate into regular Space Marines without having to take a separate detachment of them, so I'd assume so, but we know what happens when you assume...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I have two questions: 

One, will the beta "Bolter Discipline" rule for Astartes be in place? I would assume the answer is no until the rule is made official, but I wanna check.

Two, for the purpose of the "Going Old School" achievement, do the Vanguard Primaris from the Shadowspear box count as coming out of the Space Marines codex, even though they come out of their own little mini codex? I know they basically integrate into regular Space Marines without having to take a separate detachment of them, so I'd assume so, but we know what happens when you assume...

Right now, I am leaning toward "no" on the bolter discipline. I will give it some additional time before making that call.

For the Vanguard Primaris, I would need to see the Shadowspear booklet to know for sure. I'll try and track one down.

5 hours ago, evil_bryan said:

Right now, I am leaning toward "no" on the bolter discipline. I will give it some additional time before making that call.

For the Vanguard Primaris, I would need to see the Shadowspear booklet to know for sure. I'll try and track one down.

It is a full on mini codex with warlord traits, special psychic powers and even the chapter tactics. It can be played as is without the marine dex. This would reopen the entire codex and index one source question for old school...

9 hours ago, evil_bryan said:

I may need a specific example on this or more details (since the reference to the "flowchart" was lost on me.) 🙂 

Ordo won't show the flow chart, so a link is the best I can do:

https://images.app.goo.gl/aQwmXsmWbT2SYMJSA

Hopefully that works.

Basically, GW decided they were going to remove unit and wargear options that weren't available in their model range as they released codices (because converting models is bad, they're already perfect as is). The problem was, they didn't apply that logic to every codex, so some armies got restricted and some didn't. For instance, they removed hekatrix bloodbrides and trueborn when they released the Drukhari codex but they left conscripts in for Astra Millitarum.

This arbitrary process of limiting some armies and not others lead to some backlash within the community. So they made the above flow chart so that people could still use their models and be on an even playing field with GW's preferred armies. 

So it's a 2 part question:

1) Do you want to use the flowchart at all, or if your codex is released, the index options are invalid?

2) If we do use the flowchart, if there is a difference in points for the same piece of wargear between the index and codex, would you like us to pay index cost for index options, codex (updated) cost for index options, or whichever is more?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Munkie said:

Ordo won't show the flow chart, so a link is the best I can do:

https://images.app.goo.gl/aQwmXsmWbT2SYMJSA

Hopefully that works.

Basically, GW decided they were going to remove unit and wargear options that weren't available in their model range as they released codices (because converting models is bad, they're already perfect as is). The problem was, they didn't apply that logic to every codex, so some armies got restricted and some didn't. For instance, they removed hekatrix bloodbrides and trueborn when they released the Drukhari codex but they left conscripts in for Astra Millitarum.

This arbitrary process of limiting some armies and not others lead to some backlash within the community. So they made the above flow chart so that people could still use their models and be on an even playing field with GW's preferred armies. 

So it's a 2 part question:

1) Do you want to use the flowchart at all, or if your codex is released, the index options are invalid?

2) If we do use the flowchart, if there is a difference in points for the same piece of wargear between the index and codex, would you like us to pay index cost for index options, codex (updated) cost for index options, or whichever is more?

Thanks!

It look like that flowchart is part of the Designer Commentary, which is a current errata listed on the GW site. It is allowed! 🙂

Regarding points, I would defer to the top of that document which states; "Note that regardless of which datasheet you use, if you are playing a matched play game, or a game that uses a points limit, you should always use the most recently published points for your models and their weapons and wargear." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

It is a full on mini codex with warlord traits, special psychic powers and even the chapter tactics. It can be played as is without the marine dex. This would reopen the entire codex and index one source question for old school...

If that is a full on mini-dex, then it would not qualify for the Old School achievement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, evil_bryan said:

It look like that flowchart is part of the Designer Commentary, which is a current errata listed on the GW site. It is allowed! 🙂

Regarding points, I would defer to the top of that document which states; "Note that regardless of which datasheet you use, if you are playing a matched play game, or a game that uses a points limit, you should always use the most recently published points for your models and their weapons and wargear." 

Beautiful! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Bummer. That's going to change some things for me.

Bear in mind, Going Old School is only a fraction of your Sports score, which makes up only 25% of your team's Sports score, which makes up 40% of your overall score.

If the goal is to max out your Sports score st all costs, I understand changing things up. But if you're choosing not to run the army you'd enjoy playing, just for the sake of checking one box, it's probably not worth it.

I'd love to go Old School, but Drukhari are damn near unplayable with a single detachment. I certainly wouldn't enjoy playing such an army (inevitably too spammy), nor would it be particularly interesting to look at (greasy canned meat isn't pretty).

So I'm not even considering it.

You don't have to max out everything, just try to be balanced and tick the boxes that are easiest without compromising too much on what you want to bring.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I know, but as an old school grump who pines for the days of one codex, one force org chart, I thought it would be something nice to strive for. 

Absolutely! I'd just hate to see someone bend over backwards to check boxes and forget to enjoy themselves.

7 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

It's less about bending over backwards and more about what I can afford to buy at this point. I'm just getting back into the game, and like a doofus, I sold all of the stuff I had when I quit. So I'm building my army from scratch now, and I'm trying to work under a tight budget.

I say play what you want, and just come to have fun. If you ever worry about winning, achievements, scoring, or anything like that then let me share an important life lesson I learned 40 years ago. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1