Tempting Kickstarters

dkieft

Just over 24 hours left. I'm not really interested in the game, and I don't have an immediate use for the minis. It's just that there are SO MANY AWESOME MINIS! I probably won't do it, as I already have enough unused miniatures, but for $100, it's a great value for the minis alone: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/the-others-7-sins 

Just over 24 hours left. I'm not really interested in the game, and I don't have an immediate use for the minis. It's just that there are SO MANY AWESOME MINIS! I probably won't do it, as I already have enough unused miniatures, but for $100, it's a great value for the minis alone: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/the-others-7-sins 

Yup, I am tempted here, but just don't feel I should afford it right now. Plus I still do not get enough use out of Zombicide!

Yup, I am tempted here, but just don't feel I should afford it right now. Plus I still do not get enough use out of Zombicide!

One of the bigger problems is that the producer is "Cool Mini-or-Not". They have enough cashflow that Kickstarter really isn't needed for them. All they really use Kickstarter for is to cut to the Mom&Pop game stores. They also really like to ding people with Add-ons that are higher than what they would be retail. For example their Zombicide wave 2&3 ended up being more expensive than what they are sold currently at the local games stores.

The game looks cool, and I'm still looking at what everything would cost. But, I've been going out of my way to NOT back CMoN mainly based on their use of Kickstarter as a preorder system vs tyring to get something off the ground.

One of the bigger problems is that the producer is "Cool Mini-or-Not". They have enough cashflow that Kickstarter really isn't needed for them. All they really use Kickstarter for is to cut to the Mom&Pop game stores. They also really like to ding people with Add-ons that are higher than what they would be retail. For example their Zombicide wave 2&3 ended up being more expensive than what they are sold currently at the local games stores.

The game looks cool, and I'm still looking at what everything would cost. But, I've been going out of my way to NOT back CMoN mainly based on their use of Kickstarter as a preorder system vs tyring to get something off the ground.

Still looking,

This one looks better than some of their last, in terms of Add-ons and gotchas. The expainsion is the only one that has any exclusives (something I'm a sucker for). The "Teams" looks like they lack any exclusives, so those I can look at adding later, should it become a popular game.

At the 100$ level, it includes quite a few streach goals. Add-ons that have Exclusives are:

Apocalypse expansion (40$)

Men of Faith (20$)

Plastic Tokens (20$) -while they said this "might" be available for retail later, they were not 100% sure (it was in their update).

Sons of Ragnarok, Gamma Team and Delta Team do not contain exclusives, and adding via Kickstarter saves 5$ per set.

So I'll be pondering 188$ dollars from my fun funds:

Base game, Apocalypse, Men of Faith, Plastic Tokens, and 8$ extra dice pack (I've found the dice are usually worth it).

Yeah, first off, I doubt that you have looked through their tax documents to see what they can or cannot afford. I'd agree that they probably could self fund, but what they are doing is not out of the scope of kickstarter and it is not like they are doing anything unethical. But one thing that kickstarter does for them (and others) is allow them to avoid getting loans to cover production costs, and that will be a huge savings in the long run. Also, with the amount of stuff you get, it is a good deal.

I agree that their add-ons are often too expensive, but people aren't getting "dinged" with add ons. They are completely optional and the price is public info. Anyone paying for them chose to to so.

I think something else you are missing here is that Kickstarter gives them a clear view of how big the game will be based on actual interest. When their KS doesn't make it as big, they don't produce as many. Lowering the risk of over production is a huge boon to their business.

I get that it is a bit annoying, and it is certainly your choice to opt out (and mine too) but they are being smart about how they run their business and as long as it keeps working they'll keep doing it. KS has no rule about disallowing established companies from using it.

• Like 3

Yeah, first off, I doubt that you have looked through their tax documents to see what they can or cannot afford. I'd agree that they probably could self fund, but what they are doing is not out of the scope of kickstarter and it is not like they are doing anything unethical. But one thing that kickstarter does for them (and others) is allow them to avoid getting loans to cover production costs, and that will be a huge savings in the long run. Also, with the amount of stuff you get, it is a good deal.

I agree that their add-ons are often too expensive, but people aren't getting "dinged" with add ons. They are completely optional and the price is public info. Anyone paying for them chose to to so.

I think something else you are missing here is that Kickstarter gives them a clear view of how big the game will be based on actual interest. When their KS doesn't make it as big, they don't produce as many. Lowering the risk of over production is a huge boon to their business.

I get that it is a bit annoying, and it is certainly your choice to opt out (and mine too) but they are being smart about how they run their business and as long as it keeps working they'll keep doing it. KS has no rule about disallowing established companies from using it.

I wanted to come back to this a little,

I agree, what CoolMini is doing with Kickstarter is 100% within the rules. I in no way think they are doing anything shady. (I also backed Others, 7 Sins, lol).

What I was trying to suggest, as an opinion, is they don't "need" to use Kickstarter. Currently, IMHO, they are simply using kickstarter as more of a presales tool vs acutally needing the start up funds. In the long run, this hurts the physical game stores ability to stay afloat as deminishes their sellable product line.

SO, when it comes to games on Kickstarter, I try really hard to balance what will be available to me as an exclusive, and what I will be able to pickup at my local game store a little later.

What I was trying to suggest, as an opinion, is they don't "need" to use Kickstarter. Currently, IMHO, they are simply using kickstarter as more of a presales tool vs acutally needing the start up funds. In the long run, this hurts the physical game stores ability to stay afloat as deminishes their sellable product line.

That is certainly true, and it is an ingenious business move on their part. Traditionally game companies have to try to guess how many they should produce weighing the expense (probably taking a loan) (more equals cheaper per unit) against expected demand. If they mess up this they risk selling out or sitting on a pile of unsellable stock. With the KS, they get to have a solid number of sales to base production numbers from. It leaves them with whatever they choose to print on top of that for store sales.

You are correct that it cuts out the middle man which hurts distributors and retail stores, but it is a great move for them.

Also...

The Exiled: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730648781/the-exiled-siege-expand-your-city-and-fight-for-su

Interesting looking siege board game

Blackout: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1336904045/blackout-journey-into-darkness-0

Post-apoc Dungeon Crawl (Seems spendy but looks neat)

Kill Doctor Lucky: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cheapassgames/kill-doctor-lucky

Classic Cheapass games remake

I thought I had posted this one earlier. It looks like a cool coop explorer, has tons of cards: Ends in 15 hours!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-explore-survive-you-are-the-hero

I was interested in this at first, but everything I've read from people who have played it is that it's simply a choose-your-own-adventure book in card form. Not much in the way of game play.

• Like 1